• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Justin2655 OFFLINE  

Justin2655
  • Member No: 11487
  • 204 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 07:58 PM

Just brought home a cub 102 and in the process of getting things ready for it to run (it needs some work, project tractor, not in the best of shape) but when I turned it over with my hand and at the compression stroke you can whigle it back and fourth and hear one heck of a knock, how pricy is a rebuild kit for the 10 horse kohler? Or what other things should I do to it? Is there any common problems with these tractors so I will fix them now and not worry later? Thanks Justin
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,788 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 08:42 PM

It sounds like a bad rod but maybe not. First, download the Kohler Manual from our Manuals Section. Clean everything about the exterior of the engine. Follow the manual to disassemble. Have labeled containers to identify parts as you take it apart. Inspect as you go. When you have found the problem you can repair just it if the rest looks good or rebuild the engine. Complete kits are going to run you close to $100 to $200 for aftermarket. Watch them, most of the kits do not include the bearings. The manual is excellent. A properly rebuilt Kohler is beautiful. Good Luck, Rick

PS. One common problem is improperly torqued connecting rod bolts. They require a special technique as described in the manual.

Edited by boyscout862, May 16, 2013 - 08:43 PM.

• Justin2655 said thank you

#3 Justin2655 OFFLINE  

Justin2655
  • Member No: 11487
  • 204 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 06:40 PM

Where is someplace where you can get the bearings? I've heard that some of them don't have bearings if that makes any sense, yeah of course they don't cause it's worn out lol

#4 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 08:44 PM

By bearings, he means the roller or ball bearings that support the PTO end of the crank shaft, and sometimes the flywheel side depending on the build specs for that motor.  The rod journal doesnt have replaceable bearings, just alum rod on metal crank.  It might have loose rod bolts, I have seen that before in a K171 Kohler, or a worn wrist pin ect. Also pay attention to the cam shaft end play.  I have seen fully rebuilt Kohlers sound like they have one heck of a knock at higher RPM's due to the cam slapping back and fourth.  There is a book speck for it.  Any time spent on doing it right while its appart, is time well spent.   Mike

• boyscout862 and Justin2655 have said thanks