UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 01:04 PM

That's pretty good William The guy I work for did the same thing more or less the guy and his wife liveing next to him had a problem with the right of way that he had though there place {now keep in mind this was on the deed win they bought the place anyway they took him to court and lost at witch point he whated the cash they cost him back.So win they desided to move he put up a hood fence along there property lines.Seems it's harder to sell a house win the guy next door has a fence like that.
Anyway it worked he got his money back but cought Hell from his wife the whole time it was up {LOL}

The guy who was calling me in was a jerk from the day I moved in. I would walk outside and fart and he would call in a noise complaint. He called on one night after we had been in bed for 5 hours. I asked the cop if I was snoring too loud.

One night we were down it the field just talking. NO yelling no music. I looked up and there was a cop in the driveway. I drove up and he said the guy had called in a noise compliant and he had been there 20 minutes and didn't even realize we were outside.

The idiot was trying to sell a double wide on 4 acres of land after the economy tanked for $250k. He had built a huge house in a fancy neighborhood and was trying to pay for it. He finally took the next offer he got which was $90k. My new neighbor is great. I told him he owes me money for getting the price down.

#32 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 03:25 PM

Neighbors got to love them,  :bigrofl:

I grow up in the city close enough so you knew what next door had for dinner, best thing I ever did was move, only half hour from city but a different world. When "townies" ask where I live in town and I tell them, even they say "you live in the boonies" no neighbors except pine and oak trees and junk everywhere. I blame it on my mother being from the hills of WV. :D

P.S. My kids hate it (sticks living), but I always tell them some day you will understand.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#33 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 10:45 AM

I would think if the city sees you are making an effort to clean up they will not bother you in just a week

Exactly.  Someone complained, they issued their notice, now on to the next complaint.  They'll check back with you when the original person complains again.

I had a friend who used to get clean-up notices every year.  He would shuffle everything around and move a car or two behind the house, out of the view from the road, and then wouldn't hear another word till the next year.

And everyone who says we'll be seeing more of this in the future is correct.  There is a big push at the state and federal levels to get local municipalities to adopt universal zoning ordinances or face the loss of matching funds.   In PA there's a corporation receiving state funding that wrote a set of "state approved" zoning laws.  They're going around pressuring (and paying) local township and borough supervisors to pass this set of zoning ordinances regardless of residents feelings on the matter.  In exchange the townships receive their government handout grants and matching funds and this business takes a cut of all of it.

Pennsylvania is currently having the state Dept. of Environmental Protection force a "no burning" ordinance on any municipality with over a certain population density or over 5000 residents.  The municipality has no say or vote in the matter.  We're talking NO burning other than for religious or recreational purposes.  Half the residents of a township that was recently added to the list had no trash pickup so burned all their trash.  Now they are being forced to pay $75 a quarter for garbage collection.  My biggest problem with it is that we can't burn brush or leaves.  I have 25+ trees on my acre so I obviously get a lot of branches and brush accumulating constantly.  I have to pile it up and sit on it until the occasional township brush drop-off happens to coincide with my schedule.  This is a major problem for anyone without a truck or trailer to deliver their brush.  The township supervisors just wink and tell you to keep a pack of hot dogs with you while burning brush but one of my neighbors tried that little trick and ended up getting billed for the fire dept. response to his property.  Funny thing is, they say this law doesn't restrict burning for recreational purposes in a chimenea or fire pit on a patio but if you actually read the burn law, it requires fires to be at least 50 feet from a structure.  That's a mighty big patio.

Edited by Canawler, May 19, 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#34 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 01:57 PM

Pile up your limbs and get out the wieners and marshmallows for a recreational burn. What can they say?

I suppose burning crosses in someones front yard is OK?

#35 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,589 Thanks
  • 3,904 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 03:26 PM

Sorry to hear this Smitty.  This trend will only get worse. 

I am very lucky as my stuff can't be seen from either of the two highways that border my place.  There is also CRP fields on all four sides of me so neighbors are even farther away.  The guy that owns CRP ground on two sides of me lives 3 hours away.  I see him so infrequently that he has to introduce himself every time I see him.  In a satelite view not much shows because I have the big stuff sitting out back in the hedge row.  I spray Roundup around the old cars and tractors so weeds are not a problem.  If anyone were to complain about my "stuff" I know they been trespassing.  Yet it's only 7 miles to town -  8 miles to work. 

