• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 25, 2010 - 07:03 PM

My $.02, Take all the parts you need to off the '67 & fix up the '66. It was the only year they used the Alum dash & nose & also it was the 1st year they made them...

#17 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 25, 2010 - 07:23 PM

I agree, build the 66 into "the one" and then find parts to build the 67. What do you need anyway?

I know I should not say this, but let me know when you want to sell the blower, not a promise.... but just shoot me a price.

#18 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 07:29 AM

Couple of good tractors, my 66 is serial# 005183, if you check your 66 you should find also-

no center rib in the frame under the engine
cast iron steering arm
rear plate missing 2 holes for tiller bracket
pointy 0s on the amp meter

Thanks for the info! I definately have the cast steering arm, that's the one thing I noticed when I compared the two at first glance. The nose on my 66 is not aluminum however; I assume it's been replaced.

My thought, as others have suggested was to take what I need from the 67 to get the 66 all together. Would it be wrong to put the headlights on the 66; were thay an option then?

#19 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 08:11 AM

Congrats on your find! You have a good start there on making a really nice 1966. I'd agree to fix the 1966 up and then see what you need to make the 1967 a runner later. your snow blower has the earlier style hook ups that mount pretty much all right to the front of the tractor. Nice find and good luck on your project!

#20 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 08:56 AM

Head lights should be fine.... From what I understand they were an option on all the tractors. I have uploaded an early 1967 dated color sales flier here which has all the options. Keep the cutout's if you have to knock them out... They can be welded back in to a tractor that is missing them and does not get headlights put into it. I did this to my son's MF-8 when I stole the lighting kit out of it.

#21 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 09:48 AM

The 67 has the lighting kit so I wouldn't have to knock anything out, although the 66 does already have one knocked out on it's headlight panel...kind of winking like your "new" hydro!:smilewink:

#22 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 04:49 PM

Which one has the best hood? IMHO, and some may not agree with me... but I am not agaisnt swapping out things between years like a hood as long as it's the same exact part. Now if you wanted to build the 66 on a newer frame, that did not have the center rib for example... I think that is a no-no because that is something that you can tell has been changed. However, if it's tin parts that are exactly the same in every manner... I am fine with swapping out damaged parts on a rebuild.

That said, the parts have to come off anyway... so while trying to use as much as you can from the 66, build it with the best parts. For example.... The hood on my hydro has a hole in it, and really needs the headlight bracket replaced. I can fill the hole with a patch and you will never know it was there but it will be very hard for me to replace the mounting panel so you can not tell. I "could" and "may" do it in a way that you can not tell... I would need to cut apart the hood and grind off the hood from the bracket, and not drill out the welds. Then I need to get someone to use one of those electric spot welders to weld it like factory. I may do that anyway, but if the welds were drilled out, and the new one mig welded in place... you could tell it was replaced or at least repaired.

Huh... Sorry, I really get going at times! I had to look back to see what the heck my point was! And that was, as long as the parts are the same... use the best you have on the best tractor. When I do my hydro, which is planned to be my "No.1" tractor, I will use the hood off the 12G on it and not look back.

PS, if you are in need of one of those headlight block out's so that you can have the hood complete, I have an extra that you can have.

#23 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the info! I definately have the cast steering arm, that's the one thing I noticed when I compared the two at first glance. The nose on my 66 is not aluminum however; I assume it's been replaced.

My thought, as others have suggested was to take what I need from the 67 to get the 66 all together. Would it be wrong to put the headlights on the 66; were thay an option then?

My 66- http://www.gttalk.co.../1966-mf10-298/ -is a combination of parts from other tractors.
What I did was try to keep the unique 66 parts and features but for parts that are the same or very similar I used the best pieces I had. Parts not original to it-
- Hood is off a MF12Hydra
- Tool box off a later model???
- Right side fender guard of later model
- Lift arm and rear lift off later model
- Seat frame off 67MF12Hydra (med back, didn't have a good solid low back frame at the time)
- Seat cushions custom made to fit
- Light kit off later model
- Steering wheel off of??? but it's all I had that fits
- Grill off later model still the early design though
- Carburetor off later model
- Transmission off later model but has the 66 style brake on it
- Front tires are wheel barrow tires mounted in the factory narrow rims
- Muffler aftermarket
- + lots of little parts

The engine in this tractor has a knock in it, I have another HH100 short block replacement engine that runs good and does not knock but I will not switch them as the one in my 66 is an original and that difference is noticeable. I will either rebuild the one I have or switch all the internals to get a good running original engine.

