#1 harrycu OFFLINE  

harrycu

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1397
  • 4 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 08:58 AM

Would someone please explain to this dumb old hillbilly what a patio tractor is? I keep getting these images in my head of a tractor parked on the patio and never being moved or used....?

Thanks,
Harry

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 09:14 AM

The jd patio tractor was the 110,112,120,140.They are the same tractor as the green ones only painted dogwood white with a different colored hood and seat.The colors for the seat and hood were red,yellow,sunset orange and spruce blue.It was a marketing gimmic back then that flopped but are sought after now.There was alot of them repainted green and the seat and hoods replaced by dealers so they could sell them.The model/serial number plate would let you now if it is a paito tractor that has been repainted.
  • FirefyterEmt and harrycu have said thanks

#3 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 09:41 AM

Would someone please explain to this dumb old hillbilly what a patio tractor is? I keep getting these images in my head of a tractor parked on the patio and never being moved or used....?

Thanks,
Harry

As stated, the only difference between the "Custom Color Series" tractors and the green/yellow tractors was the appearance. There was an opinion that sales would improve if tractors were offered with colours that appealed to women. It seemed like a good idea at the time because I'm sure that Deere did considerable research on how much of a role wives played in the decision making process of major ticket items as well as the selection of the shades of orange, blue, yellow and red.

As I understand it, the tractors were shipped to the dealers without a seat or hood. Those were shipped separately and dealers were expected to stock seats and hoods in all four colours so they could put them on the Dogwood White tractors as per the customers choice. The term "Patio Tractor" was never used by Deere at the time. It was coined by someone later on and has stuck ever since to describe the tractors that left the factory painted white during those four years of production.

Today, those tractors have become a fairly hot collector item with some guys managing to obtain at least one of every colour. The seat is unique to these tractors as it has a special pan that has never been duplicated. A pristine, original seat has brought as much as $1300.00 all by itself at auction. Rarely does a seat bring less than $500.00 if it doesn't need recovering.
  • harrycu said thank you

#4 harrycu OFFLINE  

harrycu

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 09:55 AM

Thanks, guys. Inquiring minds wanted to know. LOL

Harry

#5 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 10:03 AM

If you go in the gallery section and then go to John Deere I believe the first image is a patio tractor. We have seen quite a few at the tractor shows that we have attended. Also check the gallery for the Little Guys show. The first image has two patio tractors.

Edited by grand, November 03, 2010 - 10:11 AM.

#6 harrycu OFFLINE  

harrycu

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted November 04, 2010 - 07:40 AM

If you go in the gallery section and then go to John Deere I believe the first image is a patio tractor. We have seen quite a few at the tractor shows that we have attended. Also check the gallery for the Little Guys show. The first image has two patio tractors.

I have seen the pictures of patio tractors and I knew they were different colors...I just wondered what else set them apart and how they got started. BHTS and Hydrive seem to have answered my questions.

Thanks,
Harry