sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 05:22 PM

Daniel I did think about you when I found this one, but when I saw the grill, rear pto, and that good tail light, (and I did not have any of those items), I decided I better keep this one. But I am still on the hunt for the next one. :-) since the first one I bought came from Kentucky, I had already decided if I found one your way that I did not want, you should have first dibs on it. (Plus you restoration of the D4-10 was the starting point for me collecting bush hogs)

George it was more north west of me than due north, so I was not up your way this time. :-)

#17 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 06:15 AM

Scott, what do they have going on with the alternator? Does it still have the brackets for the starter generator?

The second pto handle is definitely factory. It's amazing how much they changed for what seems to amount to a possible one or two year production run. Considering your serial number is only 70 some away from mine.

#18 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 06:16 AM

Looking at the one pic also it looks like your dash and my dash are exactly alike. 

#19 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 06:23 AM

Scott, what do they have going on with the alternator? Does it still have the brackets for the starter generator?

The second pto handle is definitely factory. It's amazing how much they changed for what seems to amount to a possible one or two year production run. Considering your serial number is only 70 some away from mine.

The alternator was put on by the previous owner(s). The starter generator is there.....just only being used as a starter....will need to rewire when I have time. He had put another carb on it from a tiller......looking over what I have found so far....the HH100 and HH120 carb may be interchangeable....some places I have read looks like a yes....some places look like a no......I do have a hh100 on a bush hog D4-10 that was only going to be used as a parts tractor.....when I have time I will see if they are interchangeable.....sure be nice not to have to buy a carb. I do have the air filter assembly etc.....at this point I am not sure what it is exactly supposed to look like under the hood......my other has the Wisconsin and I have noticed on the D4-10 the Tecumseh's definitely have a different set up than the Wisconsin's.

#20 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 06:28 AM

So your HD-12 does have a Tecumseh in it?

I knew they used the different brand engines in the other models. I guess they used whatever was more readily available at that time. You will have to get it running and get some video of it. :D

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 08:23 AM

Yes, the carbs will swap between the HH100 & H120.

• sacsr said thank you

#22 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 10:36 PM

Well, may have a problem, the serial number on the tecumseh motor is 5141E. That puts this motor as a May 21,1965 motor, all my records show the HD-12 first showed up in July of 1967. Hmmmmmmm. Looks like it may have been repowered.

#23 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 05:39 PM

Maybe they had old engines kicking around in surplus back then?

#24 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 05:52 PM

I have been looking on the internet to find out when they started making the solid state ignition Tecumseh's. I am going to pull the tank to make sure I have written down the serial number correctly.....but pretty sure I am right.

I bought 3 cole-hersee switches last night on ebay for $4.99 plus shipping......$10.99 delivered for 3 new switches and keys!! $3.67  each!!! To say the least I was pleased, most all these bush hogs used cole-hersee switches.......

$(KGrHqN,!rMFG!IFN3c6BRkt9HN(Yg~~60_57.jpg

Edited by sacsr, May 22, 2013 - 06:04 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#25 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 06:09 PM

Scott, I believe they dropped the points for solid state around mid 1967.  Same time Massey switched over to them.  Early 67 Massey's had points, later 67 had solid state.

• sacsr said thank you

#26 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 06:16 PM

Scott, I believe they dropped the points for solid state around mid 1967.  Same time Massey switched over to them.  Early 67 Massey's had points, later 67 had solid state.

Well this motor has solid state ignition decal on the shroud so maybe it was built in 67......I am going to take the tank off ....the information is under it and I was using a flash light in the dark reading it......I DO wear GLASSES for a reason. :D   Thanks Daniel!

I was able to turn over the motor but it was slowwwwww.....so I figured maybe the ground was not good (I had checked the battery plus added a jumper just in case so I was getting juice)......anyway cleaned all the contact points on the solenoid....which was pretty rusty and the nothing.......no click no nothing.......going back out to see if I can figure out where the juice stops.......I had a spare cole hersee solenoid in my bushhog parts.....no numbers on it... how do I know if it could used as a replacement? Has the same amount of poles....

#27 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 06:21 PM

.I had a spare cole hersee solenoid in my bushhog parts.....no numbers on it... how do I know if it could used as a replacement? Has the same amount of poles....

Same amount of poles....it'll work fine.

• sacsr said thank you

#28 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:39 PM

I think this was a re-power. We're they still using solid state ignitions in 1975? Looking closer at the frame, I am seeing evidence of extra cuts an welding. Going to see if I can find out what the original motor was. They did put both Tecumseh and Wisconsin's in the HD-12.

Check out this wiring. Looks like I am going to have to start from scratch. This will be a first for me.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Edited by sacsr, May 22, 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#29 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 04:50 PM

I was looking at the foot boards and fenders on this HD-12. Then went to look at my D4-10 and V3-6........guess what......same footboards on all the models.....looking closer.....same fenders on all these models......will post pictures but the fenders are mounted differently on the HD-12 to get the coverage needed.

First picture is the HD-12  Second picture is the D4-10

IMG_3138.JPG IMG_3139.JPG

Edited by sacsr, May 28, 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#30 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 06:19 PM

The rear hitch on the HD-12 are not interchangeable with other models. The one on this HD12 had been welded and modified. Lucky for me, I had a NOS one that I got from Jack a year or two ago........so will and easy fix to put it back to it's original state.

IMG_3154.JPG

I have taken the pto reduction gear box and frame off.....will take it apart make sure it is in good shape internally, put new seals and gaskets to stop the leaking then put it on my other HD-12. This is a nice bonus if you buy a HD-12 with this option installed.

IMG_3157.JPG IMG_3159.JPG

• olcowhand said thank you