If you look at the pictures some of these parts you can see some you can't and would never know.
Is it a restoration NO but it is a working tractor that has the main 66 features.

#24 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted October 27, 2010 - 09:22 AM

My original pictures on the trailer didn't show all the stuff that came with the 66 very well. The two pictures below show the 67 and the 66 "palletized". I have forks for "Fergy" so I like to palletized stuff for easier moving/storing. When I get ready to begin disassembly, I will haul these back down to the barn.

The 66 has a hood with one headlight hole knocked out. The nose peice on the 66 is plastic and all broken up. I am going to try to find the correct aluminum nose piece to go along with the dash. The sheet metal, overall is better on the 67 and the motor in it is complete. The RH "leg shield" is missing on the 67 but I found both sheilds for the 66 in the tool box. The 67 has a useable but aftermarket seat where the 66 has trashed seat cushion but an original seat pan.

My thought was, and please advise, was to use the 66 frame, dash, etc. and swap over the 67's better sheet metal, light kit, and engine. I was unaware that the engines from the 66 and 67 were different and noticeable...? :confuse:

Picture 031.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 030.jpg

#25 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 27, 2010 - 10:36 AM

You know,from the pictures,neither one looks all that bad.

Edited by mjodrey, October 27, 2010 - 05:53 PM.

#26 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 27, 2010 - 05:48 PM

I would start with the 66 tractor, remove the hood and grille as one assy and use that on the 66. I would also have the seat re-upholstered and use that two-tone seat. I am not sure on this, but it's only the very early tractors that I have seen with that gray two-tone. You have an AWESOME seat to copy from, as it looks close to being intact. I, for one, would like some close up shots of that seat. I might use that as a template for the trim shop when I have mine done over.

*So you take the hood & grille off the 67 and use them.
*Then take the best tool box pan and use it on the 66
*Keep the stock seat, but send the pads out to be recovered with new padding. I would match the original as close as you can. This should be pretty easy for a trim shop to do.
* Swap the running motor into the 66.

The rest of the tractor, from what I can see... looks pretty good. Once you have the 66 all done, THEN start to look for parts that will allow you to rebuild the 67. It looks like the only thing you really need is a new hood. They pop up on e-bay from time to time. Or, keep an eye out for a parts tractor... $100 can find you a decent tractor if you get lucky~

#27 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 27, 2010 - 05:51 PM

I do believe I see two restorable tractors sitting there. I think the 66 should be your primary goal and put all the best parts on that one. Like has been mentioned I am pretty sure headlights were an option then too and even if there was a chance that they weren't it would have been common for owners to add them.

#28 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 27, 2010 - 05:55 PM

I do believe I see two restorable tractors sitting there.

:iagree:

#29 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 27, 2010 - 07:10 PM

I do believe I see two restorable tractors sitting there.

:iagree: Also

The easiest way I found to get parts is buy another tractor.

I believe the seat you have is white and black, that feature IMO you should try to keep.

DMF one fellow you want to talk to is "Tweidman" I learned alot for him when I did my 66MF10.

Attached Thumbnails

• !BiKMh!QB2k~$(KGrHqMH-EEEsMEYijYlBLNVltvmh!~~_3.jpg

Edited by DH1, October 27, 2010 - 08:18 PM.
added content

#30 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 - 09:26 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement! I spoke to my Father-in-law last night (he can rebuild any engine....seriously) and he is probably more excited than I am about this project!

FirefyterEmt - I'll try to get some more pictures over the weekend along with those measurments you wanted. I am going to visit Park Auto Trim in the very near future to see about getting a bench seat recovered for my dump truck. I'll bring that seat down with me when I go so he can check it out and give me a price. If it's good for you, maybe we can get them done at the same time while he has mine down there for a pattern...?

Doug - Thanks for the tip; I will look up Tweidman and see if he'd be willing to share some insight with me as well...