• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Short_Circuit OFFLINE  

Short_Circuit
  • Member No: 35188
  • 72 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 05:34 PM

I almost have my engine swap done and I will be posting pics soon on the kohler swap. I am now standing back looking at all of the hacked up sheetmetal on the side panels and the hood. This little tractor is really starting to grow on me.  I was just wondering how hard is it to locate replacement panels.

I also would like to know if MF 8 panels will swap out. I am determined to make it look as original as  I can. I am looking to find a  new techumseh engine eventually. I'm just dying to get it running and mowing,

One last question, how do these little tractors do mowing? Do they do a good job. I had a great looking,running and mowing 67 Wizard until it got sent to tractor heaven with unrepairable damage. It worked great since I have a lot of tight turns and narrow spots. The 7 speeds really came in handy. 

Thanks for the advice/thoughts in advance. Keith

Edited by Short_Circuit, May 14, 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 05:46 PM

They do look great, when they are all dolled up.

Which parts are you looking for?

I have some here.

And, yes, they do cut great when dialed in. Nice tight turning radius.

Looking forward to seeing the joy on your face when you've got it going.

:dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:  

• Short_Circuit said thank you

#3 Short_Circuit OFFLINE  

Short_Circuit
  • 72 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 06:24 PM

They do look great, when they are all dolled up.

Which parts are you looking for?

I have some here.

And, yes, they do cut great when dialed in. Nice tight turning radius.

Looking forward to seeing the joy on your face when you've got it going.

:dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:  

I think I need the "side panels" and the area under the dash. I would probably eventually if I found a solid one. Here are some pics. That would be great if you have any of these items. I found some on ebay for a 8 hydro  but I didnt know if they would fit. My thoughts were to use them and fill in any holes but I think these are stainless and I am not set up to work with it. I did go by and pic up some paint at Tractor Supply today!  :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013-05-14 18.54.51.jpg
  • 2013-05-14 18.57.09.jpg
  • 2013-05-14 18.56.42.jpg

#4 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 07:18 PM

If Will can't help you out with what you need I have a couple parts tractors.I can check my inventory.

#5 Short_Circuit OFFLINE  

Short_Circuit
  • 72 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 07:22 PM

If Will can't help you out with what you need I have a couple parts tractors.I can check my inventory.

Thanks, No hurry as of now. Just looking ahead and you guys are awesome.

#6 collinmf12 OFFLINE  

collinmf12
  • Member No: 10011
  • 114 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 07:23 PM

Thoes little tractors do great mower but right know i have no sheet metal with the 7 and 8. The parts are universal

#7 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 08:59 PM

I think you'll be all set with parts, it sounds like a couple members will be able to help you out.

On the Stainless question. There shouldn't be anything on there that is Stainless? You might just be thinking that because of the color paint Massey used (Silver Mist)

That Kohler looks good under there! :thumbs:

#8 Short_Circuit OFFLINE  

Short_Circuit
  • 72 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 06:36 AM

I think you'll be all set with parts, it sounds like a couple members will be able to help you out.

On the Stainless question. There shouldn't be anything on there that is Stainless? You might just be thinking that because of the color paint Massey used (Silver Mist)

That Kohler looks good under there! :thumbs:

Thanks Chris. I cant believe the responses to help out! I thought  this would be a good place to unite and the newbie welcome topic I posted members  told me the same. My  6 year old says he loves to work on and will be ready to ride on "number 7" as he has named it.

The Kohler is coming together nicely. I have to make a bracket for the starter/generator and find a tank to match up. I plan on trying to make it look like it belongs in there.  :D

I might not be able to help out everyone but when I am done, I have some items that I will be cleaning out from my dad's farm that he had collected over the years.

• chris m said thank you

#9 crashalot OFFLINE  

crashalot
  • Member No: 8624
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 11:12 PM

I have three mf 7 and parts but I'm up in Canada msg me if you want me to look into shipping ?

#10 Short_Circuit OFFLINE  

Short_Circuit
  • 72 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 11:58 PM

Well, I have made a lot of progress on my kohler swap but I will get into it with pics on another post. I need to find a short gas tank and make a battery tray then just finish the little things then back apart for paint!   :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:  I got anxious and ordered a set of side panels but I am unable to find the section where the id tag is and also the grill. I would like to change the hood but I can rework it if I need to.  If anyone has one of either please let me know. I am posting a pic of the damaged areas. :mad2:  Thanks, Keith

Attached Thumbnails

• damage areas.jpg

Edited by Short_Circuit, May 23, 2013 - 12:01 AM.

#11 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 08:03 AM

Great to see you got an engine in the old girl!  I truly enjoy my Massey 8, though it is a bit small for me.  It cuts great when you have good blades, really does a good job.  The turning radius is very tight, the only thing I would improve on mine is to get a hydro!  Here is some video from a few days ago:

and a picture:

GE 007.JPG

Edited by HowardsMF155, May 23, 2013 - 08:07 AM.

#12 Short_Circuit OFFLINE  

Short_Circuit
  • 72 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 09:02 PM

Great to see you got an engine in the old girl!  I truly enjoy my Massey 8, though it is a bit small for me.  It cuts great when you have good blades, really does a good job.  The turning radius is very tight, the only thing I would improve on mine is to get a hydro!  Here is some video from a few days ago:

and a picture:

attachicon.gifGE 007.JPG

That is really impressive how it really is throwing out the grass! I have been working hard on getting my 7 running. It is looking pretty stock and that is what I am shooting for. I am desperately trying to find a gas tank and making a battery tray and throttle linkage and I should be about ready to cut and throw some grass. Thanks for the video. I am immpressed with the little tractor! You have made me even more excited!! It looks to be about the right speed for me too. Though a hydro would be nice but trying to find these down south seems to be like finding hens teeth. What gear are you in? Thanks, Keith

:dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:

#13 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 09:35 PM

The eights have a central pulley that allows you to set it up for either slow speed or high speed.  I've got it set up for low speed and it was in top gear, I think around 4 mph.  

Slow speeds: 1st=1.25mph   2nd=2.25mph  3rd=3.5mph

High speeds:                        1st=2.25mph, 2nd=4mph,       3rd=6mph

This is from the manual.  I could probably use the higher pulley speed, but it works great the way it is.  1st really lets me crawl along the fences and other areas where I want to get close and not worry about moving too fast and breaking something.  2nd works well for general cutting, and 3rd works for more open spaces.

#14 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 10:23 PM

There are 3 7-8 parts tractors down the road from me a half mile. if you can't find what you need give me a shout.

#15 Short_Circuit OFFLINE  

Short_Circuit
  • 72 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 11:18 AM

MF DIESEL, I sent you a message about parts that I need. Thanks, Keith