• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• Member No: 4993
  • 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Earlier today I posted a want ad for a under flywheel coil/bracket for a k181. After I went back out to the shop to tinker some more I think I may have found a solution....

I have a k141 with magneto start, it uses the magnet that rides on the crankshaft rather than the magnets in the flywheel. I measured the bearing plate and everything appears to be a direct bolt up to the k181.
image.jpg

The shroud fits, the bearing recess is the same measurements, the crank shaft measures the same....etc.

Where my question lies is... Can I use the smaller flywheel from the k141 on the k181?
image.jpg image.jpg

The taper is the same and I know it will fit....but it is about 1/4" smaller OD, slightly thinner, fewer fins...and it has the timing marks in the correct place for this bearing plate and magneto placement. ( I can't seem to think of a way to accurately transfer the marks to the larger fly wheel, and have always had better luck in the past setting the points off the timing mark rather than just setting the gap)

What kind of effect will the less weight have on the engine? ( I don't have a scale, but would estimate the difference in weight by a couple pounds)

Extra vibration? Possible surging?

This is going in my daughters t70 panzer, mostly just for driving around, showing, maybe pulling a sweeper, or plowing a little snow. Not a serious work horse, just good running and reliable.

Edited by Clippnalawn, May 14, 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 06:02 PM

By no means, am I an engine expert, but considering the light duty

you have planned for it, I'd say go for it.

In the worst case scenario, your daughter will be out, at a show, hanging out with

her friends, and it'll blow up. The hood, and surrounding tin should shield anyone

from serious harm. After that, you'll be busy taking the girls out for Ice cream.

:smilewink:

• Clippnalawn said thank you

#3 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 08:09 PM

You know that GT pullers use aftermarket flywheels. You ought to be able to fabricate something as long as it is properly balanced. The balance is the concern.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 08:12 PM

If anything would be a problem, I would think it wouldn't be as stable at low speeds.  As long as all the fins are there and the critter is balanced, you should be in good shape.

Ben W.

#5 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 08:46 PM

I agree that I don't see any issue. It even looks like the smaller one would move more air across the engines fins?

So... if I ran into this situation, I would do the swap. But that is just my opinion it doesn't mean it is the right choice. Just that I don't see any draw backs to this mod. If you decide to go for it. Good luck and let us know how it goes :thumbs:

#6 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• Member No: 4993
  • 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 09:27 PM

Thanks For All The Quick Responses! I Think I Am Going To Do It. All The Machine Work Is Done On The Engine, I Just Need To Order The Piston, Rod, Valves, Gaskets, Etc. I Will Let You Know How It Turns Out After I Get It All Back Together. Thanks!
  • chris m said thank you