• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DougN OFFLINE  

DougN
  • Member No: 35275
  • 10 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 05:01 PM

I have a 1956 David Bradley with the model 14 Briggs engine. After buying I realized the spark plug hole threads were stripped. I had an insert put in but the guy doubted it would hold so I found another head and gasket on Ebay. Same part numbers an all that. But when I received the head I noticed the spark plug hole was larger than the 14mm of the original. Anyway does anyone know what plug I need and where I can find one?

I tried one from a local small engine repair place and the threaded end is the right diameter but the reach is too long. The intake valve hits the tip of it. The one I tried was a Champion D16. Appears to be 16mm on the threaded end.

Thanks,

Doug

#2 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 07:27 AM

Looks like a 14 could use either a Champion J8 or Auto-lite A7F, so look up the spec's of those plugs for depth, now you can get the proper plug by "hole" size.

• DougN said thank you

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,643 Thanks
  • 7,673 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 07:30 AM

Does anyone make a threaded adapter?

Edited by LilysDad, May 17, 2013 - 07:31 AM.

• DougN said thank you

#4 DougN OFFLINE  

DougN
  • 10 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 08:09 AM

Thanks John and LilysDad. I guess what it comes down to is someone had the same problem as me with striped threads and decided to drill and tap the spark plug hole to 18mm. The only problem with that is these engines need a plug with maybe 3/8 inch reach. So far I have not found an 18mm plug less than 1/2 inch reach. And those are too long.

I might check on the 18mm to 14mm adapters. Again the problem may be they are too long. Beware of parts on Ebay, they may not be what they look to be.

#5 DougN OFFLINE  

DougN
  • 10 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 07:11 PM

I got it running. All it took was the washer gasket off another spark plug. In other words I put two washer gaskets on the spark plug instead of one. That was enough to keep the valve from hitting the tip of the plug.