• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 06:15 PM

My fuel pump died on my Woods ZTR last nite as I tried to mow my yard. 12HP Kohler Magnum cast iron engine.

--I looked on Ebay. seen 'em listed there as high as $129... for a mechanical pump! yikes

--looked on pats small engine out of Minnesota, $28.something for OE kohler  that's more like it.

--looked up on Jack's... IIRC 65.00 or something like that for the same pump!

--called the local small engine shop 2 miles down the road. yeah they got it on the shelf,l but at $122 I'll wait for Pat's to mail me one....I can live with an orange lawn ornament for a few days for that much price difference, ya think?

I ordered 2, since my spare 12HP Kohler under the bench will need one too (I robbed that one already)  once I get it back together.  $56 + 7.90 shipping for 2 of them.  what are these guys thinking in asking $100+ for the same part?  I cant see how they are still in business with the prices they want.

For what its worth I bought all the rebuild parts for that spare motor from Pat's  as well... o/s piston, u/s rod, gaskets, carb kit and all, and all OEM Genuine kohler, a while back.

• larryd and JRJ have said thanks

#2 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 17, 2013 - 06:24 PM

I buy a lot of parts from Pat's.

#3 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 06:37 PM

Same here, I've bought from them many times. Kohler parts mostly.

#4 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 08:11 PM

haven't had the need yet this year for "that much" but each of the last few years I have ordered $300-500 of stuff from them at a time.... used to be $300 got ya free shipping but no more;  the 1st 2 times I ordered from them I was ohhh so close to that but not quite  seems that since putting together such an order now a days is easier they did away with that perk.

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 08:31 PM

Parts guys think sometimes like garden tractor owners: "I'm sitting on a gold mine!"

Sure, there are some things that demand dictates a value, or the purchase expense dictates a value (even though it was bought 20 years ago).  But if Pat's can get a part for 20 something, and the other guy is selling it for nearly 10 times that, there's a bit of the ol' hand in the pocket routine!

Ben W.

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 08:16 AM

Hope you don't have to go buy a SSI module for a Tecumseh.....up to $250 for a 35 yr old use electrical part...that's crazy.

#7 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 08:32 AM

You know, nothing is cheap or even a good price anymore.

Dick

#8 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 09:14 PM

Hope you don't have to go buy a SSI module for a Tecumseh.....up to $250 for a 35 yr old use electrical part...that's crazy.

yup  I had a new and a used one here last year I went to sell it on "the other tractor forum" and had little interest, I wound up getting that price for the new one with about 20 lbs of other parts packed with it after a ton of badgering over the price...

this while the fireworks was all going on with that forum (nevermind if you weren't there there was nothing to see)

You know, nothing is cheap or even a good price anymore.

Dick

yeah I know and considering most now comes to us on a "slow boat" that makes what they charge for parts even more maddening....