• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • Member No: 34405
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 07:54 PM

Here's what I have so far. Have it a test mow today and it seemed to work pretty good. Needs some gussets on the skid though.

uploadfromtaptalk1377391994593.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1377392008599.jpg

Braced up the anti-scalping wheel braces.
uploadfromtaptalk1377392021963.jpg

Added a piece of square tube to the leading edge to stiffen it up too.
uploadfromtaptalk1377392057628.jpg
  • CharlesDes said thank you

#17 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 04:58 PM

So it snowed a few weeks ago. 13" here at our house.

uploadfromtaptalk1393105946024.jpg

While shoveling everything out, I was wondering why my lazy butt had failed to get a blade put together for my tractor so I don't have to do all this by hand.

So I woke up bored today. Decided that I didn't want to do more to my truck bed because I was a little burnt out on body work and wouldn't do a good job. So I threw the sleeve hitch on the tractor and drug the blade I had disassembled around. After a few minutes, I figured out it would be quicker and faster to attach it to the front of the tractor rather than the rear.

All I really had to do was saw off the factory mounting bars and drill 1/2" holes in them. Then I made up a couple pins that go through the front deck mount hold and pin into the blades mounting bars.

uploadfromtaptalk1393106202354.jpg

I moved where the plate mounts to the blade to angle it back a little after the first test run when it wouldn't cut the surface of the ground. (No snow now, pushing ground around the parking spots.)

uploadfromtaptalk1393106278224.jpg

Over all I'm pleased. I'm going to have to work on the handle to get it back closer to the operator so I can handle it easier though.

#18 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 05:51 PM

It has also become apparent that the tractor needs cutting brakes and a better means of shuttling from forward to reverse. I may move the lift arm to the other side so I don't have to do both with one hand but it's definitely going to get moved back some.

#19 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 09:52 AM

First successful snow push!

uploadfromtaptalk1393858354426.jpg

#20 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 10:02 AM

Nice GT!

• AfterShock95 said thank you

#21 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 12:09 PM

Thanks. It's a good old tractor for the most part. It needs the spindle bearings in the deck replaced before mowing starts this year though. It also needs a higher reverse gear, it takes forever to back down the driveway. It was faster to turn around and go down forward.

I want to find an old wheel or something to attach to the sleeve hitch to add more weight when pushing. It did a lot of spinning without chains and I'm not as heavy as I was when I skidded logs with my old Massey-Ferguson #8 in high school.

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 12:39 PM

Glad Stanley is still earning his keep.

#23 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,772 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 12:47 PM

Now you need an Oliver so you can have Stanley and Oliver

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 12:48 PM

If this tractor has the variable pulley sheave system, I'd bet the pulleys are slow to return to full tension.  Could be just a simple lubing of hinge/linkage points needed.

#25 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 01:29 PM

Now you need an Oliver so you can have Stanley and Oliver

If I get an Oliver, it'll be Detroit Powered! I love that lonesome moan of a Detroit under load!

If this tractor has the variable pulley sheave system, I'd bet the pulleys are slow to return to full tension. Could be just a simple lubing of hinge/linkage points needed.

It has the gear transmission, it's just slow. It could use a range or shuttle box but it's not worth the effort. I doubt Stanley will stand up to a lot of this use. He just doesn't seem built as heavy as other GTs we've had in the past. But, so far so good!

#26 BushBoneYard OFFLINE  

BushBoneYard

• Member No: 6163
  • 36 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 03:55 AM

Without verifying I believe that should be an 820 series Peerless in that tractor. 

#27 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 07:42 AM

It is a peerless and I have the number jotted down somewhere for it. I had considered attempting an upgrade to a heavier duty unit or even a heavy hydrostatic one. After seeing how light duty the frame is made when putting on the sleeve hitch though, I think I'll just use it till he pops and buy a sub-compact tractor with loader and deck.
  • UncleWillie said thank you

#28 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 10:49 AM

My old Wizard is an AYP un it, but a similar setup, Peerless inline 5 speed, slip fit axles, which by the way are not always weaker than bolt ons. I broke my tranny going down a hill and the brakes failed, I shifted down and everything locked up. Pieces were in pieces! I swapped in a Hydro out of a late Craftsman GT 5000, huge difference, I like the hydros. My frame is not heavy as the Craftsman, but it's a garden tractor and I use a rear blade and front bucket on it with no issues, it has the B&S opposed 18 h.p. My point is I wouldn't under sell that old Stanley, if you don't overly abuse it, it should work well.

#29 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted March 22, 2014 - 03:49 PM

My old Wizard is an AYP un it, but a similar setup, Peerless inline 5 speed, slip fit axles, which by the way are not always weaker than bolt ons. I broke my tranny going down a hill and the brakes failed, I shifted down and everything locked up. Pieces were in pieces! I swapped in a Hydro out of a late Craftsman GT 5000, huge difference, I like the hydros. My frame is not heavy as the Craftsman, but it's a garden tractor and I use a rear blade and front bucket on it with no issues, it has the B&S opposed 18 h.p. My point is I wouldn't under sell that old Stanley, if you don't overly abuse it, it should work well.

I think it'll do for now. I'm used to working with 50-70hp tractors, so it gets a little more than it can chew sometimes.

Today I was attempting to root out some old stumps that have gotten pretty rotten in the yard. No such luck. Stanley gave a good push but doesn't have the weight or traction to do anything with them.

I did give him a tuneup and oil change today as well as put the deck back on after replacing the blades and the center spindle bearings. This is two sets in two years, I'm not sure what's going on there but we'll see if it lives now.

#30 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 07:01 PM

Well, life has been beating on us some and we've been holding our own for the time being. Just one of those times when everything you touch crumbles in your hands.

Anyways, Stanley got hard to start last spring. Seemed to be a bad starter so it got one of those (not direct replacement) and a new battery to no avail.

I found a thing about adjusting the valves to restore the compression relief and after that in the fall it did good the couple times I used it. Today I went to start it and it just cranked. Primed with a bit of gas and still nothing. Rechecked the valves and the left side intake had no clearance. Readjusted them and still nothing. Shot of brake cleaner in the carb and boom, she's off and we're pushing snow.

I come out a few hours later and he won't start again. Little ether this time (cause I grabbed some at Mall-Mart) and still nothing. Put the booster on it to crank faster, another shot of ether and boom, running again.

Any ideas what's going on here? I've got .004 clearance on the intake valves and .006 on the exhaust. Nice blue spark, at least from the left cylinder, when cranking. No positive pressure from the intake when cranking, choke is functioning, runs as long as I keep it running and will restart hot, just not cold.