12 replies to this topic

#1 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 06:16 PM

I was just given this (for free) by a friend of mine because he doesn't wanna mess with it. I'm told it was run out of oil. I haven't torn into it yet but I DO know that the engine doesn't turn over, at all. He said he broke it free and turned it over, accompanied by a bad clanking sound so I'm just assuming it's toast. I have a few options, fix (engine swap or rebuild) and sell (I don't want it) or just save what I want for parts and scrap the rest. I do know a couple of people who would buy it from me if I get it fixed cheap enough or I can always use parts for things, seat, battery, flotation tires for the yard trailer after some mods, spare transaxle for when I finally blow up the one in my older craftsman, etc. What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1368659430920.jpg

• boyscout862, oldedeeres, larryd and 1 other said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 06:22 PM

Actually I would check to see how bad it is. Could be as simple as buying a shortblock and getting it running and keeping it as a spare. Or possibly rebuilding the motor in it if it is not cracked or have a hole in it. Looks good. Good luck.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner, oldedeeres and larryd have said thanks

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,655 Thanks
  • 7,679 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 06:45 PM

My own experience is, as soon as I get rid of it an engine will come along.

• Alc, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#4 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 07:05 PM

Maybe someone will offer up an engine for me to use/cannibalize  :dancingbanana:

• larryd said thank you

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 07:49 PM

FWIW, my motto is "Always have a spare."  As an example, I just sold my Husqvarna LT125 because I also have a Poulan and a Yardman.  This weekend I had enough non-rain time to mow the lawn so I dug out the Yardman.  First turn of the key, it locked up solid.  Turned out the starter gear broke & was getting jammed into the ring gear.  No problem I have a spare starter, except it is on the Husqvarna.  Fortunately, the Poulan started fine.  Always have a spare.  Having money from the sale of spare parts doesn't help on Sunday of a long weekend.

• boyscout862, twostep, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#6 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 07:53 PM

You can put an add on Craigslist.  Someone might buy it for the transaxle, then the rest can clutter up their yard instead of yours.  Beside my garage is starting to look like Sanford and Sons with all the junk I saved for the 'good' parts.

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 08:25 PM

Looks nice enough to Me to fix it. What engine, just a single?  Going to big shows can help you find one that fits would think. OR, just get manual for engine and teardown and look over the parts and see what it might need. Buy a kit and have bored and valve job if needed and reassemble. Parting don't work on a less popular brand. You'll sell a few major parts, have the rest around long time, and then YOU won't be able to fix if wanted cause all the major stuff is gone and hard to find again.

• larryd said thank you

#8 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 08:55 PM

It's just a newer 16 HP Briggs single, haven't bothered to get numbers off of it or anything yet, the 13 HP on my other, older craftsman looks identical aside from some plastic shrouds. Guess I'll see what's actually broken and go from there. Maybe it won't need all that much...then again if it was run out of oil who knows...

#9 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 09:35 PM

never look a gift horse in the mouth.. About the time you get rid of it, you'll need or want or be able to sell it.

#10 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 01:54 AM

I'm with Grumpy on this one. It's a sweet looking little machine, isn't eating anything but space while you check it out and then possibly wait for the parts it needs to show up. You know they will, sooner or later  lol.

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 06:02 AM

I hear of quite a few newer tractors having trans axles go bad , maybe you'll find one of those with a good engine ,good luck !

#12 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 02:18 PM

put a new motor on it and sell it at the swap meet

• twostep said thank you

#13 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 12:49 PM

put a new motor on it and sell it at the swap meet

X2

I've found that the engines on these cheap little mowers usually outlast the decks and front wheel bushings... that being said, you shouldn't have a problem finding an engine for it... I've actually got a great running 13hp briggs sitting on the shelf... waiting for a mower like this to come along.

The important question; what condition is the deck/spindles in? if they are good then put a $75 engine on it and sell it for a couple hundred dollars.