• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 speedyx OFFLINE  

speedyx
  • Member No: 14199
  • 8 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 07:32 PM

anybody know what the rear axle seals housing looks like on a M23? The cover and seal are missing on mine it bolts on the bull gear housing

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 08:48 PM

I have similar model, may be same rear axle. Stripping soon. I have it part stripped and can maybe put on some pictures. Those axles are weird and not looking forward to tearing into, yet mine sounds clunky and I'll have to check it out. There is a couple parts places for  speedex in Ohio. I'll have to work on finding them. They are on sites for Speedex, yet hard to find and not too much action on those places. Might be best to go to a show and buy parts tractor for those major items. They do show up from time to time. Portland IN swap meet this week 15th to 18th, might  have some there. I'll take pix if I recall and put them on here of the tear-down, just won't be this week with sale and such. Go to     speedexinformation.org for downloading of manuals/parts books. Some are hard to read and not big. May need to go to a diff model to get better/clearer pictures, but think rears are the same for many models. Example,mine is 1430 0 model, has poor manual, yet go to 1640 and it is very clear and all same parts, cept engine. The S series are liste as all models on that manual.

• speedyx said thank you

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 06:37 PM

Hey, not sure how much in parts you have on yours or exactly what you are asking about. Mine is shown in 1430 post below with lots of pictures. Tore apart today. There is two tin halves covering center of bull gear where the left axle comes out. Mine had gasket gook on it, no real gasket. Lot s of little 1/4" bolts and wide washers holding those on. The halves kinda cross over in center with cut out for the axle to turn. No seal at that axle area, on mine anyway. Even the cast bull sections had no gasket, just some sort of gasket gunk, similar to silicone, only this was hard, so must not have been. No gasket on mine. I'm gonna make a gasket when I reassemble tho and still use sealer of some sort. Whole cover is held on by just bunch of long 1/4" bolts all around it. Pretty Chincy set-up!

• speedyx said thank you

#4 speedyx OFFLINE  

speedyx
  • 8 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Yes I never had any luck in finding a manual or much else,the bull gear and a crude pinion gear. The bull gear cover on mine has a place for another cover the axle goes thru,that is the missing piece

Edited by speedyx, May 24, 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#5 speedyx OFFLINE  

speedyx
  • 8 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 10:03 PM

I figure I can make a cover, its easy to see why all the gear oil seeps out, I did not catch your picture post

#6 speedyx OFFLINE  

speedyx
  • 8 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 10:08 PM

the old models only had a large bull gear and one pinon gear.I have never found a pinion gear replacement. the shaft my pinion gear turns on was worn due to it being softer steel than gear this caused it to chatter a lot. I am in process of making new shaft for gear. The new models had two pinions much more beefy and a diffrent bull.Being in So Fl you do not find much here.