• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 07:24 AM

Yesterday I bought 4 vintage tecumseh engines for parts, since I deal with the Massey Ferguson 10/12 pretty heavily. One of those engines I bought is an OH160 Tecumseh. 

I need to find a cam for it, the intake side has either broken off or it has gone flat. I also need to get a overhaul gasket kit, and an air shroud for the motor. It came from the remnants of a Sears suburban.

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 09:15 AM

Parts tree.com carries most of the gaskets/deals. You may have to find the cam/air shroud on evilbay as used, hard to find NOS parts from Tecumseh as they are getting scarce.

I've got 2 of the 16's, I like them even though a lot of people give them a bad rap. Make sure you check the valve seats on the heads, those are prone to drop the seats out if the head gets too hot, I took a small punch and peened the edges before I put it back together.

• sacsr said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 11:33 AM

What's the complete model number?  I have a couple OHV o ring sets, and possibly a few gasket sets.

Ben W.

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 03:09 PM

What's the complete model number?  I have a couple OHV o ring sets, and possibly a few gasket sets.

Ben W.

Man, I may have to get in on that action if MF10 doesn't just to have a set if I need it.

• MH81 said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 04:40 PM

Man, I may have to get in on that action if MF10 doesn't just to have a set if I need it.

That will work.  I have two or three copies of the o ring set I am thinking about, so if you want one too there's enough to go around.  Gasket sets may be a bit more scanty, although I can give you probably the gaskets you need singly.   

What's your model number so I can check for certain? 

Ben W.

#6 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 08:23 PM

I'm about to part out a OHV140 off a bolens which is complete less shrouds. I dont know what will cross over but I'll give you first dibs.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

#7 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 12:01 AM

I'm going to try and tear apart the engine in the next few days to see exactly what happened in there. I pulled the crank pulley off tonight and was done for the evening.

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 09:17 AM

I'm about to part out a OHV140 off a bolens which is complete less shrouds. I dont know what will cross over but I'll give you first dibs.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

Pretty much everything. I may be wrong, but I have read the OH motors all use the block/internals, but change Horsepower with head volumes. I then wanna say I read the 10 & 14 use same internals and the 12,16,18 use same internals. Some research on parts numbers cross over would have to be done for assurance.

I do know the heads,valves, pushrods, rockers all swap from 12-18 HP so I would imagine cams would all be same profile as heads just have different volume chambers

EDIT: ignore all that, looks like bore changes the HP. Here is all the specs for 12-18, can be found in the Tecumseh 8-18 HP manual.

OH specs.jpg

OH specs 2.jpg

OH specs 3.jpg

Supraben, mine is a 143.670032. Not needed, jsut nice to have on hand just in case. Already had the one partially apart for head repair.

#9 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 12:01 AM

Well it's all apart. Had an interesting find or two. It turns out this engine must have sat for a long while and condensation made a rocker arm seize to the rocker shaft. Years later someone tried to start it and the cam pushed it up but the valve didn't have enough spring pressure to push it back. The pushrod the bounced out of the rocker arm and on the next rotation the lifter went up a little further then normal and stuck.

So, it turns out the cam is fine. The lifters are ok, but a shiny set will go in there if I come across them. The head may need some attention (swapped for a better one). The exhaust valve seat has been staked and will spin in the head. The valve faces are fairly worn, but luckily I have a sioux valve facer and seat dresser. I think the head was involved in a prior incident as there are some indentations from serious debris. If I had to guess it has blown up once before. It appears the engine has been bored 0.010" and the bore has no ridge. I might need to run a glaze breaker through it to get the light rust below the rings. 

I think an overhaul gasket kit, a used set of lifters, and maybe a little nicer used head will get it back together. I will need to fix this flywheel or swap them, the magnets released from the flywheel which explains the noise when I turned it by hand.

I am curious about the valve seat if I try to fix it. Has anyone ever tried to used loctite bearing and sleeve retainer and staking to retain the seat. Years back green loctite didn't exist. It takes serious heat from a torch to release the bond.  

• MH81 said thank you

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 09:54 AM

Well, you found out one of the big issues on the OH motors, especially the 16's for some reason...dropped valve seats, mainly exhaust. I bought my Sears 16 non running, I pretty much knew exactly what it was. Unfortunately, mine had destroyed the head beyond a major repair and elgongated seat in the head. If yours is just lose, I think Napa has some actualy valve seat adhesive speically designed for glueing them in place. Once you get it seated properly, you can also "peen" the edges of aluminum seat down around the steel seat to help keep it int there. I did that to mine when I replaced it. Most used heas go for around $100 on evilbay, if you catch one right they will include rockers, push rods, valves, etc, that's how I got mine.

Here is picture of how I peened the seat, well kind of. This is my old head I beat on some with a bunch of punches, you only need 4 or 8 evenly spaced "peenings" around seats with a small punch.

photobucket-29996-1364948169651_zpsdc9cd

You can make yourself a nifty valve spring compressor out of a piece of angle too :smilewink:

100_0888.jpg

Are the magnets all still stuck to the flywheel? Mine did the same thing, I made sure I kept original orientation, then cleaned both flywheel and magnets and then glued them back with thin layer of JB weld. If they came off, you can follow instructions on Ed's website to get them back in proper orientation.

http://enginesandmagnets.com/id2.html

Here is mine being clamped during drying.

100_0893.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, May 16, 2013 - 09:55 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#11 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 10:16 AM

If you need anything for the motor we have most here new or used. Also have the complete gasket sets here or just the parts you need. If you really want i have a brand new OH160 motor here complete.

• MF10 DIESEL and MH81 have said thanks

#12 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 12:53 PM

I am interested in getting some prices, after looking at eBay. The gasket sets are pretty expensive.

I

#13 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 11:20 AM

If you need anything for the motor we have most here new or used. Also have the complete gasket sets here or just the parts you need. If you really want i have a brand new OH160 motor here complete.

Message sent

#14 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 12:29 PM

Here is a picture of my not so good cylinder head.

IMG_0157_zps7cba25eb.jpg

Edited by MF10 DIESEL, June 02, 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#15 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 02:33 PM

Posted Image

posted with tapatalk 4