• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Wanted to ask for a while now but keep forgetting. Do any of you guys know the best way to help keep the ticks at bay? We have around 2 acres that we would need to treat. With us having a dog now it seems he is getting at least one if not two of them eat time he goes outside. I guess they are just bad this year.

We have done one treatment of advantix on the dog. We are going to try and start giving him flea and tick baths every two weeks or so also. Someone mentioned using Seven?

#2 coldone OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 08:19 PM

I have used plain old powdered lime before. Just spread it on the yard and it seemed to help.

#3 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,390 Thanks
  • 3,811 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 08:24 PM

For years I have just went to wally-world and got a big bag of "lawn insect control" granular and broadcast it on the yard.  It makes quite a difference.  The dogs were always out in the CRP fields that are on all 4 sides of me but when they'd come back and lay in the yard the stuff would work and ticks were greatly reduced.  I don't have dogs anymore but  I'm still going to treat the yard because it keeps chiggers, spiders and [in August] crickets away. 

Edited by Gtractor, May 13, 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#4 Fabman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 08:25 PM

If you have a pull-behind sprayer i use Malathion. Works for me. :wave:

#5 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,294 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 08:33 PM

Give the Advantix some time to work, best to start 2nd or 3rd week of March I think in cold weather area's.

We keep it on until at least Labor day. Two dogs and two cats are treated with great results using an cheaper knock-off.  :D

I also hit the lawn area's with Bug b Gon once during the season.

P.S. Once the "stuff" gets into the dogs systems no need for the baths, as it will stop fleas and ticks. :thumbs:

This is what it looks like around my house,

so I know about flea's and ticks   :smilewink:  003.JPG

Edited by John@Reliable, May 13, 2013 - 08:38 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,652 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 09:15 PM

We have woods all around our house and 4 dogs. The dogs basically stay in the back yard so their area is controlled   I do like Alan and use the granular bug killer in a spreader and we put brewers yeast in there food.  It works quite well with fleas but not to good with Ticks.  I'm going to have to do something around the new shop, I've already pulled one tick off me.  :wallbanging:

#7 timtractor OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 11:32 PM

If you live in the country, get some chickens and/or guinea chicks. They help a lot.

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,241 Thanks
  • 29,695 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 05:03 AM

If you want to end your dog from having ticks or fleas, then try Comfortis.  It's a pill and man does it work!  Our dogs never have ticks or fleas after we started giving it to them. Kind of pricey, but worth it!  We tried the tubes of different brands but they just didn't work, but Comfortis flat out ended ticks & fleas period.  Took a couple weeks to really get going, but once it did......!   We get it from our vet.  And Malathion will work on the yard, but I'm not sure if it will be residual.

• oldedeeres said thank you