IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 07:04 PM

What about a big green tarp to cover everything, and ask for an extension, so you can deal

with it in a proper manner. Surely, they can bend a bit. 1 week, isn't much notice.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#18 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Sorry to hear that! Last summer I was afraid the town would do the dame to me, so I moved all of my stuff into the woods where it is not visible from the road.

#19 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 08:04 PM

SO sorry that you have to deal with the city BS. Probably some new neighbor complained.

#20 af9023 OFFLINE  

af9023
  • Member No: 35944
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 08:08 PM

What about the dairy barn stalls?  Could you rent  2 or 3  for a while?  Store what you can in a couple, work in the others.

What work is being done at the dairy? Maybe trade space for repair time on their equipment. 

Some body has too much time on their hands.

T. J.

#21 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,518 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 10:46 PM

I think if someone filed a signed complaint than the city has to follow through on it. Your tax dollars at work.

The problem with idle accumulations of things in a yard is they can start to harbor rodents and the next thing you know the neighbors are involved. We once lived in a small town and the neighbor had one old car setting in the alley. One winter night while visiting the bathroom I happen to look out the window and it became pretty apparent that the old car was now a 4 star motel for rats. They stood out pretty good on the snow. I'm not saying this is Smitty's situation but they have to draw the line somewhere or it will get out of hand.

I can sympathize with Smitty but I can also see the cities concerns. One way of another I hope you can get things worked out without too much trouble.

Good luck! 

Edited by Cvans, May 17, 2013 - 10:47 PM.

• Utah Smitty and twostep have said thanks

#22 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 11:09 PM

But there's also two sides to every story :D

While a agree with it's my house I can do what I want,

but if it's seen by others it's now affecting them and lets face it not everyone likes junk enough to look at it every day like us :thumbs:

Studies have been done about "urban disorder" and it's called the broken window theory

P.S. I would be pissed if only given a week, that isn't realistic.

Edited by John@Reliable, May 17, 2013 - 11:10 PM.

• Utah Smitty and twostep have said thanks

#23 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 01:34 AM

I sit on the local planning commission in the town I live in. My experience with this sort of matter leads me to believe you need to do some digging. Your notice seems aweful short. Keep in mind the laws vary from state to state.

Its funny being on the other side of the table. Some resident whines, and the board has the city attorney send out a notice. Here's what they won't tell you, it might not be in the towns financial and legal interest to pursue you if need be. They just push to see if you will get scared.

I laugh complainers out of our meetings when it comes to old cars, machines, firewood piles, etc. Why? Because we have condemned buildings that are uninhabitable that are far more of an issue than an old machine. Two years ago a condemned building (next to town hall) collapsed into the main street in the middle of the night. It layed there for 2 years until the residents of town had to take out a $110,000  bond for the cleanup and asbestos abatement. The property owner was never taken to court, he has a ton of property, but not 2 cents to rub together.

I have a new theory for govenment, the D6 CAT theory, start dealing with the real trash in your community with a dozer. Trash buildings are what needs to be dealt with in this country, but it's alot more work dealing with derelict property owners than picking on harry homeowner.

• olcowhand, MH81, IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,720 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 05:16 AM

Sorry to hear this Smitty! Good luck with it!

#25 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 08:04 AM

I sit on the local planning commission in the town I live in.  

I have a new theory for govenment, the D6 CAT theory, start dealing with the real trash in your community with a dozer. Trash buildings are what needs to be dealt with in this country, but it's alot more work dealing with derelict property owners than picking on harry homeowner.

That's exactly what I was meaning.  Tend to majors first, then property owners will better understand what you are trying to do.  Hard for Joe Smith to understand the city wanting him to clean up his place when major buildings/etc crumble in the streets.

But Smitty, it may be quite possible you end up feeling good to have some of your stuff in new homes &/or better organized.

• Utah Smitty and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#26 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 09:52 AM

That's exactly what I was meaning.  Tend to majors first, then property owners will better understand what you are trying to do.  Hard for Joe Smith to understand the city wanting him to clean up his place when major buildings/etc crumble in the streets.

But Smitty, it may be quite possible you end up feeling good to have some of your stuff in new homes &/or better organized.

I hope I didn't convey the idea that I was a complete victim of a soul-less bureaucracy.  There is much in my yard that I need to organize and to clean up. 

We had a neighbor a few years ago that would report me and a couple other neighbors every year.  Ironic thing was, there was a rental house across the street from me where they let the weeds take over the front lawn and were literally up to your waist (ordinance says NMT 12"). Nothing was ever done about it.  When I mentioned it to the Code Enforcer, I was told "that's a different department's responsibility"--apparently it never occurred to her to tell them about it...

