• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 06:21 AM

I would revisit that float. The B48G on my FF was surging/hunting real bad and no adjustments would smooth it out. Pulled the top off the carb and the float was high. I have a low PSI pump on it. May be just enough pressure to bend the float a little. I also changed over to the brass float.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#32 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 03:50 PM

When you had the electric fuel pump on was the filter before or after the pump ? Reason I ask is some fuel filters will not flow on gravity or suction side on these small engines . I've been using the yellow fuel lines to make it easier when you have fuel related problems , you can see if there's fuel , bubbles ect

The fuel filter was on the carb side of the pump--but I tried the pump BEFOFE I put the brass float 8n it.

Thanks for the tip on the fuel lines.

Smitty

#33 JiminRI OFFLINE  

JiminRI
  • Member No: 62914
  • 65 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 10:53 PM

Hey Utah Smitty,

Did you ever solve this problem? The solution could help a lot of us at some point in time.

In your original post you mention occasional black smoke. That could indicate that the gas mixture is too rich.

I had a similar problem (run at idle but not at speed) after replacing points and condenser a couple of years ago on my SS-16 (Onan Twin BS/MF 16 hp) that had been stored for about ten years. It turned out the new points or condenser were bad (I've been meaning to install them separately to find out which is bad, but haven't gotten to it) - cleaning and reinstalling old points and condenser solved my problem. Last winter it started running rough and stalled out while using the snow blower. It would restart immediately and run at low rpms only so I limped back to the shed. Replacing the gas filter solved that problem - used a see through plastic filter from NAPA (part number 740-1155). My tractor still has the standard fuel pump on the carb but I did replace the fiber float with a brass float.

JiminRI

#34 indslpwr04 OFFLINE  

indslpwr04
  • Member No: 71143
  • 26 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 10:29 AM

Change that composite float first before doing anymore playing with it.  They absorb fuel and get heavy and no longer float causing major issues.  They are not to much. look on ebay. Ill bet that will solve 90% of your issue.  

#35 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 767 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 12:42 AM

I know your carb was rebuilt a year ago but this sounds like dirt in the main jet/idle circut. Wich, is sloshing in the bowl then getting sucked into the jet plugging the jet then falling back down out after it is shut off. Or the float. You said it doesn't cut out if you choke it a little , if the pump is working as you say it is starving for fuel and it's the float or the carb needs cleaned really good if you clean it and it still does it clean it again, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 times
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#36 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 11:16 PM

Thanks, Gary, I'll check that out.

I've had the engine on the back burner since then... I let my mom use another tractor I had.  But, now that the snow is going to make me hole up in my man cave, I'll revisit it.

Smitty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carburetor, onan, fuel, fuel delivery