2 replies to this topic

#1 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,399 Thanks
  • 4,609 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Got a little problem with the 1256 that I have the Sickle-Mo mounted on. Not REAL serious but danged aggravating.

The idler for engaging the PTO and the idler that keeps pressure on the drive belts are on the same shaft.

When I after I engage the PTO and then disengage it, it pulls the idler for the drive belts back as well and of course, the tractor won't move.  The first time that happened I thought I had some major problems.

Any way, I can shutdown the engine, push the drive belt idler back in, and all is well until the next time that I have to disengage the PTO

I've sprayed it liberally with PBblaster, but that hasn't seemed to help.  At least not yet.

Anyone with any other suggestions?

Edited by OldBuzzard, May 11, 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,449 Thanks
  • 17,088 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 09:14 AM

There's Nylon bushings on the shaft.  Possibly one worn out and broke in half causing the resistance.

Or the shaft could have just rusted from sitting out in the elements......

#3 MailmAn OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 12:14 PM

:ditto:   Yeah, it is either something giving resistance on the shaft or possibly the tensioner spring is worn out and you could use a tighter spring on it to help pull the pulley tighter on the drive belt.  Also, depending on how much the pulley moves out after you disengage the PTO, could the drive belts be stretched out and too loose with age?  Maybe some new belts will keep things tighter as well.  Hard to say without being there what exactly the problem is though.