Kohler Dies In 5 Minutes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kenny57 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 35091
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 11:45 AM

Im working on a Kohler CH15S, Type 44508. The engine will run about 5 mins. Then it starts sputtering,have to pull choke to keep running. Ive cleaned carb. twice. It will run fine at half  throttle. could carb. be bad.

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,218 Thanks
  • 29,686 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 11:49 AM

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem TO the carb.  Fuel level in bowl is dropping due to pump not keeping up with demand.   Check vent in fuel tank cap, then if it's clear, time to track down the problem.  Could be trash in the tank blocking outlet, deteriorated fuel line, blocked filter, or bad pump.

• boyscout862, superaben and larryd have said thanks

#3 Guest_gravely-power_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 10, 2013 - 11:52 AM

Have you checked the fuel cap? The fuel pump? the fuel filter? Are you sure the carb jets are clear? Have you checked for an air intake leak when it gets hot? All these will contribute to your problem.

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,638 Thanks
  • 8,520 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 04:02 PM

I think GP and Olcowhand has about covered everything.  Take fuel cap off and run it and see it the problem goes away.  If you still have the problem go to the carburetor and disconnect the fuel line and put in a bucket, then turn the engine over and see what kind of fuel delivery you have.  If it is low check the fuel delivery at the fuel filter.  That should pin point the problem.

On a side note: when you cleaned the carburetor did you clean under the Welch plugs?

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#5 kenny57 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 35091
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 07:57 AM

i tried taking gas cap off, checked fuel pump. blew out fuel lines. The mower will run half throttle all day but not full throttle..When engine is cold i have to give it a a shot of either to get it running. i ordered intake gaskets , if i spray carb cleaner  around intake it will run.  so i will put new gaskets on and see if that helps. 

#6 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,048 Thanks
  • 2,090 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 09:23 AM

I ran into something similar on a Kohler M18.

The carb flange was warped. ...Carb removed and flange flattened with sandpaper on a piece of glass.

I read somewhere to NOT use a double intake gasket.