• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 twostep OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,849 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 08:08 AM

I think most of us have to many hobbies and not enough time.

I ended up with a 92' with a v-twin 18 hp on it with deck, plow, snowblower, and all manuals for $200. Needed a battery...I didn't think motorcycle batteries were that much!

I wanted to stay away from a hydro, but gears were turning in my head for a future spot in the garage...you know, something for hard labor,lol. I'll find a deckless beast pretty cheap roaming the yard sales this year.

That sounds like it fits the bill and can't beat that price.

When I first got into GT's I thought the same thing about staying away from hydro's for hard work but if you take a look at the larger hydro GT's (JD's, Cub's, Bolens, Allis/Simplicity) and you'll see they can push/pull/dig just as hard as geared units... plus they are more user friendly.

#17 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 09:06 AM

Welcome to the forum! That MW sounds like a nice unit for your needs. Just one thing to realize, they tend to multiply.

:welcometogttalk: You have to keep them seperated in the garage.

#18 dropped82 OFFLINE  

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,329 Thanks
  • 1,186 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 05:43 AM

Welcome to Gttalk! The hydros are just as capable as the gears. Plus with most hydros you get something to do the lifting for you! I'm sure that MW will please you at least until you find another and another. I just tell the wife I don't want to change attachments anymore. That's why I have so many. Pics are gold around here. We would love to see your new addition when you get it to your new home. Congrats!

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

#19 sodisr OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9153
  • 648 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:35 AM

As far as the name, I wear a replica indiana jones fedora alot, espically on the boat, couple that with smoking a pipe, people tell me I'm too old to be 31,lol.

The bad part in all this is I'm inbetween houses at the moment, so the tractor is now sitting in storage until we close on the new place...I hate getting new toys and not being able to play with them,lol.

Trying to figure out who made it at the moment, it's a TMO-3395309, and kind of feeling around on the net about the 18 hp v-twin(my first), and what I want to do with it first, I think a good decarbing will suffice until winter, then I have to rebuild carbs, reed plates, and assess the head on my older outboard before I can get too serious with the tractor, but thats also when time at the rifle range becomes a daily thing...too many hobbies and not enough time. 

I think I'm going to like it here, pretty laid back crowd, and I haven't seen a negative post/thread yet.

Give it a good workout and get the feel for it before spending a bunch of money..fresh gas,,oil maybe check the carb-bowls.. get it running good first..the addiction will follow :thumbs:   ps.. welcome to the best forum in town !!