• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 08:13 PM

Yours works much better than ours. Still, they make you take big boy steps tho don't they?
  • VSTROM803 said thank you

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 03:23 AM

I'm still working on mine. I will have to adjust the cutter bar some.

#4 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 03:52 AM

I'm interested to see how your new knife sections work out. Where did you purchase them?

• Amigatec said thank you

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 04:22 AM

I found them on eBay. I used bolts and nuts and the nuts are to high. I plan to weld a bead on the bottom of the clips to keep them from hitting the nuts.

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for posting the video  , I've been trying to get the sickle bar working correctly on the DB 600 , but even though  it's cutting better it still seems to shake too much, I might have to figure a better repair for the one that was made where the pitman arm pivots the knife section . Right now the instead of a bolt going through the square drive someone welded a 3/8" bolt from the knife section up  and the little square drive is missing, so a large nut is in it's place ,washer with 3/8"locknut ,maybe that's what's causing the shake ? Too much play

#7 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 10:39 PM

Nice working machine!  I like seeing these old machines still earning their keep. 

I maybe a bit late but if the hole spacing on your knife is 3" knives can be found at TSC,,,, I redid my Gravely cutterbar a year or so ago and replaced all the knives and switched from old rivets to bolts, replaced the wear strips and used their universal knife clips so the nuts clear.  Gotta love new parts, I can now cut acres without clogging,,, it had gotten to the point that I wondered why they made such a cursed attachment.

• Amigatec and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#8 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 08:42 PM

Thanks for posting the video  , I've been trying to get the sickle bar working correctly on the DB 600 , but even though  it's cutting better it still seems to shake too much, I might have to figure a better repair for the one that was made where the pitman arm pivots the knife section . Right now the instead of a bolt going through the square drive someone welded a 3/8" bolt from the knife section up  and the little square drive is missing, so a large nut is in it's place ,washer with 3/8"locknut ,maybe that's what's causing the shake ? Too much play

How about the bushing at the bottom that the arm pivots on? I have another sickle mower that has a lot of play there and makes a terrible racket.

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 08:56 PM

I'll have to check the bushings in that pivot tube (  might not be correct name  lol )  I can put the best parts from the parts sickle bar that I picked up at the flea market last weekend . I started taking the  parts bar apart  tonight the little square drive looks good hopefully everything else is in good shape as far as wear items

• MH81 said thank you

#10 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 06:17 AM

Nice working machine!  I like seeing these old machines still earning their keep. 

I maybe a bit late but if the hole spacing on your knife is 3" knives can be found at TSC,,,, I redid my Gravely cutterbar a year or so ago and replaced all the knives and switched from old rivets to bolts, replaced the wear strips and used their universal knife clips so the nuts clear.  Gotta love new parts, I can now cut acres without clogging,,, it had gotten to the point that I wondered why they made such a cursed attachment.

The biggest problem these use 2" knives, you can find them but they are hard to find and expensive. Some of the Gravely sickle used 2" knives, and so did Jari. I was able to find a NOS set of knives for mine and used JD guards to rebuild mine.

#11 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:00 AM

I found an entire 7 foot brand new replacement bar with new sections that I could cut to fit mine.

DSC_0042800x665.jpg

After two years of poor cutting, I removed the guards and simply sharpened the ledger plates with a 4 1/2" angle grinder.

The machine cuts like a lawnmower now!!  :dancingbanana: Fine grass, tall stuff, it cuts it all.

My replacement sections were serrated, the ledger plates were also serrated.

Now the ledger plates are un-serrated after sharpening!!

Edited by CADplans, May 24, 2013 - 09:00 AM.

• Alc and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#12 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 04:24 AM

Now that's a beast! I'd love to have one of those old Gravelys.