4 replies to this topic

#1 LStrodtman OFFLINE  

LStrodtman

• Member No: 349
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 04:43 PM

Hello, all
I have been scouring the internet for a couple weeks now looking for lawnmower blades for what I do believe is a Gilson C14 (just learned the model today, thanks to the fine pictures posted on GTtalk!)  From the manuals, I see the Gilson part numbers are 9987, and 9986.  Do any of you have a source for blades that 'will work'?  I can do some basic modifications if needed.

Thanks in advance for any tips you all may have in tracking these down!

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 06:15 PM

Welcome to GTTalk!

Did you try Ray's Mower Shop? Last I called, they had one of the best selections of mower parts.  (610) 367-2078

Ben W.

• LStrodtman said thank you

#3 LStrodtman OFFLINE  

LStrodtman

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 10:09 AM

Thank you for the tip, I'll certainly give them a call as used blades are better than none at all!
If anyone else out there is mowing with a 38" deck on a C14 Gilson (or equivalent) I'd like to know what you're using for blades.
I rebuilt the carburetor two nights ago and have a sediment bowl on the way, so I'm really getting excited to use the tractor!  It'd be nice if I could mow with it since I have no other implements :-(

#4 LStrodtman OFFLINE  

LStrodtman

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 01:56 PM

I ordered a set of blades for a Honda 4514.  They don't have the 1/2" offset of the Gilson blades, so I may need to fab up some adapters.  I'll document here how this all plays out.  Blades should be delivered tomorrow, hopefully I can mess with them over the weekend.  My sediment bowl and screen showed up yesterday so tonight's goal is to get that on and reinstall the gas tank.  One of these days, I may actually get to mow grass!

#5 LStrodtman OFFLINE  

LStrodtman

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 02:55 PM

Well, I got the blades but as I'm sure you all know I'm just dumb.  The previous owner had installed two right hand angle drives and somehow was able to come up with a matched set of blades, one turning CW, the other CCW.  I was under the impression that a RH cover plate was installed on the LH drive, but no!  I've now installed a LH angle drive and hope to obtain the proper sintered-metal blade adapters and blades.  This all became abundantly clear after obtaining a Sears Custom 10 XL a couple weeks ago, with its factory mower deck!  Of course, the blades on the Sears are also complete junk, so TWO sets of Oregon 95-013 blades will be ordered upon my return from a little vacation to CO.  For anyone stumbling upon this in a future web search, the adapter part number from Oregon is 65-233, and as of this writing they are ~$4-5 plus shipping from most online retailers.