7 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 08:12 PM

For a couple years now we have been experimenting with growing beans and Peas vertically. Mostly we do it to reduce stooping to pick, but it would help in a small garden to better use space. The last two years I used fencing  but this year went to Hog Panels which are a lot sturdier.

I drove posts about 16 ft apart. Set one panel over the post leaned the other against the post and clamped them together with hog rings(pig).

There are peas and beans planted to climb this.

Next I have two more panels and I'm going to arch them and plant cucumbers to climb them.

photo13_zps0a959855.jpg

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 07, 2013 - 08:13 PM.

• lyall and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 08:47 PM

That should work better then the nylon netting I tried ,it sagged and was hard to get the dead plants off at the end of the season

• oldedeeres said thank you

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 09:15 PM

Yes the wire I had been using was too flimsy and like you say a pain to get the dry stuff out of.
Plus a pain to roll up in the fall and unroll in the spring. these I can just pile and drag off with the tractor in the fall.
They are not cheap but should last for many years to come.
  • Alc, twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 12:33 AM

That looks like a good idea. We gave up on chicken wire after the first year and moved to stucco wire, much sturdier. Have wanted to do the arch thing for the scarlet runner beans--- I can just picture them hanging down and being easy to pick. Cukes should work well too.

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 05:09 AM

That looks like it should work pretty well.

#6 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 08:02 AM

We're going to do something similar w/ the cukes. It will just be a single panel supported by t- posts.

Mike

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 08:16 AM

That looks like a good idea. We gave up on chicken wire after the first year and moved to stucco wire, much sturdier. Have wanted to do the arch thing for the scarlet runner beans--- I can just picture them hanging down and being easy to pick. Cukes should work well too.

Well I was kind of dumb and took my 8'X5' traiier to pick these up(next time I will borrow Dad's 16 ft Trailer). The guys at the Farm Supply never even hesitated. Said they put them in 8ft Pickup boxes all the time.

They bowed the panels into an arch between the front and the tailgate. And I just strapped them in.

The wife and I got to thinking on the way home that that was a neat idea and are going to use it in the garden.

Surfing the net this is not an original idea and there are a lot of great pictures of Hog/Cattle Panels used in gardens in various ways. I will be buying more, I have to buy a little every year to build my inventory without exceeding my budget. Maybe they are not all that expensive, when you get 16' of sturdy fence for $22.95(local price, and could vary from region to region)?

Now that heavy wire arched like that is a giant spring(remember there were 6 of them) and could be a mankiller(or at least injure) if not handled with some sense.

When I got home I took the ratchet strap I had tied it in the trailer with, hooked it to the wire towards the bottom.

And tightened it down to take off some of the tension so I could hold them in the arc, while I took the tailgate out, and get them off the trailer. Then set them upright and slowly let the tention off.

Since I'll be arching them by myself I'll do the same and always stand on the off side so if something slips I'll be away from the spring..

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 08, 2013 - 09:43 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#8 Racerxxx OFFLINE  

Racerxxx
  • Member No: 22706
  • 57 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 08:34 PM

We did something simular with cattle panels and butternut and spaghetti squashes. Worked very well.

• Alc said thank you