FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 25, 2010 - 06:36 PM

How hated would I be in the Massey community if I took that tin cover that is only on the hydro's (in front of the seat) and say... french welded in a length of pipe, cut to match the profile, in order to create a cup holder? :smilewink:

I was looking at it while I had it off, and it's pretty much empty under there. If I used some pipe that would be about the size of your typical cup holder and capped the end, then drilled a couple drain holes, I could weld it into the pan on the bottom side. Then the pipe would be cut and ground flush to the shape of the shield and welded on the top side, again, being ground flush. It's not something that could not be undone easy enough, and it would be really handy. So what do you think? Should I go for it or not?
:anyone:

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted October 25, 2010 - 06:57 PM

I grabbed the container that my "mowing beverage of choice" :give_me_beer: comes in & the can measures 2.5 inches across. I measured the cup holder on my GT5000 & it's 3.5" wide x 3.75" deep. Hope that helps. :D

#3 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted October 25, 2010 - 09:17 PM

jealousy....10

#4 justwalt OFFLINE  

justwalt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1318
  • 4 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted October 25, 2010 - 09:26 PM

don't forget a drainage hole in your cup holder.

walt

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 04:38 AM

I guess what ever you want to do with it,it's yours.

#6 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 06:48 AM

It all depends on what you are looking for. A true resto? Then no way. A restored tractor that you enjoy? Then why not?

I'm a deer hunter. I like to track or still hunt when theres no snow. To make my rifle "better" I had the barrel cut down to carbine length and the reciever drilled and tapped to accept a reciever sight. That's my foul weather gun. My other scoped rifle is cut down the same way and also has a painting on the stock of a 14 point buck I shot back in 2004. People have told me that I "ruined" these guns because they are not "factory" anymore. They are correct in that statement, but they are still beautiful to look at, and because of the faster handling the carbine length gives me, they perform better for my particular needs. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!

#7 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 08:03 AM

As has been said that if you are doung a true factory restoration then I would asy don't do it. On the other hand if you are fixing it up as a user tractor I say go a head and make any changes you want to make it fit your needs better. As a worker tractor it is a tool that you are using and any thing you do to make it more user friendly makes it more valuable to you.

#8 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 08:34 AM

It will be a resto in a way, but I do not mind improvements as long as they are not something that can never be "un-done" An hour or so with a welder and paint work, and the cup holder is gone. It's like when I cut down the front wheels on my 12G and narrowed them for the tri-ribs. If I wanted to just put new rims on, it has been put back to stock. It takes me about 2 hours to mow, so having a bottle of water on hand is nice. I figure if I do this, it will look all but fully original and much better than something stuck on the fender. But the simple replacement of that one panel, or repairing the hole will fix it for good.

I think I am going to do it... I am thinking that one of the exhaust pipe female connectors may be perfect. They should have a pressed ring on the center of the pipe that will work to keep the water bottle off the edges and may cut down on paint wear.

#9 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 05:34 PM

I say go for it, my water never seems to stay in the floor area on my tractors long, and upgrading to a 2 liter bottle didnt help.

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 07:57 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it. Like has already been said. I think the other factor though is in the approach and how you pull it off and how it turns out. When it is done right it doesn't matter.

#11 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 08:03 PM

Go for it.

#12 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted October 27, 2010 - 09:05 AM

When it is done right it doesn't matter.

I haven't been here long, buit from what I've seen from his welding on his other projects, we shouldn't have much to worry about. I'm thinking it's going to look like a factory piece when it's done! :thumbs: