• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,482 Thanks
  • 17,099 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 07:37 PM

My son was driving a MF8H when he was 7 or 8... I built a new handle on the parking brake lever so he could (in one motion) take it out of "gear" and hit the brakes.
I walked beside him & watched the first lap or two. Only time he got into trouble (after he learned Dad was nuts enough to walk in front of him so he'd better keep 1 hand on the new handle) was when he messed with the throttle & it stalled. End of riding for the day.

I think part of the reason there are so many BAD drivers out there today, is they were never taught basic machine safety at an age that they were young enough to care.

I agree

#17 dryrun OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 07:40 PM

When I was 12 yrs old, I cultivated watermelon rows with an Allis Chalmers G [Melon Bug]. I was so short in the britches that I had to stand up, step on the seat, and reach up to grab the cultivator lift handle just before making my turn at the end of the row. I can just imagine a [Child Advocate ] getting hold of something like this today. I agree that some rules, and laws needed to be enacted, but I think it has gone to extremes simply because there is money to be made. A whole new industry has sprung up to to make sure that the child is protected, and that you as parents pay for it with counseling fees, Head doctors, legal fees and fines. If you follow the money trail, you will see the people that make a good living off this.

By this, I do not wish to impune the motivation of good minded people, because the child must be protected. It is as was stated before, lack of common sense, and poor judgement. The lawmakers decided a long time ago that they needed to pass laws against stupidity, and it does notwork. If we as parents start raising our children instead of letting someone else do it, we will be a lot better off.

Just my opinion, GEORGE