6 replies to this topic

#1 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 33704
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hey guys! So, I got my Bolens walk behinds and well, I got one of them to run! But, it leaks gas and oil, but I was running alright until we put a belt on it and tried to make it move. It tugged along pretty well, but it kept stalling every few seconds it would run. So, me and my dad pulled the carb apart and cleaned it and adjusted it correctly. But, it still won't stay running, unless you take the air cleaner off and put your hand over the carb with the choke on. But, even then it only runs for like a minute. Any ideas whats wrong? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! Ian.  

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 07:57 PM

Two things occur to me.  Holding your hand over the intake with the choke on messed with the fuel/air mixture, and increases the vacuum in the gas bowl.  That suggests you are getting to much air from a leaking carb, which fits with the "it leaks gas", or that you have a blockage in the fuel supply system, either a plugged fuel filter, a blocked line, a plugged main jet or a sticking inlet needle.

Just my $.02 worth, keeping in mine the penny is no longer legal currency in Canada.

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and IlovemyCub have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 08:26 PM

Leaving carburetors for a second, pull the spark plug and look inside the cylinder after it shuts off.  It takes fine talent not to burn yourself, so be forewarned.

If it has oil in it, your rings are dead.  The other symptom for that is hard starting.  How hard is yours to start, Ian?

I had a Briggs N with nearly the exact same symptoms.  In my case, choking it would help it run a little longer until the oil saturated the cylinder and "flooded" the power.  I nearly pulled my hair out until I discovered that the rings were toast.  One set of rings later, without touching the carb, it ran like a song and dragged itself around the yard with power to spare.

Second option is a bad condenser.  Leaky condensers can make an engine run simply awful.  Pitted points can do the same thing.  A bad spark plug also can do the same thing.

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000 and IlovemyCub have said thanks

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,725 Thanks
  • 4,285 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 10:30 PM

If you have to choke it that hard, you are not getting enough gas. If you choke it hard until it quits, is the plug wet? Pull the gas line off at the carb and see if it flows free. if it does, then either the float or needle valve isn't set or working right or something is plugging up in the carb.. If you turn the carb upside down the float should be about parallel with the surface of the carb. You shouldn't be able to blow into it. Flip the carb over and you should be able to blow through it free. The other option would be that it doesn't seal where the carb goes to the engine and its sucking too much air.

#5 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Hey guys! I found out why; the thing where the fuel line hooks up to was clogged! So, me and my dad cleaned her out, threw her together, and she ran! But, I appreciate the help! Thanks alot!! Ian.  :thumbs:

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 08:21 PM

Hey guys! I found out why; the thing where the fuel line hooks up to was clogged! So, me and my dad cleaned her out, threw her together, and she ran! But, I appreciate the help! Thanks alot!! Ian.  :thumbs:

Glad to hear it was a simple fix.

If you what kinds of attachments do you have for them?

#7 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 05:41 AM

Glad to hear it was a simple fix.

If you what kinds of attachments do you have for them?

I have a disk for the Versa Matic and a cultivator for the Power Hoe Deluxe. Ian 

• Bolens 1000 said thank you