#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 11:49 AM

Open door inside barn to almost step on this little guy. Needless to say I was a little startled. Just let it mosey it's way on under the hay stack to go catch some mice. I estimate about 4 1/2 feet.

photobucket-29458-1368707256065_zps6b1a7

• Gtractor, boyscout862, twostep and 2 others have said thanks

#2 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 12:06 PM

Nice... our old barn housed several that shed 6' skins every year. Kind of creepy knowing they are in there and you never see them. We sure didn't have any issues with mice eating the feed though.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 12:12 PM

They have their uses.  I cannot stand many of them, but I do "Coexist" as twostep advocates.  Most of them get struck by the hoe.  I prefer cats to do my mousing.   Petting snakes give me the willies.

Sorry Ryan, I hope we are still friends.  lol

Edited by daytime dave, May 16, 2013 - 12:13 PM.

• hamman, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 Sandburr OFFLINE  

Sandburr
  • Member No: 14191
  • 35 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 12:19 PM

I've not seen that type of snake here in these parts of Illinois. We have Bull snakes here. What kind is that ?

#5 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 02:11 PM

i picked up a old wheel and tire that was sitting in my back field and threw it on my quad. sat down, and a snake was inside the tire. scared me to death

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 03:28 PM

I've not seen that type of snake here in these parts of Illinois. We have Bull snakes here. What kind is that ?

Black rat.

I think it's the same one I almost grabbed last year at this time, it was hanging over a door waiting for birds to fly in. I missed it's head by about 4-5" when i grabbed to close door, that one scared me a little. That one was about 3 1/2 foot so I think it's same snake. I know now to watch a little closer getting up in dark hay loft to pull out bales. I would rather have snakes anyday over a cat. Hardly ever know they are around, do a good job on the mice, and don't stink the barn up with peeing on everything. I leave them alone, they leave me alone. If they keep the mice away, they can even have a few eggs now and then...hens don't like it, but better than a cat trying to kill my chickens. 

If they didn't cost so much to feed, we would actually have 1 or 2 as pets, my son is a reptile freak.

Largest we've ever saw was an 8 footer. He was lying in the black berry bushes and my mom almost grabbed his head picking berries.

• boyscout862, LilysDad, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 03:33 PM

Boy, I know you lose perspective in a photo but he sure looks longer than four and a half feet.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 06:42 PM

Needless to say I was a little startled.

I don't mind snakes too much, but that sentence is code for

I shrieked like a little girl and it took them an hour to get my fingernails pried out of the beam over my head where I was hanging...

• oldedeeres and TAHOE have said thanks

#9 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,741 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 11:46 PM

I had to stop a neighbor from killing a black snake a while back. Copperheads die instantly but not blacks. They are far too useful to keep around.

Our cats have never offered to harm the chickens. As a matter of fact one of them sleeps in the coop with them.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, May 16, 2013 - 11:54 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#10 Sandburr OFFLINE  

Sandburr
  • Member No: 14191
  • 35 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 07:51 AM

I found two bull snakes in our barn last spring mousing as well I'm sure. I'd gladly import some snakes right now just to deal with all the pocket gophers and moles I have this spring in our yard.  And I'd gladly feed all our damm cats to the coyotes !

• oldedeeres and TAHOE have said thanks

#11 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 09:12 AM

Now that is hilarious,  "shrieked like a little girl"!! I love snakes, of all kinds, always have. No idea why, but they have a "cute" factor for me that most people reserve for kittens and puppies. Spiders, on the other hand, are a whole different ball of wax !!  lol  Olde deere #2

#12 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 09:14 AM

MH81, sorry, I don't shreik like a little girl, I like snakes to a point. I agree with War wagon though, poisonous, they are done for, but my black snakes can hang around. When I first opened door, it's head was facing the other way through a slat in the goat stall, I was going to grab it's tail and pull it out to try to measure it. As soon as it heard or felt my vibration, it's slowly turned around and came investigating, I guess when you're that big of a snake, you have no fear.

Some stray cat came into the barn few weeks ago, I could tell it was there.....not much worse than smell of make cat pee!!! I think I can take skunk almost better than that. I can barely tolerate our house cat, sure don't want any barn cats.

Oh and I rarely kill spiders unless in the house...they help with the insects!!!

Edited by TAHOE, May 17, 2013 - 09:15 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 11:08 AM

MH81, sorry, I don't shreik like a little girl...

Oh, No... I didn't mean to say YOU shreiked... I'm saying that if I used that sentence, it would be code that I had...

Sorry.

• TAHOE said thank you