• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 08:53 PM

EDIT:  I think this should be moved to the "Lawn" or "Garden" forum.... now that I already pushed the button in "Off Topic".:D

Did I miss something changed in the Round Up weed killer formulation?  Last year I thought my Round Up concentration had been frozen because it didn't work like it always did.  This year I bought a new jug of concentrate and mixed it according to the label (6oz/gal.) sprayed it on dandelions and plantains IN THE SUN and they laughed it off.

Finally, I just added an entire ounce of contrate to a premixed quart and that works a little better.  I remember when it was "one shot today, browning weed the next day".  I might as well give this stuff up for poison ivy and Virginia creeper and find a better brand.

End of whining complaint. :D

Edited by HydroHarold, May 09, 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,603 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 09:11 PM

Freezing temperatures do not hurt Roundup or any glyphosate product.  It doesn't freeze or lose potency by being exposed to sub-freezing temps.  We have customers that store thousands of gallons of glyphosate in unheated buildings all winter. 

Did Monsanto thin it down to make more profit or to comply with new government regs?  Could be?  I haven't heard any customers complaining about that.  

I have noticed in the last couple of years it takes up to a week for the vegitation to wilt. 

There is chemical out there that works much better, but you have to have a chemical applicators license just to purchase it. 

Just figure on mixing it a little stronger as needed. 

• Alc said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 09:27 PM

2-4D works well on Ivy.  Gramoxone in hot weather will totally burn most plants down by afternoon if sprayed early morning, but requires applicator's license.  I got Meangreen hooked on it.  He bought a 2 1/2 gallon jug under my license and he's sold on it.  That jug ($85) will last him a few years spraying his gravel drive, around buildings, etc.

#4 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 869 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 09:29 PM

hi up here in canada they pretty well band it all, i am lucky i have a 20 year stash of the good stuff, 100 to 1 mix, they did bring back round up but not in the same concentrations, my neighbour was trying to kill this vine in his garden to no avail with the " new round up" with less than desirable results, i gave his sprayer an ounce jolt of the good stuff and it was dead in a week, just a cash grab as always when something works too good lets take it off the market and sell you 2 or 3 more products to take its place

• twostep said thank you

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 09:53 PM

I could be wrong on this, but I have bought Roundup in the big box store and thought it was a bit anemic.
Daniel and a lot of farmers are certified chemical applicators and have had training in proper handling and application rates.

The average Joe off the street(like me) have not and could do a lot of damage, by not knowing better?

In our litigation driven society, it makes sense to reduce the damage and liability some unknowing person could do.
I would guess Daniel and certified applicators can get it full strength.
So I could hardly blame the chemical company for selling a diluted version to the average consumer.

I do not have poison ivy, but have not found the burn down time on Canadian Thistle to be excessive.
But I always do it on a hot dry day.

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 12:30 AM

i dont have any trouble with my round-up, but then again it comes straight from the Monsanto plant in tank trailers that we work on. Alway plenty of the good stuff to be found at the shop, as we do work on the pumps and metering equipment. I did notice last yr that it was harder to kill weeds, but i beleive it was due to them getting a harder outer surface because of lack of rain and the heat.

• Alc said thank you

#7 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 01:29 AM

Their are 2 different concentrations of it. The stuff you buy at Walmart is about 18%, the stuff you buy at farm store is 41%. Look real close at the label. I buy the off label stuff from the COOP. But one thing I have noticed is, the price has come way down. 2 1/2 gal used to cost close to $100, now I can find it for around $40. The 18% stuff will just knock the weeds back, the 41% stuff will kill to the root.
  • Alc said thank you

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 05:40 AM

Does Round-Up only kill the plants through leave contact?  If it's oversprayed  gets on the ground will that hurt the roots of the case crop ? I have an invasive  ground ivy that I'm trying to keep from spreading into the garden and would like to use either the small premix or put some in a squrit bottle to just spray any of the ivy leaves that trys to pop up in the garden , thanks Al

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,699 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 06:21 AM

Round-up's copyright has expired. That is why the price has come down, there are now generic versions of it.

Round-up only kills through surface contact to a plant, spraying it on bare dirt will render it harmless within 24 hours. It breaks down quickly.

If you wish to use RU in close quarters to other plants, remove the lid and use a cloth or leather glove. Dip a finger into the RU, and then paint it on the weed with one finger.

• Alc said thank you

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,607 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 06:31 AM

..... spraying it on bare dirt will render it harmless within 24 hours. It breaks down quickly.

That is what the literature has always said. Stories coming out this year are saying otherwise; that there is a residue.

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,699 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 06:54 AM

That is what the literature has always said. Stories coming out this year are saying otherwise; that there is a residue.

Transplant a weed into a test plot, then. Please record your results.

#12 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 07:47 AM

i was told at homedepot that round up doesnt work well in colder temperatures.  I havnt had any complaints as associate but then maybe I did and forgot

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:11 AM

Does Round-Up only kill the plants through leave contact?  If it's oversprayed  gets on the ground will that hurt the roots of the case crop ? I have an invasive  ground ivy that I'm trying to keep from spreading into the garden and would like to use either the small premix or put some in a squrit bottle to just spray any of the ivy leaves that trys to pop up in the garden , thanks Al

Al: Google Borax as a weed killer, you will find a lot of info and recipe's. I learned about it from my Sister-in-Law's grandfather, an old Bohemian Gardener. Mr Dvorak, had awesome gardens. It is particularly good for Ground Ivy and Creeping Charlie. In Colfax my whole back yard was Creeping Charlie and it took it right out. I just used the common laundry detergent.

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 10, 2013 - 08:17 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,607 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:41 AM

I don't own any RU stock and don't personally have any knowledge + or -. Jus' sayin'.

http://tolland.patch...seases_f69e294f

Edited by LilysDad, May 10, 2013 - 08:41 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#15 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 06:11 PM

As usual, lot's of good info feedback!!!  I got my RU from the local garden supply store so I'm sure it's the lesser %age.  I'll just cheat and mix it a bit hotter.  If I find out this is another beaurocratic regulation boondoggle I'll mix it 4X hotter!:D

Tried another product today made by Bayer.  It's to be used right in the lawn and won't do as much damage to grass.  Will see how the plantains and dandelions like that stuff.