29 replies to this topic

#1 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:17 AM

Hi I just got a JD 112. Serial starts with  260 so That would make it a 1973. Kohler engine K301AS.

I need wiring diagram and would also like to find a service, repair or shop manual for it. For now I am just trying to get it to start as I have no spark. Theres a wire comming out of the point cover that has been cut. I dont know how this system is wired and the ignition switch has been completely disconnected.

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#2 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 10:22 AM

congrats to your JD112sf. we had several wiring diagrams in older topics

http://gardentractor...d-pto/?p=305330

http://gardentractor...agram/?p=296125

maybe this will help

edit: I think, your 112 looks like this  JD112(250001- )OM.jpg

Edited by jd.rasentrac, May 10, 2013 - 11:41 AM.

• JDBrian and hatedge have said thanks

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 10:42 AM

Here's a link to the K-series Service manual..  

It will give you everything you need to know about that engine:

Click HERE

• hatedge and twostep have said thanks

#4 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 04:38 PM

well after a whole day of trying to hook up the switch and to get some sparks happening. I get the starter to turn but I have no spark. I took the coil and condenser off and tried them on another tractor and it ran smothly, so coil and condenser are not the problem. The only things I can think of is that im not aware of the right starting procedure or that some safety switch is causing the problem. I also have the same problem on my MF 14 and did the same work and tests on it. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 06:27 PM

You're going to have to get the wiring sorted out on it before you can tell what's going on.  You need to trace the circuit from the chassis(battery -) through the points, ignition switch, safety switches and coil to the Battery +12volts. 

• hatedge said thank you

#6 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 10:30 PM

yeah I know. Im planning to hook only the engine up and see if I get spark. If I do, then ill work from there I guess

#7 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 10:52 PM

OK I finally get sparks. I hooke the battery on the coil and the engine fired up! :)

I now know the switch needs to be changed because it has the wrong prong layout for this engine. Tomorow ill stick a new one in there.

Edited by hatedge, May 13, 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#8 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 11:57 AM

You're going to have to get the wiring sorted out on it before you can tell what's going on.  You need to trace the circuit from the chassis(battery -) through the points, ignition switch, safety switches and coil to the Battery +12volts. 

Now, I will start messing with the pto electric clutch. I see loose bare wires comming out of the face of the pto. That cant be right? I dont thing it will work when I get the JD started tomorow so ill need a walkthrough for dummies with this next step. How do I test if the clutch work or is good? How is it supposed to hook up and where does it connect?

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 02:45 PM

I wish someone would come up with a wiring diagram for your tractor.  The clutch generally should have a DC resistance of 3 or 4 ohms or at least in that neighborhood. If it reads open circuit it's burned out. If it reads low then it could be completely shorted or have shorted turns. Many of the clutches have a clearance adjustment but we won't go there at this point. The PTO switch usually has 2 sets of contacts. 1 set powers the clutch coil and the other is a safety interlock that is in series with the starter solenoid control line from the ignition switch. If the PTO switch is on then the tractor cannot be started. If it's off then you get power through the switch. 

These switches are a major causes of no starts and the safety contacts are often bypassed. Sometimes if the PTO switch main contacts are defective people will re wire so that the former safety contacts turn the PTO clutch on and off and the safety function is left out. After the clutch coil itself the switch is the most common problem area. The coils sometimes have only 1 wire with the chassis connection making the return connection to the battery - terminal. So it won't work if you have a bad connection on the chassis side. 

• IamSherwood and hatedge have said thanks

#10 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 02:53 PM

I wish someone would come up with a wiring diagram for your tractor. 

That's the problem with JD, they are so afraid to lose a sale that you can't post them on-line as JD lawyers are all over "free stuff on the web", but they will sell, all you need :( .

Hopefully someone will be kind enough to e-mail what he needs. Sometimes you see used books on E-bay. :thumbs:

• hatedge said thank you

#11 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 07:40 PM

I wish someone would come up with a wiring diagram for your tractor.  The clutch generally should have a DC resistance of 3 or 4 ohms or at least in that neighborhood. If it reads open circuit it's burned out. If it reads low then it could be completely shorted or have shorted turns. Many of the clutches have a clearance adjustment but we won't go there at this point. The PTO switch usually has 2 sets of contacts. 1 set powers the clutch coil and the other is a safety interlock that is in series with the starter solenoid control line from the ignition switch. If the PTO switch is on then the tractor cannot be started. If it's off then you get power through the switch. 

These switches are a major causes of no starts and the safety contacts are often bypassed. Sometimes if the PTO switch main contacts are defective people will re wire so that the former safety contacts turn the PTO clutch on and off and the safety function is left out. After the clutch coil itself the switch is the most common problem area. The coils sometimes have only 1 wire with the chassis connection making the return connection to the battery - terminal. So it won't work if you have a bad connection on the chassis side. 

OK I hooked the clutch straight to battery to test it out and it works well enough. I then proceeded to hook up the switch. 2 prong on that switch so i figured positive to the orange wire that splits to also go to the lift switch. I hooked battery to that orange wire and the found continuity between the + and - side of battery when pto switch is pulled on and also continuity between + side of battery and the body of lift switch!!! That cant be right, The pto works but I get sparks on the battery connector and thats wrong. Tomorow ill have to figure out all them weird breakers and wires. So many butt ends and electrical tape in there its quite hard to figure out. I'm not gonna be able to figure it out without a diagram. If it was all direct current it would be easy but those breakers have me mixed up :(

Edited by hatedge, May 14, 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#12 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 05:50 AM

OK the PTO works fine the way it was hooked andall. I guess the sparks came from bad battery connection and that continuity is nomal between +and - if pto circuit is closed   :wallbanging:  . I the tooke electric lift out cleaned it and painted it (might as well since Im holding it). a lil grease in the right places and a lil sanding of rotor and contact points. Then I re-installed it but it only worked one way!?$%&. re-tested it ant the motor is not guilty. the switch activates the selenoid both ways but I get current only one way. I have to figure this one out before replacing the 40 $ switch.

#13 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,316 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 06:08 AM

I have gone to the JD dealer in the next town over and asked for a copy of a diagram or two before.  They have got out the manual and made me copies....for free, no cost.... right on the spot.  you might try that...ask the guys at the parts counter at a J D dealership......if you have one close ebough to you....also, a few times I have been able to bounce around on the internet and found info ....good luck

Edited by James henry, May 16, 2013 - 06:11 AM.

• hatedge said thank you

#14 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 17, 2013 - 07:11 AM

I have gone to the JD dealer in the next town over and asked for a copy of a diagram or two before.  They have got out the manual and made me copies....for free, no cost.... right on the spot.  you might try that...ask the guys at the parts counter at a J D dealership......if you have one close ebough to you....also, a few times I have been able to bounce around on the internet and found info ....good luck

I actually did just that last week :) But the dealer called me back 2 days later to say that he just couldnt find anything for the 112. All he had was a lift system wiring diagram gotten off the net that doesnt quite fit my machine

#15 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 03:30 PM

OK ive gone through all those problems with a lil help and a lot of determination :)

Now ive a rush problem... Ive a tiller model E0701 that I need to install on a JD 112 ASAP! A guy is comming to trade me a Bolens 1453 fully equiped if the tiller works!!!!! Anyone got a pic or a diagram for belt routing?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: john deere, 112, t0011