17 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 11:05 PM

There are pretty much two brands of tools that one would need. Mac or Snapon. I'm fortunate to have all the tool trucks come to work. I bought my first Snapon tool several years ago. The same guy is still the local Snapon guy. Anywho I was talking with him last week about upgrading some of my tools. He mentioned he just repoed a box and I should come buy and see if there was anything I needed. I stoped by his house on the way home as he lives close. The good thing about spending thousands and thousands with one tool guy is the fact that no matter what time of day I need something he's there. He's willing to open the truck 24/7/365. This batch was about 3200$ I think. I gave around 2000$ for it.

Every time I open the front door he's there. Welcome to black eye. He's my bottle baby in which I will be eating in 18 months.

The geese. I've had every fowl and poultry at one time or another. Last spring I got a call from a lady who watched a dog kill a goose by her house. When she went to investigate there were 5 young goslings. Since I don't have a permit there isn't a lot I could do. I did take them and nurse them but never caged them. As they got older and feathered out I dumped them at local ponds. The next daythey would be back in the yard. The sense of direction on these things is crazy. Fast forward to fall I only had two left and the migrated. I've seen two geese fly by the last month or so. I heard it again today and I yelled to them. They buzzed my truck. I know it was them as one has a messed up wing. They haven't landed in the yard but are bouncing between mine and the neighbors ponds. Just thought it was interesting.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1368071339326.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368071362398.jpg

• Alc, boyscout862, twostep and 3 others have said thanks

#2 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 12:57 AM

If a tool company ever made jewelry, Snapon would be the one. Beautiful tools to use and look at. About your geese, Olde Deere #2 raised 8 young mallards  last fall , their mother went through the haybine in late July. They were too young to go when the wild birds left so they've been living the good life in the hen house all winter.( yeah, it's against the law up here too, you're supposed to let them die in the field or hope a fox finds them and makes it a quick ending). Anyhow, we're hoping they take off when the wild birds come to the pond next to the barnyard. Their pen is open and they have been making practice flights already.

• larryd said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 05:43 AM

Nice to be able to afford those Snap-On tools  , I have some at work ( co tools not mine lol )  and yes  there is a difference , the fit over nuts, very strong , you don't seen to round over nut and bolt heads sockets well made too

#4 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 06:11 AM

I wish I could buy them out right. I hate having a weekly payment. But it's something I need. Your right about not rounding off bolts...that's the main reason I have them.

#5 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 07:35 AM

nice tools u got there. and birds r nutz, I got a friend with ducks and one with pigons and they have a crazy sense of direction

#6 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 08:30 AM

If I was turning wrenches for a living or hit the lottery it would be all Snap-on too :D

P.S. one of my best friends is a corporate mechanic, most guys would die for his home garage which is stocked with all snap on and Mac tools, along with the two post lift and the 16' ceiling. I'm lucky as I have a key and can use it anytime I want. :thumbs:

• Team_Green said thank you

#7 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 08:34 AM

I love your bottle baby... Very cute.. Dang cows are my favorite animal right behind a good dog. 

As for tools that is a nice collection... 

#8 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 08:35 AM

If I was turning wrenches for a living or hit the lottery it would be all Snap-on too :D

P.S. one of my best friends is a corporate mechanic, most guys would die for his home garage which is stocked with all snap on and Mac tools, along with the two post lift and the 16' ceiling. I'm lucky as I have a key and can use it anytime I want. :thumbs:

John.. is there a tool your buddy doesnt have that you could use.. leave a gift card for 20 bucks and a hint hint note hahahahaha

• John@Reliable said thank you

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 08:40 AM

Snapon tools are sure top of the line, but I can replace the occasional rounded nut for just a few cents.  My tools are mostly Craftsman, with a Snapon here & there.  Most anything that gets rounded here is due to the nut rusting away to where even a Snapon can't fit.  

BUT, if wrenching every day for a living, the comfort of the Snapon tools would be a big plus for sure.

Calf is cute, but it'll taste even better!  I gotta say though, I get more than my fill of cows!  If I ever were to be able to retire, cows would not be a part of it!

#10 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 10:31 AM

I find that people who go on and on about how wonderful Snap-On tools are seem to be trying to justify the amount of money they spent. IF you can't fix it with a $2 wrench from the flea market you won't know how to fix it with a $100 tool off a truck. The tools you use don't make you any more able to work. It just makes you feel superior. And, yes, I have Snap-on and Mac mixed right in with my Craftsman tools.

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 10:41 AM

I know that my Brother and ne of the wife's uncles bot made their living turning wrenches. and swear by their Snap On tools.

I have seen many times I had something that I could not turn and their tools took them right off.

I can't justify them but they are the best in my opinion.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 10:43 AM

I hope the geese don't get you in trouble with the Moonicipal bylaw officer!  I occasionally find Mac or Snap On tools at yard sales.  I bought a MAC compression tester from a retired mechanic last year at his yard sale. I payed a bit more than the cheapy ones but I trust it's accuracy. It also had a lot of adapters with it. The real value of those tools is that they are not going to be the limiting factor when you are working. A tool that lets you down on a job or slows you down is more expensive than a Snap On would be.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#13 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 10:45 AM

I said the same thing until when I started mechanicaning full time years ago the difference was noticeable. There is no way to justify the cost. They are over priced.

It sucks rounding off a specialty bolt I have to special order and wait two days to get one in. Regular bolts it's no biggie.

#14 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 02:02 PM

I find that people who go on and on about how wonderful Snap-On tools are seem to be trying to justify the amount of money they spent. IF you can't fix it with a $2 wrench from the flea market you won't know how to fix it with a $100 tool off a truck. The tools you use don't make you any more able to work. It just makes you feel superior. And, yes, I have Snap-on and Mac mixed right in with my Craftsman tools.

Sorry, but I think there are some half truths in your statement.

True that a tool can't make you smarter, but a good tool can make you work better. In my trade cheap tools cost me money with less production of my time ( which is valuable, not only to me but my customer too). I've broken cheap tools before like a 3' pipe wrench, end of work until a replacement is located. Cheap tools are ok for limited use, but good tools last a life time. When I first started and money was tight I brought cheap, burnt out a few hammer drills on one of my first jobs. After that job I had some money to invest in good tools, got a Hilti drill that at the time was 10 times more than what I payed for the cheap ones, 20 years latter I still use it.  I had some water pump pliers made by Knipex which cost 100 bucks a pair, and let me tell you there is a difference. :thumbs:  (P.S. pliers were stolen, on a job) :mad2:  

• twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 02:39 PM

I had some water pump pliers made by Knipex which cost 100 bucks a pair, and let me tell you there is a difference. :thumbs:  (P.S. pliers were stolen, on a job) :mad2:  

Cheaper pliers may not have been stolen!  :smilewink:   As for electrical power tools, yes, there is a major difference for dang sure!  And with pliers just as you said.  Cheap pliers & pipe wrenches teeth will round off after a time, while the high dollar ones retain their edges.  I've got cheaper & higher end pipe wrenches, and I use cheater bars many times & have yet to break one, but I'd say I've been lucky. 

• oldedeeres said thank you