#46 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 09:32 AM

Neighbors got to love them,  :bigrofl:

I grow up in the city close enough so you knew what next door had for dinner, best thing I ever did was move, only half hour from city but a different world. When "townies" ask where I live in town and I tell them, even they say "you live in the boonies" no neighbors except pine and oak trees and junk everywhere. I blame it on my mother being from the hills of WV. :D

P.S. My kids hate it (sticks living), but I always tell them some day you will understand.

I'm right there with you on that. I live 43 miles from work. But my commute is only 45 minutes because it's all highway except 1 mile..

People I work with comment often on how far I drive and that they can not imagine that long drive everyday.

But the truth is many of them have a 30+ minute drive through the city.

I'll take the boonies over sirens all night every night anytime!!

I have one neighbor close, and we get along very well. Since he parks his snow sleds outside(covered on his trailer)  We have no problems at all. He is the Fire Chief in Newton and is from Minnesota and is gone back north every couple weeks.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 13, 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#47 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 10:11 AM

Same here... 45 mile drive that takes me 45 minutes or less and all my co-works make the same comments... $200-$300 in fuel every month to get to work sucks though... I need to find me an old rabbit diesel that get 50mpg's!!

#48 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 12:26 PM

My commute to work is about 50 feet, however, when I get to work I usually wind up driving 150-200 miles a day doing that job. I love it.

#49 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 05:05 PM

I'm right there with you on that. I live 43 miles from work. But my commute is only 45 minutes because it's all highway except 1 mile..

People I work with comment often on how far I drive and that they can not imagine that long drive everyday.

But the truth is many of them have a 30+ minute drive through the city.

I'll take the boonies over sirens all night every night anytime!!

I have one neighbor close, and we get along very well. Since he parks his snow sleds outside(covered on his trailer)  We have no problems at all. He is the Fire Chief in Newton and is from Minnesota and is gone back north every couple weeks.

I commute 60 miles each way, but it takes an hour and a half each way since we drive the last 20 miles on a county road and through the small town where my base is located... plus we pick up passengers for our van pool.

I looked real hard at moving out by work just to cut down all the "seat time" in the van... but both our mothers are elderly and frail, plus the grandkids would be an hour away... so we decided not to.

What I would really like is to get a job at the Air Force base 2 miles from my house, then move out to rural Box Elder County near where mom lives. Would only be about a 30 mile, 30 minute commute then.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, June 13, 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#50 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 05:07 PM

Same here... 45 mile drive that takes me 45 minutes or less and all my co-works make the same comments... $200-$300 in fuel every month to get to work sucks though... I need to find me an old rabbit diesel that get 50mpg's!!

I had a Toyota Tercel that got 41-43 mpg, and an '87 S-10 pickup with Iron Duke 4 cylinder and 5 speed that got 35 mpg...

Both gave great service for a long time and ultimately just wore out.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, June 13, 2013 - 05:07 PM.

• twostep said thank you

#51 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 09:26 PM

Yeah the wife said a couple weeks ago, if you got laid off we would not be that bad off.
With your social security, and 4-5 hundred in fuel savings per month it would be very close to your take home pay.

I used to drive a VW diesel and loved it. And have considered another econo-box. But as I get older looking out the side window and being able to count the lug nuts on an 18 wheeler seems much more intimidating??

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 13, 2013 - 09:27 PM.

• twostep said thank you

#52 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 09:37 PM

my daily beater is a '97 accord that I paid dirt for and rebuilt the top end of the engine. paid for and gets 32mpg's so it'll stick around for a while I guess.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cub cadet, case 195, mf-7, parts, scrap, ss-16, sears, gt18, ford