4 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchel OFFLINE  

Mitchel
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 19972
  • 5 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 05:02 PM

hey everyone havent posted in a loong time but i have an idea and could use some help. i built a trailer a while ago that steers like a tiller trailer on fire trucks. and i want to build a mini ex to put on the reailer because i love running the ex. i dont want tracks just something i can keep on the trailer and dig a couple holes. i was wondering what kind of hydraulics, rams, motors pumps ect to use. i want to be able to dig a 4 foot deep hole and store it on the trailer. ill go take some pictures of the trailer later for reference. thanks guys

• larryd said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 06:13 PM

Mitchell, there are towable backhoes for sale these days that would give you some ideas for how to set up something like that. Do a search and you should come up with lots of pictures and sales info. 

• larryd said thank you

#3 Mitchel OFFLINE  

Mitchel
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 19972
  • 5 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 06:16 PM

i have looked up the pictures and stuff but you gotta buy the plans and all that. i can get all the metal and things ill need but i need to know that kind of rams i should use and pumps. id love joystick controls too but have no idea how to set them up. and would a 7 horse be powerful enough to run the pump?

• larryd said thank you

#4 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 09:26 AM

The power required to run the pump depends on the size of the pump which depends on the cylinders and the amount of speed and force you want which is affected greatly by the amount of leverage you design into the arm and cylinder mounting and of course the cylinder bore and rod size.... the list goes on and on which is why a set of reputable plans are so nice to have.

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 07:42 AM

With hydraulics, there are two basic things to remember, the pump PSI determines how strong the system is, and the GPM is how fast the system is. If your PSI is to low the system will be weak, and not do what it was designed for. If the GPM is to low the system will operate slowly.