• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 - 05:26 AM

I got a 620 blower for my MF10 this year.....never had a blower on a tractor before.

Question....How well do these work?....I have a truck with a blade as a backup, but am interested in how this is going to do.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• Member No: 261
  • 43 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 - 06:15 AM

I have never used a Massey snowblower, but it certainly looks very similar to the Case-Ingy units that I am quite familiar with. On other forums there is frequent discussion about how well they operate. Naturally there are those that say they barely get them to blow more than 10 feet, and guys that say that they can blow snow over their house. The most important aspect of performance is the the positioning of the auger to the housing. The closer the auger to the housing the better the performance. I am not sure how that is accomplished on your unit but I am sure a Massey guy will show up soon.

There have been many modifications suggested and performed but the one that seems to be best is attaching a bit of rubber to the flat section in the middle of the auger. I have not done this to mine as I have been able to adjust mine to get about 15 foot of throw which is fine with me.

You are going to have some fun with that blower. I HATE winter and everything associated with it. The one exception is blowing snow with my tractors.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 - 06:19 AM

It looks like it should be quite capable.

#4 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 - 06:22 AM

There have been many modifications suggested and performed but the one that seems to be best is attaching a bit of rubber to the flat section in the middle of the auger. I have not done this to mine as I have been able to adjust mine to get about 15 foot of throw which is fine with me.

You are going to have some fun with that blower. I HATE winter and everything associated with it. The one exception is blowing snow with my tractors.

Sounds interesting.....Will have to have a look and see how close that flat piece is to the housing.......I have some 1/2" rubber belting I could bolt in there to try that...thanks

#5 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 - 06:52 AM

There is a learning curve to every new piece of equipment that you begin to operate. With the Case blowers, they work well if you move the tractor fast enough to keep the entire housing stuffed with snow constantly. What concerns me about the design of your unit is the size of the discharge chute. It is small in comparison to the chutes on the Case snowcasters so I am wondering whether clogging is a problem or not, with certain types of snow? As you well know, here in southern Ontario, we get the whole range of snow, right from dry powder to stuff that is close to slush.

I prefer a blower to a blade on the basis that you handle the snow in front of you ONCE. With a blade, you are handling it again and again and again as you try to push it from the middle of the driveway, over to the edge and then off to the side. And if you don't push it far enough off to the side and you get more snow than anticipated as the season wears on, then that first snowbank becomes a problem that only a FEL can solve on a mild day.

#6 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 - 07:03 AM

I prefer a blower to a blade on the basis that you handle the snow in front of you ONCE. With a blade, you are handling it again and again and again as you try to push it from the middle of the driveway, over to the edge and then off to the side. And if you don't push it far enough off to the side and you get more snow than anticipated as the season wears on, then that first snowbank becomes a problem that only a FEL can solve on a mild day.

This is true. My neighbor used to laugh at me after he first moved in next door when I'd plow the first season's snow a full plow width past either side of my driveway with my 7 1/2' plow on my truck. The first two years after he moved there were some of the worst winters we had for a while. By the end of the season I had a pretty narrow driveway even after pushing it back so far from the begining! My neighbor had to bring home a big plow truck from his work to try to gain some more plowing room and he beat the snot out of it trying to get those banking back! After that first season, he plowed his driveway as wide as I did mine!

#7 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 - 08:02 AM

As has been said the most important part of these snow blowers throwing snow well is the clearance between the flat paddle part of the auger and the back sheet of the blower. I bought a John Deere blower that looked in real good condition and put it on one of my 112 John Deere tractors. The first snow fall came and I was eager to try my new blower out. I was dissapointed that it would only throw snow a couple of feet. When I checked into it the paddle clearance was nearly a 1/2 inch. I added steel plates to the paddles so that the plates just touched the back sheet of the blower. What a difference! It really threw the snow after my modification. I am sure that a piece of heavy belting on the paddles set to run close to the back sheet would have the same result. I would think another thing to check is that the belts are in good shape so you don't loose any auger rpm.

#8 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 - 08:09 AM

NUTNDUN posted some video of his blower on the massey from the big storm at the beginning of this year. He happens to be my son so I know that it did a great job. He originally did his driveway with the blade but as the snow piles got too high he could only push so far. When he switched over to the blower he had a real snow moving machine! I think you will be surprised at how much snow they can move.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 - 08:24 PM

Here is the video of my 12 blowing snow. It wasn't a great video and it wasn't long till I threw the belt off the pto. The snow blowers work really well, especially for being single stage. Just gotta keep em fed.

#10 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 - 08:59 PM

I have had clogging issues with mine. I works best with dry snow. One thing I can tell you is to keep the rpm up, as high as you can. When its working it definitely can throw some snow.

Posted Image

Posted Image