I don't want to keep everything... I love the quality of the Cub Cadets, but they're a little small for me to ride comfortably (interference between steering wheel and abdomen), so I've decided to move away from them.  The Sears GTs are good tractors, but their seats sit even closer to the steering wheel, plus I'm not a big fan of belt drive due to the extra maintenance cost of belts, idlers, etc. They also have manual transmissions, which is a workout for me when plowing or working in the garden...I got spoiled after using my White GT 1650 this year.

And, you're right Dan, I will feel better to get some of them sent to new homes, etc. I just don't want to see them scrapped, or the runners parted out.

Last fall I put an ad in our local online classifieds, which has coverage in 4 states--got some tire kickers, and some wanting to buy a running Cub Cadet 127 for $150... etc.

I've semi-ignored them this year--after we got decent weather in April, I've been up to my eyes putting in gardens, replacing the engine and rebuilding the transmission on my MILs Troybilt tiller, helping neighbors in several projects, etc.

I've checked the ordinance--I can tarp up non-running tractors if I'm restoring them (I'm trying to do so!!!), but the spare parts I have--rolling chassis, engines, hoods, etc. are considered automotive parts and I can't "store" them outside on the property.

I do have a large storage spot I rent, but it's full of spare engines, a Ford LGT, a FEL, and a dumping trailer that the loader is sitting in.

Anyway, sorry for the long post.  Thanks to all for your concern and suggestions.  I wasn't able to do much this week due to getting extremely sick Monday and Tuesday (shingles compounded by cellulitis) but I've taken all next week off from work, and, if I can get my SILs to help out, I hope to get things to the point where they'll pass muster.

Again thanks to all..

Utah Smitty

• olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks

#27 drbish OFFLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 1,162 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 10:05 AM

I would think if the city sees you are making an effort to clean up they will not bother you in just a week

#28 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 11:13 AM

One way to get them off you back is to get them so busy they can't come back. I know a guy who got in a visit from the inspector for a car in his yard that he was restoring - neighbor complained. SO he drove around and took pictures of hundreds of other code violations in the city and turned them all in. He never saw the inspector again.

I had a neighbor that kept complaining about me working on stuff. I looked up the ordinances and found out that if the vehicles were under a roof there was nothing the county could do. So I took a bunch of old garage doors and built a carport. It was hideeous and right where the complaining neighbor could see it.

He complained about something else and the inspector came out and looked around and said there was nothing I was doing that was in violation. His exact words were, "It is your property do whatever the hell you want to on it." I told him to inform the neighbor that if he complained again I would take the rest of the old garage doors and build a 10 foot tall privacy fence between up and paint his side hot pink. I never heard anything again. About 4 month later he moved out. 

Good luck getting it cleaned out. If I was closer I would take a couple of the Sears off your hands.

• olcowhand and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#29 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 11:24 AM

We will be seeing more of this all the time and I understand both sides.Don't get me worng I have a bunch of tractors and misc outside but I do try to keep them in neat rows and the grass and weeds out of them. I'm lucky my Father is on one side of me and the guy I work for owns on other side and there are woods that keep most of the rest from not haveing to look at it.

But were I work we have been picking up cars trucks and whatever because Insurance companies told people they were going to cancel for Insurance if not moved so look out there will be more issues everywere

Sorry you have to get rid of some of your things though

#30 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 11:34 AM

One way to get them off you back is to get them so busy they can't come back. I know a guy who got in a visit from the inspector for a car in his yard that he was restoring - neighbor complained. SO he drove around and took pictures of hundreds of other code violations in the city and turned them all in. He never saw the inspector again.

I had a neighbor that kept complaining about me working on stuff. I looked up the ordinances and found out that if the vehicles were under a roof there was nothing the county could do. So I took a bunch of old garage doors and built a carport. It was hideeous and right where the complaining neighbor could see it.

He complained about something else and the inspector came out and looked around and said there was nothing I was doing that was in violation. His exact words were, "It is your property do whatever the hell you want to on it." I told him to inform the neighbor that if he complained again I would take the rest of the old garage doors and build a 10 foot tall privacy fence between up and paint his side hot pink. I never heard anything again. About 4 month later he moved out. 

Good luck getting it cleaned out. If I was closer I would take a couple of the Sears off your hands.

That's pretty good William The guy I work for did the same thing more or less the guy and his wife liveing next to him had a problem with the right of way that he had though there place {now keep in mind this was on the deed win they bought the place anyway they took him to court and lost at witch point he whated the cash they cost him back.So win they desided to move he put up a hood fence along there property lines.Seems it's harder to sell a house win the guy next door has a fence like that.
Anyway it worked he got his money back but cought Hell from his wife the whole time it was up {LOL}
  • olcowhand said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cub cadet, case 195, mf-7, parts, scrap, ss-16, sears, gt18, ford