Garden Tractor Forums banner

Trying To Get The 1965 Deluxe Pk Going

5K views 57 replies 21 participants last post by  Ryan313 
#1 ·
In another month or two I want to start building a "special project" that requires the '65 PK to be heavily modified. Before I can worry about starting the project, I need to get the tractor running. Today I towed it into the garage... alone. I towed it with the '75 1614 PK, and had both trannys in 1st gear. Then, I was walking along side steering, and then running to the '65 to steer it, and back and forth. I got a few people to slow down and watch as they drove by! :D

05075FF2-2F97-47CE-B6F9-21A8458787D2-459

The first thing I did was remove a few things. I took off the hood, gas tank, grill, and seat.

74413BAC-06BE-4FAF-A64D-24A32DB4F642-459

I also took off the hitch. the hitch blocks that slide into the frame where rusted completely in, and where not worth the work to fight them out... so I cut them. I had the fender in the way, and I was cutting with the torch tip horizontal so it was far from ideal. That caused a horrible cut that still had a piece connected; I thought it was only a small piece holing it so I grabbed a 3 pound hammer and gave it a few good whacks. The block did not break apart, instead this happened (I ended up cutting it again to finish getting it off). The bottom of the frame was so rotted, it just ripped out the bottom!

2406D4FE-3BA9-4690-AABB-57003A3D2C3C-459

The tractor originally had a k241 in it, but was re-powered with a k321. The k241 had a starter generator, the k321 has a starter and stator. Because of the differences, the wiring was pieced together and butchered up.

0519E454-D748-46B3-B936-DA8295FD8D33-459

When I first got this I deemed it a parts tractor, so I have taken a few things off of it. Most of the stuff I took off will be replaced with new, some of the stuff I have spares that I can put on. The first order of business is to take off all of the wiring, and redo it; good thing the electrical on these is simple!

As for the what I am building out of it, I will give you a hint: it does not matter that the rear of the frame is rotted, the project will require me to rebuild the back anyway.

See less See more
#2 ·
As for the what I am building out of it, I will give you a hint: it does not matter that the rear of the frame is rotted, the project will require me to rebuild the back anyway.
Oh no, Ryan is going to make a Power King use paddle wheels and run in the lake!

Ben W.

Reactions: Ryan313
#5 ·
This should be fun to follow! Is a hydro involved?

#17 ·
I did not get much done today, basically stripped off everything else except the brakes.

F8D5A142-D948-486D-BEFB-959DFEE8523F-471

Looking at the back of the engine, I could tell the head gasket was blown; When I took off the flywheel cover, I wondered if there was a head gasket even in there! There was, but the head bolts where all pretty loose and was causing major leaks. Before I took the head off I did a compression test and only got 25 psi!

47A1FE33-F4D3-4A49-92C8-728352A11AC9-471

There is quite a bit of carbon build up inside.

2CC401AB-E4BC-4C87-ABEB-500940C0151A-471

On the head there are even little clumps of carbon!

A250EB6F-F1B2-4D67-B742-3BDA156CF579-471

I am going to rebuild the engine, I wonder if it would be easier to rebuild and paint it now, rather then do it later when I stretch the frame and build the *censored*? What do you guys think?

#18 ·
Wow! now THAT is one clogged up bunch of fins there! Darn thing probly been running hot for long time? Guess they never read a manual about removing cover and cleaning once in awhile! Bet your gonna make one of those Case truck like units with small bed in back and tractor for front?

I saw today at show an S-10 frame with cowl and dash still on it and had a Cockshutt hood and grill out front over the engine. Painted up pretty red and looked neat with flags and stuff for a parade I suppose. Oh, yeah! get pictures..........get pix.......

#19 ·
I decided that I am going to rebuild the engine now, and not later, so I took it out.

82D99653-FF03-4037-9DC6-6EB43335FE42-482

I have never taken a PK engine out, but have read many posts from people who have and it seems like getting the flywheel off the crankshaft can be a real PITA. It seems like one thing that works every time I have read about it is to use spreader jaws on a port-a-power; luckily, I have one! I put it on there with a good deal of pressure and started tapping the flywheel on the side with a hammer... POP! Off it came! A few more pumps to get it the rest of the way off and it landed on the bench.

BA8DF4E9-5751-4CE8-8B23-835A69F9F0B8-482

Yesterday I tried to get the flywheel off the engine, but it would not come off. So, I left the puller on overnight with tension and sprayed it with penetrating oil. Tried again today, and still would not come off! I will have to put the airgun on the puller to get it off!

The next step is to dissemble the engine, and take everything to the car wash so I can get all of the grease and oil off. Hopefully I get that done this weekend.

#20 ·
Road grader?

#21 ·
GL was right, this is going to be a dump tractor! Here is a picture I made on PAINT a couple months ago.

5741BDE7-E07A-4286-A11E-BC108DFCBB87-306

The more I think about it, the easier I think it would be to make a completely new frame so suit my needs, then to modify and lengthen the original. The only thing I would be keeping if I lengthened the frame would be the engine mount plates, and steering/ front axle components. I would need some pretty good size stuff, it would end up being something more like the terimitte frames; although, not that beefy.

Attachments

#25 ·
This morning I put the air gun on the puller as tight as it would go, but did not come off! One tiny tap with a hammer and it jumped all the way off!

I also had a chance to take the frame and engine to the car wash; I missed some spots, but it is 100 times better then it was, now I don't have to worry about 1 inch thick build up of grease and oil!

I started to take apart the engine, but stopped when I saw there where more gears inside then I thought there where. The right is the camshaft, middle is crankshaft, and left is unknown, then there is another right below (the way it is oriented in the picture) it, what are they for? it does not look like they drive anything.

97D90A6B-395B-496D-9265-183855D01A19-494

The valve keepers are also puzzling me, I don't know how to remove them! They are not the figure 8 ones, and they do not have shims. It looks like there is a small clip above it but I cant see it and don't want to damage it if that is not how to remove them. Any advice?

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Those other gears are counter balance gears. None of my K's have them. The valve keepers should be the same as mine? If so just compress the spring and remove the two keepers with a small screw driver or a small screw driver like magnet. When I put them back I put a small dab of grease on them to help hold them in place. Let me know if my pics look like your valves.

Wood Amber Font Gas Tints and shades

Cloud Wood Religious item Tints and shades Font

Wood Coil spring Yellow Office supplies Tints and shades

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.