• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 01:33 AM

As i normally only collect walk-behind tractor i need some info on this model of Bolens. I found one for sale, but it has a cylinder head problem. Not sure the details of this yet. Owner says it a hydro, and has hydrolics, and the deck lift is also. Tractor look pretty clean other than the head problem. Is this tractor worth spending any money on? Are heads hard to find. I beleive he told me it was over haed valve? Would there be any other engine that would fit into it easy? Like i said dont know much about this type of tractor, so any input would be good.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 06:13 AM

The H14 is one of the later Tubeframes (1974-1976)

They were a great tractor but I never really was a fan of the Tecumseh engines they had.

I think you could still find parts if need be.

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 06:38 AM

I agree with Bolens 1000. The problem is that parts for the engines are expensive. When running, you really can't stop them and the hydraulics make them so easy to use. I have one that hasn't run in years. It with deck, snow plow, garden plow, manuals, chains and tiller was given to me. I was delivering a loaner tool to a friend when I noticed the H14 with heavy weeds around it in the middle of their yard. I asked what is the matter and the wife said "take it, we can't even move it because it is too heavy". They were both very happy when I took all that "junk" away. Unfortunately, It has been a low priority on my restoration list.  

Before making an offer check with our sponsors for availability and cost of the missing parts. It is overhead valves and may be very expensive. The ignition system can be an expensive pain too. If you decide to repower it please let us know how it is going. I've thought of putting a diesel on mine. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, May 08, 2013 - 07:12 AM.

#4 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 02:41 PM

Would there be any other engine that would fit into it easy?

I can't offer any info on the Tecumseh, Jeff, but a Wisconsin TR-10, TRA-10D, or TRA-12D from a different model Bolens tube-frame should be a direct bolt-in.

Wisconsin engine parts certainly aren't cheap, but I always thought they were a better engine than the Tecumseh.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#5 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 08:55 PM

If it has the HH or OH series Tecumseh engine, from what I have seen myself and heard from others, they are notorious for dropping the exhaust valve guide, frequently ruining the head in the process.

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 01:18 AM

Thanks for the imput so far. I was looking at this tractor mostly as a cheap way to power my 3pt roto spader. Since the tiller unit has its own engine, all the tractor would to do is move forwards and back. I was thinking that the hydro parts of this would be great and i wouldnt have to hand lift the tiller any more. Thinking about looking at a harbor freight engine of some sort, with electric start. Would  really have to be more than 8 to 10 hp to do what i need.  My other tractor choice was gong to be my MM unit, but ireally dont  want to modify it, as its worth more in collector valve than this engine damage Bolens would be. I just need something a little more modern than my 60's suburbans to move the tiller unit around.