• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 - 07:50 PM

Boy have things changed over the years. I was just looking at this old Ride-a-matic Ad and thought to myself, Wow you will never see a kid being pictured on a tractor advertisement. Especially with all the new safety Laws:poke:
Ride a matic brochure cover page.jpg

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 - 07:56 PM

So true.If a ad was run now with a kid and all those open blades they would linch the maker.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 - 08:07 PM

It is a shame that our society is so lawsuit happy.

There are a couple of the old ads on the office wall here at the house and there is one with the guy smoking a pipe riding around on his tractor. You don't even see smoking advertisements anymore. Maybe in magazines but I am not sure.

I love how it used to be called lawn motoring :D

#4 jhn9840 OFFLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 126 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 - 08:13 PM

I don't think we will ever be able to return to those days. How unfortunate. I'm a child of the 70's and glad of it. Would not want to be a kid growing up today

jhn9840
John

#5 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 12:25 AM

It is a shame that our society is so lawsuit happy.

There are a couple of the old ads on the office wall here at the house and there is one with the guy smoking a pipe riding around on his tractor. You don't even see smoking advertisements anymore. Maybe in magazines but I am not sure.

I love how it used to be called lawn motoring :D

About the smoking part...remember the old tom and jerry or bugs bunny cartoons, they ain't allowed to show the ones that have smoking in them any more. There was even an attempt some years ago to make cookie monster not eat cookies any more. :bash:
My dad would take me to work with him at the coal mine sometimes when he had to work the whole weekend to get something fixed when I was quite young, and I learned a lot of stuff and developed a love for learning how stuff works and getting my hands dirty to keep it working!:rocker2: Just imagine the media frensy and tax money spent in court if somebody were to do that today. When I was in school the first thing the shop class did was make new paddles for the teachers, and believe me they used them:spanka: Nowadays teachers have to call the cops, and high school graduates can't even do simple math that my great-grandmother could do with a 6th grade education in her head with out a calculator.
I'll stop ranting and babbleing now, guess I needed to vent:ass:
Although my opinion on the lawsuit crazy trend is, they havn't figured out that no matter how much you try to sugar coat something, the center is still gonna be sour.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 04:45 AM

You ever notice when they show a Bugs Bunny cartoon now,they edit out the odd "funny violent" scenes.But these new cartoons of today are 99% more violent and they'rer not edited,why is that?

Edited by mjodrey, October 29, 2010 - 06:15 AM.

#7 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• Member No: 261
  • 43 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 05:56 AM

We can never be too careful around our children. I will spare you the details of the many cases I am familiar with regarding injuries to children. Let me just say that children cannot be relied upon to make good decisions around dangerous equipment. For that matter many adults don't make good decisions around dangerous equipment.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 07:55 AM

We can never be too careful around our children. I will spare you the details of the many cases I am familiar with regarding injuries to children. Let me just say that children cannot be relied upon to make good decisions around dangerous equipment. For that matter many adults don't make good decisions around dangerous equipment.

I can certainly agree with you on the points you make. However, I think that the root of the problem lies in the fact that parents these days, by and large, DO NOT RAISE their children. There are hundreds of reasons (read excuses) for this, but the basic result is that people do not impart the wisdom and common sense of previous generations to the next. Just my$.02!

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 03:50 PM

Yes, those days are gone. Too bad.

I was called old school today. Turns out I was damn proud of it too!

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 08:12 PM

:ditto: I'm not stupid, and I slip now & then.

#11 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 07:32 AM

Found another old pic.. Its amazing all the new stuff you uncover when you are doing in depth research for Bolens...

ride a matic.jpg

#12 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 01:09 PM

Ive been riding a tractor since I was a baby, I always rode with my dad mowing grass at home and at our property in franklinville, ny. I think I was 4 or 5 yrs old when my dad let me start cutting grass. I couldnt even reach the brake pedal!! LOL. I would shut it off if I wanted to stop. Tractors have come along way with saftey since those days. I cant even run over a bump without my cub cadet saftey switch trying to shut down the tractor. Can't mow in reverse either without hitting a switch. Saftey's good, but I still liked the good old days better!!!

#13 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 06:18 PM

Ive been riding a tractor since I was a baby, I always rode with my dad mowing grass at home and at our property in franklinville, ny. I think I was 4 or 5 yrs old when my dad let me start cutting grass. I couldnt even reach the brake pedal!! LOL. I would shut it off if I wanted to stop. Tractors have come along way with saftey since those days. I cant even run over a bump without my cub cadet saftey switch trying to shut down the tractor. Can't mow in reverse either without hitting a switch. Saftey's good, but I still liked the good old days better!!!

:ditto:

I think I began riding the Bolens around the age 4-5
I think I remember that my Grandfather made an extension on the petal so I could reach it LOL

#14 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 06:18 PM

:ditto:

I think I began riding the Bolens around the age 4-5
I think I remember that my Grandfather made an extension on the petal so I could reach it LOL

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 07:03 PM

My son was driving a MF8H when he was 7 or 8... I built a new handle on the parking brake lever so he could (in one motion) take it out of "gear" and hit the brakes.
I walked beside him & watched the first lap or two. Only time he got into trouble (after he learned Dad was nuts enough to walk in front of him so he'd better keep 1 hand on the new handle) was when he messed with the throttle & it stalled. End of riding for the day.

I think part of the reason there are so many BAD drivers out there today, is they were never taught basic machine safety at an age that they were young enough to care.