• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 petepete OFFLINE  

petepete

• Member No: 1457
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 - 11:20 PM

Been looking around for best prices on new tires for back of my gt.
It now have 23x10.50-12 turf tires on it. I was thinking of going with 23x8.50-12 Tru Power. But found a local tire dealer that has some 23x8.50-12 R4 tires mounted that he said would sell at cost.
Now my question, could there be much difference in traction between the tru power and the R4? Both are 4-ply. Any other advantage of one over the other?

Posted Image

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 03:53 AM

I think the tru power would give you some added traction.
Have you checked out Gene's site?
Mention your from GTT and he will give you a deal.
GEARWORKS MFG.COM CUSTOM WHEELS REPLICA WHEELS TIRES
  • petepete said thank you

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 04:40 AM

Personally I like the AG tread,but the Industrial tread isn't as hard on the lawn. IMO

#4 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 06:03 AM

Being an old farm boy I preffer the ag tread tires. I wouild think the ags would give a little more traction as the tread is more open and could dig into the soil more. The other tire is less open but may not dig into the turf as much.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 07:43 AM

IMO, if you're gardening, the ag tread will be better. With the open tread, they wont be as likely to clog while you're rolling in the freshly turned soil. If you're doing a lot of "yard" work, the industrial tread will be easier on the sod.

#6 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 08:37 AM

I have read that some R4 tires have stiffer sidewalls, and there for dont flex on uneven ground, Reducing traction.

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 08:47 AM

The R4 tires we use at work are air-over-foam construction. Even flat they don't ride on the rims. I don't know that these are like that though!

#8 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 08:52 AM

I'd go with the ag. I have had them on every tractor I have owned except for a Wheel Horse I had for a while. I have no experience with the R4 on garden tractors but I did have my BIL's JD backhoe over at my farm for a few weeks and I got stuck with it several times in the greasy mud we get in the spring. My tractor had no such issues.

#9 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 09:40 AM

I would go with the Carlisle Tru Power if you are gardening. On a lawn, the R4s would be a better choice. I have two sets of Tru Powers on the tractors I use in the dirt and I like them a lot.

#10 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 09:57 AM

Everyone here is quite correct. The Tru Power's are the best choice.

The R-4 tread was developed for machines that spent half their time in the dirt and the other half on paved surfaces. If you have a 4 wheel drive loader or loader/backhoe or a skid-steer loader. the R-4's shine in these applications because the wide bars will last a lot longer on paved surfaces than the skinny bars on ag tires will. Since your primary purpose for the tractor is working in soft dirt, the Tru Powers will give you far superior traction to that of the R-4's so don't even hesitate here. They are not inexpensive though and you might want to consider the Nanco's that are offered by one of the site sponsors here.

#11 petepete OFFLINE  

petepete

• Member No: 1457
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 10:25 AM

Thanks for all the input. The R4s at cost intrigued me but there is more to consider than just price. As far as mileage, I'll probably never wear out the ag treads anyway.
I will probably go with the Tru Power. At least I am sure they are American made!

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 10:38 AM

R4's spin easy on grass, plus they are stiffer, so don't conform to soil as well either.....I say ags all the way.

Edited by olcowhand, October 29, 2010 - 02:44 PM.

#13 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 11:59 AM

I will probably go with the Tru Power. At least I am sure they are American made!

Are you sure? Have you contacted them and asked? Carlisle imports tires too, so unless someone has confirmed that Tru Power ags are marked "Made in the USA" on the sidewalls, then it's possible that they are made elsewhere with the Carlisle name on them. The guys here that own Tru Powers might want to comment on this issue because I don't know.

#14 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 01:40 PM

Are you sure? Have you contacted them and asked? Carlisle imports tires too, so unless someone has confirmed that Tru Power ags are marked "Made in the USA" on the sidewalls, then it's possible that they are made elsewhere with the Carlisle name on them. The guys here that own Tru Powers might want to comment on this issue because I don't know.

The Tru Powers that I recently bought said "Made in USA" on them.

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 02:06 PM

I know some don't want to buy an imported tire and I won't argue that point, that is personal preference and your choice. I will mention though that Gene sells Carlisle Tires also and it might be worth a shot to see what kind of a deal he can give ya. If he can't beat your local dealers price it didn't cause any harm.