#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 05:20 PM

Pto belt on White 2055 is on front. Looks about same system as the 990's on rear of engine, but the belt is longer, the 34" 990 isn't even close. MTD number is 754-01234.  No listing of size in parts or user manual, only this number. NOW, my old belt has that number on it, so might be orig.  Seems it is only a 3/8" and looks like pulleys need a 1/2" belt. The orig one seems way loose, thought it was gonna be generic one someone put on.  There is an adjustment on cable, but don't think it is gonna be enough.  Measuring with tape, seems to be about 40-3/4". So probly a 40 or 41 length. Anyone know of way to use the MTD number to get size or have info any other way?  Any owner's of similar model that know of size used? 

• EricFromPa said thank you

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 05:36 PM

OK, went to MTD site and after many attempts to put in model numbers and parts numbers, finally found way to get in by brand and year and six other catagories!  Man that site is hard to find stuff on!  Anyway, they list that MTD part number as a 1/2" x 41" so I'm  happy now. Local store has one, will try it tomorrow.  Thanks, for the help!  :(  :rolling:

• EricFromPa and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 06:02 PM

Glad we could help!

• EricFromPa said thank you

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 06:05 PM

Just stuck a set of Industrial grade 3V335 belts on my 960.Boy oh boy do they grab hard.I thought that the Kevlar Husky belts grabbed pretty hard but they're not even close.I would highly recommend Industrial grade V-belts.

This is the guy I got my set off of.They are really really good belts and very cheap.http://www.ebay.com/...=item23127cd617

Edited by EricFromPa, May 09, 2013 - 06:07 PM.

• Arti and VTXrider have said thanks

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 08:23 PM

Here is a link, to help with belt length calculation. It works.

http://www.culvermot...elt-Length.html

• EricFromPa and Arti have said thanks

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 11:24 PM

Here is a link, to help with belt length calculation. It works.

http://www.culvermot...elt-Length.html

Oh heck no.I just use the old belt or ask for length on here or put a piece of binder twine and tie the ends together.That math stuff hurts my brain. :poke:

Edited by EricFromPa, May 09, 2013 - 11:25 PM.

• VTXrider said thank you

#7 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 03:08 PM

Just stuck a set of Industrial grade 3V335 belts on my 960.Boy oh boy do they grab hard.I thought that the Kevlar Husky belts grabbed pretty hard but they're not even close.I would highly recommend Industrial grade V-belts.

This is the guy I got my set off of.They are really really good belts and very cheap.http://www.ebay.com/...=item23127cd617

Thanks for the tip Eric.

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 10:48 AM

OK, went to lawn garden shop, they had orig belt, not much diff than what I had. Took it home and installed. Found the tensioner needed more movement, some oil and wiggling, belt was probly OK as it was?  Sheesh!  Then tried it and kept jumping off the bottom pulley. Now figured you need the whole cover on to keep it on, it has belt guide pins in it for that. Cover on. I finally got it to engage, really slowly, then engine dies down to slow speed, can't hardly run the deck. No power to drive tractor. This engine has problems with carb and choke, so will be digging into that next. Might pull deck and lube and free-up any problems if any. This tractor has been starting/running better with gas cleaners in it, but still not right, so carb is coming off to check/build. I DO have it running w/out needing the choke on full time now, just gotta move throttle slow to get there.

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 02:28 AM

Might want to check the fuel line and tank petcock for blockage.Had to deal with that yesterday on my big Snapper.I have no idea how it got there but grass plugged up the petcock and fuel filter.

I took the carb apart and blew it out but it was clean,same thing with the fuel pump,nice and clean and the diaphragms are both still soft.

Runs very very well now.

If the diaphragms are soft after they are taken out and allowed to air dry they're still good,but if they get Stiff like a piece of paper then they need replaced.    

#10 BGardner64 OFFLINE  

BGardner64
  • Member No: 45881
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 04:18 PM

I know this comes a little late to the party but I have always had success with aftermarket parts.  Take it somewhere and get the measurements and look for the same belt that they would sell you online.  you may have to pay shiping but they are the same belts for a great price.  I'm not going to suggest anyone but there are some good suppliers out there.