12 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 08:16 PM

As much as I am not fond of Best Buy, I have just earned a $350 gift card as a sales bonus at work.. free is always good!

I would like to get a decent digital camera. Any reccomendations?

What are you using?

#2 WHdbJD ONLINE  

WHdbJD

• Member No: 8367
  • 580 Thanks
  • 451 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Canon....PowerShot A520

Its an older model, but it has served me well

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 08:44 PM

I prefer any of the Canon digital elph series.  

Congratulations on the gift card.

Edited by daytime dave, May 08, 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Canon....PowerShot A520

Its an older model, but it has served me well

DITTO!

I had a few digital cameras and you click the button and it took a second or two for the picture to be taken..  The Power-shot takes the picture instantly..  I bought a power-shot SX-150 and it takes great pictures @ 14MP..  The 520- WHdb has above is a lot older than mine but mine is a nice personal camera..  I was thinking about the SX-350 18MP for the better optical zoom but I opted to keep the $180 price difference in my pocket.  As far as posting pictures in here I reduce the picture size by 70% or they won't fit..  Happy shopping! :thumbs:

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, May 08, 2013 - 08:54 PM.

• Alc and JD DANNELS have said thanks

#5 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,397 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 09:35 PM

what you you going to take pictures of?

Pictures for this site or pictures in general?

when you take pictures for this site you do not need a high pixel setting camera

higher the pixels the larger the size of the picture takes for storage and uploading

I have used my daughter Canon high end camera (18 megapixel), 3 years old now and had to crop the picture to to post them here, so that they well upload and post

I use her old Canon 6 megapixel camera and I do not have to crop the pictures to post

her old camera still does take good pictures, but it does not had the available to use different lenses

if you need a good camera and don't like BestBuy -  you can go to a good camera store and get and good camera there.

They will try to get the camera best for for needs

then you can buy something else at Bestbuy that you want or need

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 05:00 AM

Canon or Nikon. They are Camera companies and seem to deliver better performance from what I've seen. Some of the latest models have some nice features like a wireless download capability for transferring photos to your computer. This to me is a great feature as you don't have to mess with cables, card readers and memory cards.

#7 motobreeder ONLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 07:15 AM

I'm not an expert, but with your budget, my opinion are Nikon, Cannon.  Very good optics and well built.

You may be close to the price of a "pro-sumer" (semi pro or higher-end consumer) Cannon model.

Many of the other brands have cheaper parts - e.g. battery covers that fail.

Many years ago, I wanted a camera (film days) for a vacation and an enthusiast told me to get a point-n-shoot with as much zoom as I can afford.  That advice continues to work for me with the digital cameras (ignore the digital zoom - you can do that on the computer).

Also, get a high-performance memory card.  The worst problem is having to wait between pictures.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 09:10 AM

Yes I am just wanting a more compact camera for general shots around the place and  snaps in general. I am sure with a new Great Grandaughter around the wife will want more pictures.

The IPad does alright but is too big to carry around. If I am at the far end of my place and want to take a shot of something, I want to be able to jump off the tractor, pull the camera off my belt and do it,not go back to the house for  my Ipad.

I would like a good macro feature so I can identify Bugs in the garden, take close up shots of plants, to identify weeds, Or in the off chance I grow something nice, I can show off a bit(Character Flaw? :wave: ) or if I need technical help on one of my tractors(a picture is worth a thousand words etc.

I'm not planning to print poster size shots so don't need a high Mega-Pixtel count. I think a quality camera with 10 Mega Pixtels would be more than sufficent for my use.  I kind of think the High pixtel count has turned into a Horespower Race and Marketing Gimic?

It's good to hear most of you are very happy with your Canon Camera, because that is the direction I was leaning.

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 09, 2013 - 09:20 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#9 motobreeder ONLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 01:18 PM

You know you could have led with that. :rolling:

Get enough zoom and you won't need to leave the seat to get a close-up of that unidentified bug.

A detail my old camera lacks is the ability to zoom while recording video.  If you are recording a soccer game and want to zoom in on your g-g-daughter's game-winning grin, then you would wish you didn't have to pause the recording to zoom in.  Not necessarily a requirement, but a final point to choose between two cameras that were otherwise equal.

When pixel counts were 1M to 5M pixels, there was a big difference.  But now I agree, it's more for marketing.  All are over 10M pixels - more than enough.

If you have $s left over, get a good quality memory card.  Look for "class 10".  Poking around the internet, SanDisk looks like a safe bet.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 01:36 PM

You know you could have led with that. :rolling:

Get enough zoom and you won't need to leave the seat to get a close-up of that unidentified bug.

A detail my old camera lacks is the ability to zoom while recording video.  If you are recording a soccer game and want to zoom in on your g-g-daughter's game-winning grin, then you would wish you didn't have to pause the recording to zoom in.  Not necessarily a requirement, but a final point to choose between two cameras that were otherwise equal.

When pixel counts were 1M to 5M pixels, there was a big difference.  But now I agree, it's more for marketing.  All are over 10M pixels - more than enough.

If you have $s left over, get a good quality memory card.  Look for "class 10".  Poking around the internet, SanDisk looks like a safe bet.

Let me rephrase your opening statement "I should have led with that". Thanks to Lyall's Questions we finally got to it!.

great grand daughter was born April 16th so it will be a bit before I'm going to her soccer games?

I'm still debating on where to go with this. Not sure to blow the whole wad on a Camera or drop down a model or two and buy extra   Memory cards and a spare battery pack. Reviews I have found , a lot of the newer units are using enough power, people complain abot limiting the number of shots before recharge. The Elph 520 HS was one where I saw those comments.

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 09, 2013 - 01:43 PM.

• motobreeder said thank you

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 05:34 PM

I've had a lot of different cameras, used a few from my friends.

Opinions, I liked the canon I used, also the Minolta and Nikon were /are both great for all around (the Nikon is smaller and better)

For the love of Pete, stay away from GE. That is the worst disappointment of a camera I've ever owned.

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 08:33 PM

DITTO!

I had a few digital cameras and you click the button and it took a second or two for the picture to be taken..  The Power-shot takes the picture instantly..  I bought a power-shot SX-150 and it takes great pictures @ 14MP..  The 520- WHdb has above is a lot older than mine but mine is a nice personal camera..  I was thinking about the SX-350 18MP for the better optical zoom but I opted to keep the $180 price difference in my pocket.  As far as posting pictures in here I reduce the picture size by 70% or they won't fit..  Happy shopping! :thumbs:

I am assuming the SX160 is the model that followed the 150? That is one I have been looking at closely.
I liked the fact it has a manual setting so you can monkey around with f stops, shutter speeds and focus. I bet i could mess up a lot of pictures that way.
  • KennyP and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 07:06 AM

Be sure to let us know which you get. I am thinking of upgrading my camera, just haven't seen enough of what others have and how they are liking them.