8 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 09:48 PM

If you bend a blade on your deck do you replace it or all three? I've always replaced one assuming the others were ok. At work we replace the whole set.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 10:13 PM

Can't say really, as I've never bent a blade.  These older iron machines have blades so thick & strong that I've cut up a 4x4 pine & the blades came out fine, with the 4x4 turned into toothpicks.  

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 10:17 PM

I to put my blades through quite a bit, but I keep them incredibly sharp! I have never bent a blade, but have broken them before. If the others look like they could be replaced, get a whole set. If you just change one, then when the other two need replacing get all three and keep the one as an emergency spare.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 06:38 AM

There's no reason to have to replace all three at one time, as long as they are all in good shape and balanced.  For some tractors though, considering how big of a pain it is to flip the deck and get to the blades, it may save you some sweat to do it three at a time!

Ben W.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 06:53 AM

It's probably a cost vs labor / liability thing.

(The following is not my thought process... It IS the thought process of the law firm of Dewey, Screwem and Howe. )
If someone hits a rock and it clangs it's way out, it has hit the other blades.... If one of them had a flaw and if it comes apart later, someone may be able to show liability or negligence in reusing the old blades...

The labor end is what Ben mentioned, it's the reason most Schools, etc change all three or four fluorescent lights in a fixture when only one is bad. ( :wallbanging: )

#6 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,484 Thanks
  • 4,943 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 08:15 AM

I replace just one usually if I bend one, $$$ reasons mainly. As long as it's the same kind of blade as others and the others are in good condition, I don't see an issue. We've done the same on our big zero turn at church, a 3 set is over $80 so we've just replaced one before.

#7 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 03:05 PM

I have been in this situation before and changed all 3. Then when I got a chance I inspected the other 2 and checked to see if they were bent. I use a balancer that spins free and has an arm for checking the bend thing. After a resharp I added a new one to the set. I mow with an Exmark and the blades are heavy and do not bend easily. I also keep 5 sets of blades around. Then I can wait till I get a cooler day to sharpen blades.

The reason you change all the flourescent tubes in a fixture is not the labor issue. The issue is that an old tube will pull the new tube down to its level. The same reason you replace all the batteries in a diesel truck or tractor together. The weak ones destroy the new ones.

#8 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 402 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 04:46 PM

I've bent one or two in my life time and just put them in my arbor press and straighten them out and use them. Never had any issues.  

#9 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 07:12 PM

I've never get one. I've only seen 3 in the hundreds of mowers I've serviced. I've had a lot of chipped blades.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2