• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 12:11 PM

I have been unable to read the model info on the Clinton engine . If I can read the numbers I hope to be able to date the engine. I have a Clinton engine dealers parts book that gives dates by serial #s. If I get the tractor I will need a gas tank and carburator .

1978Murray , you still around ? Still have the carbs you mentioned before? Thanks.

#17 mjmccoy64 OFFLINE  

mjmccoy64
  • Member No: 33551
  • 5 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:10 AM

Just picked up a Western Auto Power Cultivator with my 2 DB tractors. Plan on getting it going this weekend.

http://gardentractor...or/#entry425502
  • trowel said thank you

#18 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 07:57 PM

It took me 10 months but I now have the Plow Hoss.plow hoss rh frt in truck.jpeg

I bought it on my way to work today and tinkered with it on my lunch hour. It has compression and very weak tingle on the plug wire. That's encouraging because I usually find with weak fire a points cleaning will restore the spark as it should be. The valves are probably ok because I feel some suction at the intake port and some push at the muffler. Now I will start a serious effort to find replacements for the missing gas tank, carburator, and air filter. The seller started at $100 but I got it for $50. Maybe still too much but I don't think he would have ever agreed to any less. Thanks.

• trowel said thank you

#19 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 08:07 PM

Can someone post a good close up pic of the bracket that attaches the front wheel to the frame and give me some dimensions? One good thing about fabricating that part... if it looks kinda homemade it will fit in with the rest of the tractor. My not so pretty welding will look like what came factory on it.Thanks again.

#20 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 09:03 PM

Congrats on getting the tractor. Patience pays off. I think old Superaben over at Old Paths Equip has a hoard of Clinton stuff. Maybe he can help you out.

#21 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:22 PM

I left the treasure on my truck and took it to work again today. I cleaned the points and now have good blue spark at the plug. A fellow that I have bought old stuff from before came by and saw it on my truck. He ask if I wanted another Clinton like the one on the tractor, but complete. Guess what I said.I might get to hear this thing run this weekend!

#22 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 09:38 PM

You told him no????

• Lauber1 said thank you

#23 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 292 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 08:11 AM

I posted the following craigslist find this morning under the GTT Ebay, wiki, craigslist column. "http://muncie.craigs...4340157054.html". It is in Bluffton Indiana and shows a one wheel unit, something BUSTER in with a bunch of engines. I remembered reading about the Early Plow Hoss posts here and thought it might be of interest to someone on these posts. I'm a relatively new member here and have enjoyed spening countless hours reading about members projects, hope this will serve of some benefit to someone.

Denny 

#24 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 06:50 PM

The seller is going to deliver the engine to me next Tuesday, one week from today. He says it is complete and not stuck and is identical to the one I have, except it does not have the reduction gear. I will transfer the needed parts from it onto the one I have. Once I have the engine parts I need the restoration should be an easy one. It will be just a matter of disassembly ,cleaning,painting and reassembly.

• trowel said thank you

#25 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 08:36 PM

I finally got the Clinton engine today.clinton 5hp lh.jpeg

It came with two spare carbs , one having the air-cleaner still attached. After examining the carb and air cleaner shown next to the engine in the photo, I believe it is the one off of the Plow Hoss.plow hoss w carb.jpeg The fellow that I bought the engine and carbs from works at the tractor dealership where I bought the tractor. I'm thinking that he took the carb and air-cleaner as a spare for his Clinton, now my Clinton.If I can find a tank now I can leave the "new" engine intact.

• trowel said thank you

#26 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 08:53 PM

Red Horse series, early to mid 60's depending on the serial number, very good shape, nice find.

Check with our sponsor Old Paths Equipment.

Edited by trowel, March 27, 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#27 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 08:25 PM

I can't believe that I've left the Plowhoss alone until today. I put on one of the spare carbs that I bought. I didn't have a tank handy so I injected enough gas into the carb to fill the bowl. It started on the third pull and ran great. No smoke and no noise.I was suprised at how long it runs on a bowl full.feeding plowhoss carb.jpg   Now I will try to find a tank for it.

• LPBolens and Alc have said thanks