• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 08:18 PM

I got the hud center on the right side ground off. After I ground it, I went over the entire face with a flap disc and now you can't even tell there was a lip in the middle!

376B76B6-CC9D-4418-B64F-E82B333839E8-565

#47 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 10:40 PM

Looking good! You are coming right along on this project. Keep it up :thumbs:

• Ryan313 said thank you

#48 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 11:56 PM

I cut out all of the circles I need for the spacers, 8 of them. They are cut from 1/4" plate. Each side will have 4 circles, two will be welded together and will bolt to the hub, then a pipe welded onto it and two more circles on the end of the pipe that the wheels will bolt onto.

BF767061-1331-44D8-A000-BDA154616576-566

I started to drill holes, and got about a third the way done but after seeing that one hole was pretty far off I decided to call it a night before I made any more mistakes. :D

#49 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 12:48 PM

After looking at my mistake from last night, I saw that there was nothing wrong at all! I was using the plate that I was holding in the one picture next to the hub as a template for the new holes. It turns out that the template shifted a little bit; although, it shifted after I started to drill the hole so it did not matter. After I drilled that hole I lined it up again and finished.

D12EE452-28B6-4C6F-99B3-94B06FE1D9AE-569

When drilled the holes, I put all of the plates in a stack, then after each hole I put a bolt through it to keep them lines up. That made it go very fast and all of the holes in the plates are all the same, but that means if one hole is off on one plate, it will be off on the other 7 plates! I hope they bolt up correctly...

• olcowhand said thank you

#50 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 02:47 PM

They fit! They are VERY close, but it all lines up! So, I decided to weld two of them together to see how it would work. The six holes do not form a perfect hexagon, so they did not line up perfectly with each other, because of this I oriented them the best I could and ran the drill bit through the holes again. They fit. :thumbs:

80C57091-F681-426F-86EE-0D44C9BE6A86-570

I am going to have to get longer lug bolts, and I will also have to counter-sink the holes so the lug bolts will work the way they are supposed to.

#51 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 12:01 PM

GL was right, this is going to be a dump tractor! Here is a picture I made on PAINT a couple months ago.

5741BDE7-E07A-4286-A11E-BC108DFCBB87-306

The more I think about it, the easier I think it would be to make a completely new frame so suit my needs, then to modify and lengthen the original. The only thing I would be keeping if I lengthened the frame would be the engine mount plates, and steering/ front axle components. I would need some pretty good size stuff, it would end up being something more like the terimitte frames; although, not that beefy.

That looks like an interesting project,  I might even try it myself in a couple of years when I get done cannibalizing a Jim Dandy I have to fix up my 2414.

Something to consider, the engine,/ trans assembly points down in the back to line up with the differential.  When you stretch that wheelbase/lengthen the frame,  you will have to change the angle of the differential  to lower the front and change the engine to lower the rear.

I would use a couple or more long torque tubes bolted together to determine the length of the wheel base and you could probably  fabricate a piece to put between the tubes with a bearing to support the drive shaft.  I had the drive shaft of one shortened a couple of years ago at a machine shop. He just cut out a section, and aligned it straight, and  welded it together. You could just  do the same but lengthen it. 

• Ryan313 said thank you

#52 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 12:15 PM

That looks like an interesting project, I might even try it myself in a couple of years when I get done cannibalizing a Jim Dandy I have to fix up my 2414.
Something to consider, the engine,/ trans assembly points down in the back to line up with the differential. When you stretch that wheelbase/lengthen the frame, you will have to change the angle of the differential to lower the front and change the engine to lower the rear.
I would use a couple or more long torque tubes bolted together to determine the length of the wheel base and you could probably fabricate a piece to put between the tubes with a bearing to support the drive shaft. I had the drive shaft of one shortened a couple of years ago at a machine shop. He just cut out a section, and aligned it straight, and welded it together. You could just do the same but lengthen it.

Yes, I already considered the angle of the driveshaft; I was told by another member that the differential should rotate, I am going to try and turn it a little so that I won't have to have the engine as high.

As for the driveshaft, I think I am just going to cut it, and get a pipe with the same ID as the OD of the driveshaft, and weld the shaft ends into each side of the pipe.

#53 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 07:00 PM

I have not been working on getting the spacer plates welded, other things have taken priority whenever I get a chance; besides, I will not need the spacers until I start to build the bed anyway.

Many of you know from one of my recent THREADS that I went and got some channel iron to build the new, longer, and stronger frame for this. I paid $40, and got four 8 foot sections, and a 4 foot section of 3" x 1 1/2" x 3/16" channel iron. Here is a picture.

AB2A2157-27B4-4DAC-BD3E-80D6AD06020B-800

The original frame is 3' 8" to 3' 10" shorter then one of these 8 foot sections. I planned on stretching the frame roughly 3 1/2 to 4 feet. So, if I use the full 8 foot length, it will be PERFECT for this! I might start cutting pieces for the frame, but I need to line up a good stick welder before I put anything together.

• Alc said thank you

#54 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 10:15 AM

I looked at it a lot, and took a bunch of measurements; I think the bed will end up being about 48" x 30" or so. I have also decided, that I will not be making spacers for he wheels! I think that if I make the bed to much wider, it will look too square and end up looking odd. Also, since the tires will be outside of the bed, I think it will be plenty stable. The last reason, is just for maneuverability in tight areas.

#55 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 12:25 PM

I made up a quick sketch of what I will have on the back of the frame; it will have two D-rings for towing, and a 2" receiver hitch. I stacked two of the pieces of channel so draw it on, but I will actually make it out of 1/2" plate and not the channel.

49335800-C527-462B-8E03-55E5D34AEACD-859

#56 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 06:34 PM

Looking good.   :thumbs:

• Ryan313 said thank you

#57 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 06:43 PM

Neat project, just now finding this thread.  :thumbs:

• Ryan313 said thank you

#58 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 06:45 PM

Neat project, just now finding this thread.  :thumbs:

Then maybe I should point you to the thread I just started HERE so you don't miss anything else!