• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 07:22 AM

Most folks, especially the tractor pull guys take those counter gears out and leave them out. They don't balance that much and some engines never came with them.

Then maybe I will take them out? Where all of the engines comparable with them? Anybody else have something to add about removing the gears?

#32 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 18, 2013 - 07:30 AM

Ck this sight for lots of info on balance gears. I always take them out and have never had a problem. Balance gears are known to hand grenade and destroy the entire engine.

http://gardentractor...com/balance.htm

#33 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 08:51 AM

Ryan,
I've taken the balance gears out of the ones I've had apart.
I have not noticed a significant differance in vibration.

I'm not sure about your valve keeper issue. Typically they are 2 pieces
that fit in the groove in the valve stem and maintinaed in position by the retainer.
This is the part that the valve spring is pushig against.

Chuck

#34 sep OFFLINE  

sep
  • Member No: 25080
  • 60 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 08:23 PM

Ry,

Are you sure that isn't a Limo??  I have an idea which may be different that how you are planning this. PM me when you can.

Steve

#35 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 09:20 PM

I took off the clutch housing, tranny, drive shaft, and drive tube today.

0B3B0D97-4F30-470F-BFC9-B2BAE3D534DA-503

After a lot of thinking I thought I was going get three more drive shafts and couplers, which would extend it 4' 4". Although, I just looked on eBay and I would spend $200 just for the drive shafts and couplers! Plus, all those connections would likely not be that great. Maybe I will have a machine shop make one really long drive shaft for me? What ever I do, I am going to have to make a new drive shaft tube, and put a pillow bearing in the middle, neither of those things are very hard though.

I also got the engine taken apart the rest of the way! It turns out the valves did have shims after all! Here is a picture of the parts that go under the bottom of the springs.

92AC8368-F4B1-4A97-BDED-99AAB93A3E33-503

#36 Concernedneighbor OFFLINE  

Concernedneighbor

Neighbor Herby

• Member No: 36078
  • 8 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 10:32 AM

​I can say with total confidence whatever Ryan is building here will be an amazing piece of work. Though not a tractor collector myself I enjoy seeing some of the creations here. Ryan turned me on to this site and I am amazed at what I see here. Unlike most of you I get to look next door to see Ryan's projects first hand. He has told me a little bit about this one I believe but I know I will enjoy watching it evolve.

Oh and Ryan doesn't always work on PK's,,,Sometimes he maintains my Husqvarna YTH21K46

• olcowhand, Ryan313 and chris m have said thanks

#37 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 11:07 AM

Welcome to the forum, Concernedneighbor. I can see why you'd be concerned, living next door to Ryan.
  • olcowhand and Ryan313 have said thanks

#38 Ryan313 ONLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 11:33 AM

​I can say with total confidence whatever Ryan is building here will be an amazing piece of work. Though not a tractor collector myself I enjoy seeing some of the creations here. Ryan turned me on to this site and I am amazed at what I see here. Unlike most of you I get to look next door to see Ryan's projects first hand. He has told me a little bit about this one I believe but I know I will enjoy watching it evolve.
Oh and Ryan doesn't always work on PK's,,,Sometimes he maintains my Husqvarna YTH21K46

Hey Herby! I was wondering when I would see you on here! Welcome to the site.

#39 101 senior OFFLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 180 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 03:17 PM

How about a pk flat bed w/ a hoist and ramp like a tow truck.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#40 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,441 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 06:37 PM

​I can say with total confidence whatever Ryan is building here will be an amazing piece of work. Though not a tractor collector myself I enjoy seeing some of the creations here. Ryan turned me on to this site and I am amazed at what I see here. Unlike most of you I get to look next door to see Ryan's projects first hand. He has told me a little bit about this one I believe but I know I will enjoy watching it evolve.

Welcome to the forum! I'd be concerned too, no telling what your Husky may come home as!

• Ryan313 said thank you

#41 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 07:59 PM

Welcome to GTt Herby! Glad to here Ryan got you to join up!  I wish I was able to see Ryans' creations first hand! He sure likes to be creative and stay busy. Question though, Do you have any trees left in your yard? Because I also here Ryan likes Stihl chain saws too! :D :rolling:

• Ryan313 said thank you

#42 Concernedneighbor OFFLINE  

Concernedneighbor

Neighbor Herby

• Member No: 36078
  • 8 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 02:07 PM

As for the tree question,,,,,He has taken at least three of them down in my yard and I know there is a project afoot to to take some trees down in and around an old stone foundation here in the "hood" too. 

• Ryan313 and chris m have said thanks

#43 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 03:56 PM

How about a pk flat bed w/ a hoist and ramp like a tow truck.

Here is a picture of a WH that somebody made into  flatbed.

Attached Thumbnails

• img_0624-300x225.jpg

#44 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Yesterday I went to a couple machine and welding shops looking for a job; while I was at one of them I asked how much it would cost to have a drive shaft made for me, he said that they do not have a spline tool. He then told me that none of the other machine shops around will have one either since it is not worth the cost for one (they are very expensive) unless you are doing splines very often. I think I will have to lengthen the one I have.

#45 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 10:58 AM

Back when I did a lot of tractor pulling, my Dad had some custom wheels made so that we could use 12" tires on 6 lug hubs; I don't remember what they where for but we ended up with these somehow. They are supposed to go over the center part, but they are a hundredth to small.

9023E97D-93B6-4907-B0BD-68BC4B1A4016-560

I was going to use them to make some spacers so I could get a little wider stance, but I found a problem. Even if they did fit over the center, I would  not have near enough room between the lug bolt to weld a pipe in as the spacer, and still have room for the bolt and socket.

40F4F50B-DE00-4234-B7EF-81EF36898015-560

I think that instead of messing around with the center hole and tight clearances, I will just remove the lip in the center of the hub. This way, I do not have to cut out the large center hole, which will give me a lot of room for the pipe in the middle, and I will have no problem clearing the lug bolts.

• olcowhand said thank you