18 replies to this topic

#1 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • Member No: 35630
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 11:57 PM

Hello all,

Obviously new here, lol, but I've been lurking for a while, and I'm finally able to get back into these neat little machines, and had a few questions.

Finally buying a house with a large enough lawn to require my lazy butt to get a garden tractor(about an acre of mowable yard), and a decent sized driveway to get away from the walk behind snowblower.

Along with those duties, I think it would be handy for pulling my boat(17' aluminum bass boat) in and out of the garage(flat land), and other menial tasks as pulling a wagon of dirt here and there, so I have a few setup questions.

Should I be looking at something older that has solid gears vs. the hydro?

Any particular brands(older and newer) to stay away from?

Any thoughts at all?

Going to look at a mid 70's montgomery wards tomorrow, don't have a model # off hand, but it has a 50" deck, snowblower attachment, and a plow. From the pics, looks like very little rust, and a well maintained machine. I believe he said it had a 16 hp, but I may be wrong on that. I have no problems doing any mechanical work on them(mechanic of old equipment by trade).

Used to have a sears and robuck GT with the hi/lo range, 15" wheels with loaded tires and v-bar chains, and belive it or not, a 4 hp with no muffler. That beast pulled logs out of the woods and drug my broke 78' F-150 all over the place...sadly it went to the scrapyard when I went in the Army.

Thanks for reading my ramblings...

• OldBuzzard, Alc, HDWildBill and 4 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 29,555 Thanks
  • 40,533 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 04:20 AM

Welcome to the forum! That MW sounds like a nice unit for your needs. Just one thing to realize, they tend to multiply.

• twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 4,038 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 04:22 AM

:welcometogttalk:  my opinion is, that the older GT are more interesting for us guys, and

ildeere.gif

Edited by jd.rasentrac, May 14, 2013 - 04:27 AM.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,670 Thanks
  • 6,751 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 05:41 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !   Kenny is right !  It's like that old potato chip ad but for tractor , "  you can't have just one "   :wave:

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 06:12 AM

:welcometogttalk: there's nothing with an engine at my place less than 20yrs old other than weedwackers.

Interested to see what you come up with. Enjoy the Forum!

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,665 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 06:30 AM

Welcome to the forum!

The Montgomery Wards you were going to look at is made by Gilson.  I think pretty highly of those tractors, and if its an older (1970-1975) S frame, you will be pleased 100%. 

Ben W.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,591 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 07:02 AM

All the brands have good points and weak spots. A lot depends on what is available in your area. You can get a lot of good info about different brands by reading the older posts on the forums here. If someone has restored a model you are interested in and documented it here you can get a good idea of what you are up against. 

#8 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 6,260 Thanks
  • 3,349 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 11:23 AM

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride. What has been said is true--- don't leave two G.T.s alone together for too long, they do tend to multiply  lol.

#9 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 599 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 01:04 PM

:welcome: .

#10 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 03:55 PM

Thank you all for the welcome...

The bad news...The 73' didn't pan out, may have been a simple fix, but when it was under any load, it jumped out of gear. I would have loved to have the 10 hp wisconson on it, but it was a package deal.

The good news, he must have been a MW fan, I think he had every other model year up to 92' all with plows, decks, and snowblowers...I asked if he was a member here, but he said he isn't an internet guy,lol. He had about 20 models, and was "thinning the herd". I ended up with a 92' with a v-twin 18 hp on it with deck, plow, snowblower, and all manuals for $200. Needed a battery...I didn't think motorcycle batteries were that much!

I wanted to stay away from a hydro, but gears were turning in my head for a future spot in the garage...you know, something for hard labor,lol. I'll find a deckless beast pretty cheap roaming the yard sales this year.

1978murray, My wife's grandparents lived in Harrison City, I'm up in St. Marys.

Edited by fedora, May 14, 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#11 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,907 Thanks
  • 1,759 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 05:29 PM

I'm up in St. Marys.

Welcome from another Pennsylvanian.

I've visited the eternal tap in your fine town before. :thumbs:

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,840 Thanks
  • 8,614 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 09:06 PM

Welcome to GTtalk.  Sounds like you got a nice deal on the '92.  These things can become very addictive and I think you are finding that out.  :D   Just curious but why the name Fedora?

PS: Motorcycle batteries are very expensive!

#13 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,058 Thanks
  • 7,680 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the place. Good Luck, Rick

#14 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 09:27 PM

As far as the name, I wear a replica indiana jones fedora alot, espically on the boat, couple that with smoking a pipe, people tell me I'm too old to be 31,lol.

The bad part in all this is I'm inbetween houses at the moment, so the tractor is now sitting in storage until we close on the new place...I hate getting new toys and not being able to play with them,lol.

Trying to figure out who made it at the moment, it's a TMO-3395309, and kind of feeling around on the net about the 18 hp v-twin(my first), and what I want to do with it first, I think a good decarbing will suffice until winter, then I have to rebuild carbs, reed plates, and assess the head on my older outboard before I can get too serious with the tractor, but thats also when time at the rifle range becomes a daily thing...too many hobbies and not enough time. 

I think I'm going to like it here, pretty laid back crowd, and I haven't seen a negative post/thread yet.

Edited by fedora, May 14, 2013 - 09:30 PM.

• KennyP, HDWildBill and twostep have said thanks

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,840 Thanks
  • 8,614 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 09:32 PM

There is a Linux Distribution called Fedora and I was just wondering.  I think most of us have to many hobbies and not enough time.