Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What Is Best Replacement Engine For An '83 John Deere 318?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 oldjoetowns OFFLINE  

oldjoetowns
  • Member No: 34895
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 02:34 PM

I am tired of replacing the starter every spring, and also the puddle of oil on the garage floor, so I want to replace the Onan antique engine with a higher horsepower, more effecient one.  I Googled and Binged for replacement engines, and there are several options.  I would like to get rid of some past problems with fuel pump, and ignition, so am looking for electronic ignition and fuel injection.  I know the vast knowledge base at this site, so I am sure someone can direct this 3/4 of a century old curmuggen in the right direction 

#2 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 07, 2013 - 02:57 PM

I would take the Onan over almost anything available today.

#3 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 927 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 03:08 PM

I would take the Onan over almost anything available today.

I agree I have one with over 1000 hrs still runs strong but I like Onan engines

#4 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 03:18 PM

If you don't want to put up with tinkering with it, just turn the key and go, I suggest the Honda 20 or 24 hp repower kit. My experience with Honda has been flip the switch, choke, pull the rope, and go.

• MolonLabe said thank you

#5 John@Reliable ONLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 03:23 PM

I agree with the others, not much better than a Onan, considering it's 30 years old might be time to have it rebuilt and enjoy it for another 30 years. Most new high horse power motors sold today, couldn't out work an old 12 hp from the 70's. :thumbs:

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 03:31 PM

I can't argue with fixing the ONAN. My brother installed a 23HP Briggs Vanguard in his JD 420 last summer.

He says it runs fine and is a smooth engine, but does not have the torque the 20 hp Onan had.

He said if he had it to do over he would have rebuilt the Onan.

Much as I like my 318, if it came down to an engine swap I think I would go with a newer 400 Series with the Kawasaki engine. So I'm hoping the Onan runs forever!!

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 07, 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 04:59 PM

Welcome to the forum!  We'd love to see a picture of your Deere if you have a way to post it.

If I had an engine to swap with you, I would straight swap the Onan with any modern engine there is.  My suggestion would be to try to find someone who can rebuild it and fix the oil seals, electrical issues, and give it a good overhaul.

Ben W.

#8 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:14 PM

My 1970 Allis 620 has the original un-rebuilt Onan CCKB engine and is still running strong. Why in the world would you want to buy some CHEAP Chinese replacement piece of crap to replace a tried and true superior engine????

#9 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 927 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:22 PM

My 1970 Allis 620 has the original un-rebuilt Onan CCKB engine and is still running strong. Why in the world would you want to buy some CHEAP Chinese replacement piece of crap to replace a tried and true superior engine????

the CCKs were cast iron block very good engine.

#10 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 08:05 PM

well i went form the onan that blew up to a kseries kholer, but now im to a 4 banger out of a chevy luv, but im going a little past the extreme side, if it were me and the block was still good i would rebuild what you have so it would last 30 more years of good service

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00535.JPG
  • DSC00558.JPG

Edited by nbent, May 07, 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#11 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 09:27 PM

Common options with repower kits available for bolt-in swaps include:

• Briggs Vanguard 
  • Kohler Command 
  • Honda

All of the above are available in various HP ratings.  My reading causes me to lean towards the Briggs Vanguard which are designed and built in Japan by Daihatsu.  They know small engines.

Briggs & Stratton Commercial Power designs and manufactures robust, high performance engines. Premium-grade Vanguard™ engines are application-engineered to power equipment that works for a living. Our team promises to work as hard as our Briggs & Stratton engines to earn the respect of everyone with whom we do business. We deliver the best total solution.

• Commercial-Driven Team that's all about lending the kind of support that positively impacts your bottom line.
  • Customer Focused to help you arrive at solutions that enable your customers to power through their day.
  • World-Class Products manufactured through alliances with Daihatsu, a member of the Toyota Group.
  • Application Expertise to assist in taking ideas from the drawing board to the job site.
  • Comprehensive Service and Support that includes an extensive dealer network, exclusive parts programs, and online resources.

There are people over at WFM that have swapped other engines into the 300 series including an water-cooled Kawasaki v-twin in a 317.  If I could get my hands on one I would also consider that option.  Here is the thread:

http://www.weekendfr.../335/84712.html

I would love one of these for my 120  :rocker2:

Kawasaki swap in a 318:  http://www.weekendfr...335/196515.html

Here are a few threads over there that talk about repower options:

http://www.weekendfr.../335/67872.html

http://www.weekendfr.../335/45110.html

http://www.weekendfr...335/191106.html

The last thread talks about the Kohler Command repower options from a company in Omaha called Pruitt.  They are great for support.  http://www.pruittoutdoorpower.com

Edited by Trav1s, May 07, 2013 - 09:28 PM.

#12 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 03:37 AM

I am tired of replacing the starter every spring, and also the puddle of oil on the garage floor, so I want to replace the Onan antique engine with a higher horsepower, more effecient one.  I Googled and Binged for replacement engines, and there are several options.  I would like to get rid of some past problems with fuel pump, and ignition, so am looking for electronic ignition and fuel injection.  I know the vast knowledge base at this site, so I am sure someone can direct this 3/4 of a century old curmuggen in the right direction 

Hmmm, maybe its time to "upgrade" to say a low hour X530, X540, 425, 445, or X475, X485.  Might find that option to be cost effective as long as you dont have tons of machine specific attachments for the 318 and pretty much plug and play.  Just throwin it out there, I know many folks here like to get the wrenches out on the old tired iron but I find that less fun as the years go by and now I pretty much just want to run em and let the wrenches sit.

#13 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 06:03 AM

I replaced the engine on my 83 318 a few years ago . i got the engine form a truck repair garage that was a Onan distribruter , at that time it was closed to $1,400 and it still needed a bushing to make the OEM pto clutch to fit the new engine and had to cut a notch in the frame to fit the starter solonid . I thought it was worth it but everyone is different , my wife thought I was crazy spending that much for an engine  at the time  a 20 year old tractor, but I knew it would last a long time  yet ( hope I didn't jink myself lol)   Good luck with your project  

#14 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 09:21 AM

3cyl Kubota Diesel.

• Trav1s said thank you

#15 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 10:34 AM

3cyl Kubota Diesel.

2cyl would work too.  Or Yanmar...

Edited by Trav1s, May 08, 2013 - 10:35 AM.