Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Do you still use a tiller after turning the soil?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 17, 2010 - 07:43 PM

I am guessing you would almost have to because of how clumpy the soil would be but then I can't see a one bottom plow with a garden tractor turning over a whole lot of soil at one shot without doing multiple passes.

I know you don't want to go the same direction every year with a bottom plow because eventually the dirt will move and either create a belly or mound depending on the direction you always went.

Just trying to get some ideas on what I need to get because I would like to try my hand at gardening this year or at least start it and maybe plant the following year.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted February 17, 2010 - 08:01 PM

I dont have a plow. I just use the tiller on my Bolens. To first break up the soil I use the 25'' tiller, then for cultivating I put on the 33'' to cover the wheel marks.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 17, 2010 - 08:02 PM

So it is alright to just use a tiller on never turned ground?

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted February 17, 2010 - 08:31 PM

It takes multiple passes, but Thats how I have always started a garden

#5 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted February 17, 2010 - 09:06 PM

Depends on how hard the soil is...if its too hard, it beats the heck out of the tiller....Probably why Bolens1000 goes narrower first.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted February 17, 2010 - 09:21 PM

Depends on how hard the soil is...if its too hard, it beats the heck out of the tiller....Probably why Bolens1000 goes narrower first.

:ditto:
I forgot to add that if you got hard rocky soil. It will be tough going.
Thanks for adding that info poncho62

#7 pulltilbroke OFFLINE  

pulltilbroke

MMMMmmmm DIESEL

• Contributor
  • Member No: 50
  • 469 Thanks
  • 454 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 01:11 AM

I've noticed when tilling unbroken ground with the Big Ten the tiller will want to push the tractor too but I'm running a 38"er, next year the tiller will be on the 920

#8 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 11:22 AM

If you are breaking up sod, it can be a tough job for a tiller. Like Bolens 1000 said, make multiple passes. One of the best ways is to, plow in the fall, till in the spring. That's what the farmers do. The freezing/thawing process, during the winter, makes the clumps of soil break down.

#9 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 12:20 PM

Last year was my first year for a garden. I started with a bottom plow to break through the sod and loosen things up. Then, I mounted the tiller to really break up into something useable. It worked well, and my freshly turned soil did well for a first year garden. I turned it under with the plow last fall. I'm not sure whether I should start with the plow again this year, or go straight for the tiller?

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 12:23 PM

Much better to turn plow 1st, but as said, the tiller can do sod outright. I always turn plow mine first, but then I love to plow! When I go to till, it's lots easier on the tiller though for sure.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 12:27 PM

Last year was my first year for a garden. I started with a bottom plow to break through the sod and loosen things up. Then, I mounted the tiller to really break up into something useable. It worked well, and my freshly turned soil did well for a first year garden. I turned it under with the plow last fall. I'm not sure whether I should start with the plow again this year, or go straight for the tiller?

I remember the pictures you had tilling with the 12, I want a one bottom just to plow with because I would so enjoy it. I would have to find a tiller though.

#12 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 01:45 PM

I remember the pictures you had tilling with the 12, I want a one bottom just to plow with because I would so enjoy it. I would have to find a tiller though.

Not an easy find for the 10/12's. I was looking for a couple of years before I found one that was complete.
Good Luck

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 02:19 PM

That is where I screwed up big time, there was a snow blower and tiller complete sitting not even two blocks away. Didn't have the money at the time so i never tried to make an offer with the guy. Here we finally stopped in and he said he had just given the stuff to the junk man a couple weeks ago. I guess I deserve it for procrastinating about it. Another life lesson learned the hard way LOL

#14 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 09, 2010 - 11:02 PM

That is where I screwed up big time, there was a snow blower and tiller complete sitting not even two blocks away. Didn't have the money at the time so i never tried to make an offer with the guy. Here we finally stopped in and he said he had just given the stuff to the junk man a couple weeks ago. I guess I deserve it for procrastinating about it. Another life lesson learned the hard way LOL

I see people make that mistake all too often. Even if I cant buy, I always take the time to shoot the breeze and find out their story, or about the equipment. I've had people give me lots of stuff. I visit this old WWII veteren every so often, the guy was there for D-Day and the Battle of the Bulge, it gives me goosebumps, just hearing the stories. He tries to give me stuff all the time, I wont take it, it's a privledge just to sit in his company. I've been driving around lots of times and see a yard sale or garage sale and strike up a conversation with the people about some old brick-a-brat stuff, next thing ya know, I'm loaded down.

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 12, 2010 - 04:20 PM

I really need to find a tiller, I also want a bottom plow, I know I would really enjoy plowing a garden twice a year. With us renting right now there is that fine line of whether I could get away with it or not but we are in the process of finding a place and if all works well we will have plenty of ground to have a garden and enough storage for plenty more tractors :D