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#36 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 10:27 PM

Well, I wanted to give an update on my situation.  I went to work and cleaned up everything that could be viewed from the street.  I also rearranged my tractors, got a couple running, posted a for sale sign for them on the front lawn, and listed them in the classified. I also attacked the plum trees that are growing like berry vines in my back yard, and trimmed back a lot of stuff and made a dump run.

The city extended my "probation" for a week... which ended two weeks ago.  I haven't heard from anyone, so I'm assuming they're satisfied... for the time being.

I also sold my CC125 with dozer and hydraulic lift last night for $575. I wanted a little more, but I'm happy overall.

But now I got a guy with a non-running JD317 and a runner that's available, and I'm feeling the old urge rising again... I've resisted it so far, with the help of Trac-Anon, but it's a powerful addiction....

Smitty

• John@Reliable, MH81, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#37 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 11:21 PM

but it's a powerful addiction....

Hang in there Smitty, in another thirty years the withdrawal symptoms will pass.

Sounds like you really got the yard cleaned up. I hope everyone is happy now. 

#38 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 11:27 PM

there is no cure for the addiction

#39 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 04:56 AM

Hang in there Smitty, in another thirty years the withdrawal symptoms will pass.
Sounds like you really got the yard cleaned up. I hope everyone is happy now.

well, there's still more to do, and I want to get it done...
I have some momentum, now, I just need to keep at it.

#40 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 05:06 AM

there is no cure for the addiction

Oh, dang!!... I guess there's nothing to do but give in!! (When I've Made room for it)

Smitty

#41 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 08:30 AM

Funny, with a junk pile out back, a burn barrel behind the shed, a Jeep, a popup, and a car hauler all randomly parked somwhere on the property... I still get complements from our neighbors about how much nicer the place looks. Of course I did pull up 7 WAY over grown bushes from the front of the house, trimmed up the 20 trees and planted flowers in the flower bed. I also cleared about a 1/3 acre lot of brush and ceder saplings that the PO's just let grow because they were lazy.

#42 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 08:37 AM

...NO burning other than for religious or recreational purposes.  Half the residents of a township that was recently added to the list had no trash pickup so burned all their trash...

so recreation is allowed but necessity is not... typical.

#43 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 10:14 AM

so recreation is allowed but necessity is not... typical.

Time to throw a party around the burn barrel.

• Utah Smitty and twostep have said thanks

#44 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 11:07 AM

A buddy of mine had the same problem with the city of Elkhart In. He rebuilt and collected cars and worked on them outside. They cited a ruling that his land was not to have any structures, garbage, old vehicles, or anything deemed junk by the city standards, 25 ft from any city road. So he got a lawyer and sued Elkhart that they now had to buy all the homes along his street including his. Using the same ordinance agent the city. Well 6 months back Elkhart widened his street from 2 lanes to 5 lanes, witch put that 25ft mark smack dab in the middle of his living room. Elkhart dropped the suit against him and never bothered him again.

Edited by BaumBaum, June 12, 2013 - 11:15 AM.

• MH81, Amigatec and twostep have said thanks

#45 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 02:21 PM

A buddy of mine had the same problem with the city of Elkhart In. He rebuilt and collected cars and worked on them outside. They cited a ruling that his land was not to have any structures, garbage, old vehicles, or anything deemed junk by the city standards, 25 ft from any city road. So he got a lawyer and sued Elkhart that they now had to buy all the homes along his street including his. Using the same ordinance agent the city. Well 6 months back Elkhart widened his street from 2 lanes to 5 lanes, witch put that 25ft mark smack dab in the middle of his living room. Elkhart dropped the suit against him and never bothered him again.

Yeah, cities get too big for their britches, and tend to be bullies after a while.  And, as is true with bullies everywhere, generally a good punch in the nose get's their attention and helps bring about a "change in heart."

• Craig. said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cub cadet, case 195, mf-7, parts, scrap, ss-16, sears, gt18, ford