Bought a 2414 last summer, gonna be getting into it now. Have mostly stripped, still on wheels. Removing dragging brakes sure made diff in pushing, ha! Will be long on-going project this summer, done in fall I hope! Lots of blasting ahead!
2414 Rebuild Start.
Posted May 11, 2013 - 10:51 AM
Posted May 11, 2013 - 11:18 AM
I am looking forward to seeing it! Make sure to post pictures! Will this one be yellow or orange?
Posted May 11, 2013 - 05:11 PM
I cant wait, I love rebuild threads.
Posted May 11, 2013 - 07:28 PM
Where the heck are the
Posted May 11, 2013 - 10:32 PM
Ryan, kinda debating on a diff color. I DID really like the one in my Avatar, didn't keep very long. Was thinking maybe do another like it. Heck, maybe some other off the wall for PK's color. We can't all have the same ones, someone's gotta be different. I DO believe the tunnel tin is gonna stay off, just like the MM one, I like that. I put down a diamond plate below shaft, but setting on frame. Worked good and didn't hide stuff when you needed to adjust or fix.
Posted May 11, 2013 - 10:42 PM
Man, I tell ya, I HATE push pins!!!!! Pk's used lots of pin in those cross shafts for brake pedals and lift links. Lots of little 1/4" ones. Rusted in solid, never gonna drive them out cold. Lots of heat and penetrant, and more of each, bigger hammers, many punches. Now I'm all worn out after working on that for 3hrs or more! Didn't think I was ever gonna get them loose. 1/4" bolts will be going back in mine, least they'll have a head on them to turn and loosen when rusty. Was happy the parts on shafts weren't rusted tight, the other problem that shows up when doing these. I still have the rear axle on and wheels. Front's off, frame is bare. Gonna push out like a wheelbarrow, remove wheels, and power wash. Even down inside the frame tubes. There's more rust and greasy spots that has fallen out on my floor while beating on stuff than you would ever imagine! Would like to blast, but am leaving axle on and alone, so won't be doing that. Wire brush and sand discs in 4.5" grinder will be used. Knotted brushes can remove plenty of paint and junk fairly easy. You get plenty dirty, and I usually do it outside with all the crap flying around. Pictures??? Haven't you seen enough PK"s and others all apart yet? Nothing new Here! I'll see what I can do, but not making any step by step instructions or videos, Nada!
Posted May 12, 2013 - 04:06 PM
OK, boring pictures of crowded garage and PK frame. Will be power washing what's left When it warms up, hope soon! Portland this week, so not much wrenching going on.
Posted May 12, 2013 - 09:19 PM
Nice work! It appears that you're doing a lot more of a restoration than I am so it will be a great learning experience for me to follow along!
Edited by Austen, May 12, 2013 - 09:20 PM.
Posted May 13, 2013 - 06:01 PM
Frame is clean, next is brushing and sanding before paint. Note in these pictures the rusty area down the backside of gear cases. Looks like something ate it away. Battery Acid may have been on the left, but what about right, which looks deeper?? Wheels had calcium in them, wonder if some could have gotten out and dripped there and ate it out?? I've never seen anything like this before on a PK.
Edited by glgrumpy, May 13, 2013 - 06:01 PM.
Posted May 14, 2013 - 05:57 AM
I'm not sure if your making a show tractor or to use ( in my case I abuse them at times lol ) I couldn't tell for sure but on some PKs there is a angled support going from the lower part of the 3 pt lift arms to the frame . you might want to add ones or make ones a little longer if it's going to be a user
Posted June 01, 2013 - 04:32 PM
You're right about those push pins, I replace them with bolts every time I take one out. On my 2414 that I am starting to rebuild, one of the previous owners thought it would be a good idea, or more likely he lost the pins when he had them out. He replaced them with bolts and tightened the bolts right up so the ends of the brake rods wouldn't pivot on the brake levers. I always find a bolt where the threads will just come thru the brake rod end so they can't be overtightened then I double nut them an cut off the excess
Posted July 04, 2013 - 08:20 PM
Back into this rig again after Speedex build. Today I cleaned up most of frame and painted front 3/4. I have to clean better around the rear, which is still in it, before I can paint it. Guess what..........MM Yellow wins! Yellow frame and tin. Red wheels, with rears outside portion being silver, then floor plate will be red and the 3pt hitch. Not sure on engine color, might just be black! I found rust holes in bottom of one frame rail. Nevr seen that before. The tubes were full of rusty metal junk and dumped and blew them out when I turned it up on end. also some rusted away just above axle mount area. I'm going to just leave and not fix and hope no future problem. Maybe I'll be driving some day and it will bend in half or axle fall out! I don't really think so, seems plenty strong yet that I can tell.
Posted July 07, 2013 - 01:09 AM
Frame's painted up and some accessories. I have more together today, but didn't get latest picture. I have front end all on, cept the hubs now. Two cross tubes in for brake and lift llevers.
Posted July 13, 2013 - 01:53 PM
Posted July 25, 2013 - 05:23 PM
Update on the King! Brakes all new and on, 3pt is on, all wheels now changed and on. Been tearing down outer engine parts to clean/paint. It is going to be Black. Trans will be coming apart soon for new bearings. Here's some latest pictures.