Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Yet Another (Potentially Stupid) Question...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 07:26 PM

I would like to remove the engine tins on my Ford 120 (K301), to clean and also to replace the fuel line that runs through/under one of them. There's 4 bolts I can see that don't have to be removed to get the tins off, I'm assuming they're head bolts but my question is this: Are any of the other bolts head bolts? If I do remove them is there a risk of developing a head gasket leak? Last thing I want to do is warp the head or something stupid like that...

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1368663735674.jpg

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#2 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 07:49 PM

I don't know, but if you download either the Ford 120 service manual or the Kohler service manual, it gives the head bolt tightening pattern, which will show you the location of each bolt.  It will also give torque specs.  Look in the manuals section of this site.

• larryd said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 08:06 PM

I hate removing head bolts just to get the tins off.

• larryd said thank you

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 08:19 PM

Think sometimes only a few headbolts need to come off and the tin top has BIGGER holes over the heads of others. Might be on opposite sides of engine head.  Look for little 1/4" bolts on the tins also that might be on sides of head. If you need to remove all might be good time to remove the head, get new gasket and clean all the carbon off valves and under head sides. Look into cylinder and see how it looks just for heck of it!  Torque isn't very high, seems only 35lbs or so, done two times, first at lower rate like 20lbs and third just to check them all once more.

• larryd said thank you

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 08:21 PM

All the bolts in the picture are head bolts (except the small coil bolt). I don't know why they designed the heat shield for the exhaust the way they did. If it were me I would remove the head since your taking all the tins off. Then I would resurface the head, clean out the combustion chamber and then install a new head gasket. Everyone Kohler I have had signs that the head gasket was leaking above the exhaust port. I'm working on a 10hp Tecumseh right now and it too was leaking there.

Plus this is the best time for you to do it. Nothing is worse than putting all that back on, and a rebuilt carb then finding your lacking power from a blown head gasket!

• sacsr and larryd have said thanks

#6 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 08:59 PM

Think sometimes only a few headbolts need to come off and the tin top has BIGGER holes over the heads of others. Might be on opposite sides of engine head. Look for little 1/4" bolts on the tins also that might be on sides of head. If you need to remove all might be good time to remove the head, get new gasket and clean all the carbon off valves and under head sides. Look into cylinder and see how it looks just for heck of it! Torque isn't very high, seems only 35lbs or so, done two times, first at lower rate like 20lbs and third just to check them all once more.

4 of the bolts in the picture, 3 to the lower left of the spark plug and 1 to the top right should be able to stay (based on the holes in the tin as you described) so I wasn't sure about the rest. Maybe I should just pull the head either way but I know it runs pretty damn well right now so I was hoping to not have to mess with too much... :wacko:

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,634 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 06:52 AM

Torque isn't very high, seems only 35lbs or so, done two times, first at lower rate like 20lbs and third just to check them all once more.

Plus once more after you run it for a little while.

• KennyP said thank you