Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Cub Cadet 102... Wiring Issue?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 33704
  • 167 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 05:35 AM

Hey guys! I was just working on my old Cub 102, and I got her to run. But, the coil gets REALLY hot, and I just drove her like a few feet, and she died. It doesn't smoke, but I think the carb is a little iffy still on her. But, the wire going from the coil to the points is pretty bad, and the negative termenle  and looks like its melted a little. I say it would need to be re-wired. What do you guys think? Thanks Ian!  

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 3,649 Thanks
  • 2,180 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 05:48 AM

Sounds like either the points are grounding out or the condenser is FUBAR..  

Unhook the Coil's - (negative) wire and separate the condenser from the points wiire.  

Test the points wire to Ground or the engine block with a continuity tester or OHM meter.  Rotate the engine slowly with the key OFF and it should be totally open or no continuity when the points are open.  If they are always grounded the points or wiring is your problem.  Repair or replace.

If everything is OK with them check your condenser with an OHM meter..  It should start with continuity then it should fade off (I believe-  not sure-  it's been a while)  I'm sure someone else will straighten me out.  

If life is OK there check the Positive voltage supplied to the Coil's (+) terminal to ensure it's not overcharging the battery and is over ~14 V DC..

Hope this helps!  

• IlovemyCub said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 11,778 Thanks
  • 25,229 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 06:25 AM

If that coil is getting real hot, it's probably time for a replacement. Checking everything else would pin it down, for sure. But it sounds to me like the coil is the main culprit here. Got another coil you could swap in to be sure?

#4 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,036 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 06:32 AM

I suspect that the coil isn't the correct one. 

Some coils need an external resistor, it would be simpler to find a good 12v coil and replace it.

#5 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 210 Thanks
  • 361 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 07:29 AM

Check to see how many volts is at the wire going to the coil. If the voltage is way too much a new coil could get burnt also.

Then your trouble is that the regulator isn't working.

#6 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 328 Thanks
  • 246 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 11:19 AM

I agree with Arti . If its got the wrong coil it will run great for a while , but won't last very long and the coil  will get hotter than .....heck .

I'm speaking from experience as I had a 104 once that had the wrong coil on it when I bought it .

Edited by Jlaws, May 08, 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#7 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • 167 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 01:59 PM

Sounds like either the points are grounding out or the condenser is FUBAR..  

Unhook the Coil's - (negative) wire and separate the condenser from the points wiire.  

Test the points wire to Ground or the engine block with a continuity tester or OHM meter.  Rotate the engine slowly with the key OFF and it should be totally open or no continuity when the points are open.  If they are always grounded the points or wiring is your problem.  Repair or replace.

If everything is OK with them check your condenser with an OHM meter..  It should start with continuity then it should fade off (I believe-  not sure-  it's been a while)  I'm sure someone else will straighten me out.  

If life is OK there check the Positive voltage supplied to the Coil's (+) terminal to ensure it's not overcharging the battery and is over ~14 V DC..

Hope this helps!  

Thanks for the help! I took a muiltimeter and I checked if the battery was charging, and it is. The points seem to fine and gapped correctly, but will check! I would say its the coil,but will do some test! Thank you again!!! Ian. 

#8 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • 167 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 02:00 PM

If that coil is getting real hot, it's probably time for a replacement. Checking everything else would pin it down, for sure. But it sounds to me like the coil is the main culprit here. Got another coil you could swap in to be sure?

Will do some test and swap coils and check! Thanks! Ian 

#9 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • 167 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 02:01 PM

I suspect that the coil isn't the correct one. 

Some coils need an external resistor, it would be simpler to find a good 12v coil and replace it.

Yeah, I don't think its the right coil either. Thanks!! Ian.  

#10 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • 167 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 02:03 PM

Check to see how many volts is at the wire going to the coil. If the voltage is way too much a new coil could get burnt also.

Then your trouble is that the regulator isn't working.

I did whip out my muiltimeter when it was running, and the battery is charging. I know its not the voltage regulator. I may need to replace the coil. Thanks!! Ian. 

#11 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • 167 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 02:04 PM

I agree with Arti . If its got the wrong coil it will run great for a while , but won't last very long and the coil  will get hotter than .....heck .

I'm speaking from experience as I had a 104 once that had the wrong coil on it when I bought it .

I agree too, and plus I took my Cub 122 out, and towed it to the shop and I felt my coil and it wasn't hot at all. I will check the coil. Thanks for the help!! Ian.