• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,576 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 06:18 PM

Broadleaf weeds,woody vines, and dandelions can be taken out with 2-4D and it won't hurt grass at all.

I think some yard chemicals for public purchase contain 2-4D, but you'll have to read the Brand label to see.

#18 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:08 PM

I think the Bayer stuff is a form of 2-4D.  I've used it in the past and it really leaves the grass alone.  On some of the tougher plantains it takes 2 treatments, but it does get 'em.  This new stuff (pre-mix, gallon jug, "free" sprayer) also has red dye in it supposedly to see where you sprayed.  Once it's dry it's also is no longer red.  http://www.bayeradva...rabgrass-killer

I like the previous post re. using a glove to dab onto leaves, I think this is the only way I will be able to treat the poison ivy and Va. creeper growing over part of my juniper bushes.  I think I'll try an old paint brush first...

• Alc said thank you

#19 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 12:23 AM

We use roundup on the farm and our concentrate is stronger than can be bought thru places like TSC.  It is more potent than the good version they keep on the shelf.

2-4D works well on Ivy.  Gramoxone in hot weather will totally burn most plants down by afternoon if sprayed early morning, but requires applicator's license.  I got Meangreen hooked on it.  He bought a 2 1/2 gallon jug under my license and he's sold on it.  That jug ($85) will last him a few years spraying his gravel drive, around buildings, etc.

Thats what we use at the farm as well.  Have used it for years now too and like Daniel said, spray in the morning its dead in the afternoon.

Broadleaf weeds,woody vines, and dandelions can be taken out with 2-4D and it won't hurt grass at all.

I think some yard chemicals for public purchase contain 2-4D, but you'll have to read the Brand label to see.

If I sprayed 2-4D on my yard Daniel there wouldn't be a yard left to mow!  :rolling: The weeds have taken it over.

#20 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,008 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 10:44 AM

My Round Up come straight out of the bulk tank at the COOP. Works good for me. Have hardly started the weed eater since I've started using it. Spray around the buildings and everywhere I used to have to trim. Love the stuff. Once a year and your done.