• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NCMau OFFLINE  

NCMau
  • Member No: 34666
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 11:42 AM

I have a 6.5HP, OH valves Harborfreight small engine. I had it for about 3 years or so. Did not get much usage but when I used it always started and ran good. Just recently, I tried to start it but it did not work. It has been a while since it ran, and I hate to say this, but I neglected to drain the gas before the winter. Consequently the carburetor was gummed up. So I removed it and soaked it for 3 days, then blew compress air into every fuel passage several times… and still did not work. Obviously the fuel is not getting into the cylinder.

When applying a squirt of carb cleaner, tries to start for few revolutions. There is a good spark out of the plug and there is plenty gas in the bowl. If tries to start with a squirt, I assume the valves are okay.

Either I am overlooking something or the carb needs to be replaced.

Any ideas? 

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 04:07 PM

When you cleaned the carburetor did you disassemble it?  If so did you clean out behind the Welch plugs?  Depending on how bad it is gummed up you may need to take a small wire and run through the passages.  Is the float working properly?  How about the needle seat is it open and in good shape.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 NCMau OFFLINE  

NCMau
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 06:42 PM

It was disassembled as much as I could. The float assembly/needle are working fine. The gas is going into the carb, it's just not going out. I am going to take another crack at those passages with a wire.

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 07:23 PM

If you use Ebay those carbs are only $14.65 and $3.95 shipping, And that is for a brand new one. They even have ones that come with the gaskets. All the parts on your engine are the same as the Honda GX200(6.5 hp) and I believe the GX160(5.5hp) also. I have the 13hp model and I have replaced everything with Honda GX390 parts, and they bolt right up! http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c6b00b3f9

For the price I didn't even bother rebuilding my carb, I just bought a new one.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 10:56 AM

I have gotten to the point when I clean a carburetor I will brush off or use air to get as much dirt as I can off the body and then I use baking soda to blast it clean.  Once I'm happy with the results I then will clean it with mineral spirits or carburetor cleaner to get the residual soda off and then use shop air to dry all the passages and ports.  

I also have a set of dentist tools that I will use to get a stubborn spot.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 02:16 PM

I should add that the reason I bought a new carb, was one they are made so cheaply, and two the rebuild kit costs more than a new carb.

#7 NCMau OFFLINE  

NCMau
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 07:31 AM

Excellent info. Thanks

#8 NCMau OFFLINE  

NCMau
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 07:13 AM

If you use Ebay those carbs are only $14.65 and $3.95 shipping, And that is for a brand new one. They even have ones that come with the gaskets. All the parts on your engine are the same as the Honda GX200(6.5 hp) and I believe the GX160(5.5hp) also. I have the 13hp model and I have replaced everything with Honda GX390 parts, and they bolt right up! http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c6b00b3f9

For the price I didn't even bother rebuilding my carb, I just bought a new one.

I didn't know that Honda has the same parts. I really like the engine. It has features not normally found in less expensive engines.

Anyway I have a carb on order. Thanks.